Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Prog-Rock Songs w/ Female Vocals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 15:44
I'm having trouble finding 70s jazzy-prog with female vocalists... I'd love to find a band like Chicago, but with three female singers (as opposed to the three guys during the first handful of Chicago's good stuff).
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 20:00
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Only had a few albums, but they have some good stuff! Here's one song.

Hi,

I saw them at The Whiskey in Hollywood, and they put on a great show ... and I had that album for almost a year I think it was. Janita Haan made Iggy and the Stooges look like idiots on the playground! Sadly all the fans wanted was Iggy ... and I gladly walked out 20 minutes into it! (I appreciate him a bit more now, but then, it was all show and not enough go for me!)

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 20:11
Hi,

Some others that were good, for my ears, and one monumental one still not mentioned here.

SANDY DENNY. I miss her voice and style ... so pretty. And folks here still don't listen to REYNARDINE done in the incredible Fairport Convention album "Liege & Lief". Still one of the pretties things EVER recorded in rock music, and even Richard Thompson, has NEVER touched it again that I am aware of. It's like rock fans don't like pretty women music or something totally stupid!

ESPERANTO, and specially on their last album had a very strong voice. The "Last Tango" album is worth it. Super nice.

In the vein of not exactly "prog songs" JULIA MESSENGER gets my vote for some incredible stuff with Klaus Schulze specially "My Ty She" ... and she also has material on her own.

Edited by moshkito - April 18 2022 at 20:12
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 01:27
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I'm having trouble finding 70s jazzy-prog with female vocalists... I'd love to find a band like Chicago, but with three female singers (as opposed to the three guys during the first handful of Chicago's good stuff).
(Randy Masters) Solar Plexus are closer to something Flora Purim-era Return to Forever with almost Zeuhl-chanting (but not dark, or doom-laden. Closer to KA perhaps). This is from their second album Voices, 1976:

And if you don't know belgian band Cos already, both players and singer Pascale Son are magnificent. 

Eccentric Quebecians Toubabou left us with one terrific jazzrock-fusion/world... album.

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 13:14
Renaissance
Illusion
Curved Air
Earth & Fire (especially the first three albums)
Babe Ruth
Kate Bush

Edited by Boojieboy - April 19 2022 at 13:16
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 08:41
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Great prog, but vocals are controversial, just look up PA reviews:

Hi,

I'm not sure that at the time, SPECIALLY with having been released by Vertigo at a time when the Grand Father of Progressive Music, put out a whole bunch of albums, and all of then were extremely different and had touches in them that many folks thought were weird and off kilter. AND, many of these albums ended up being huge:

Here's a sampling:
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
Juicy Lucy - 1st
Black Sabbath - 1st
Cressida - 1st
Magna Carta - 1st
Uriah Heep - 1st
Nucleus - Elastic Rock
Dr. Strangely Strange - Heavy Petting
Patto - 1st
Gentle Giant - 1st
Frumpy - All Will Be Changed
Lighthouse - One Fine Morning
Catapilla - Catapilla
Jade Warrior - Jade Warrior
Ramases - Space Hymns
Aphrodite's Child - 666
Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Framed
Agitation Free - Malesch
Peter Michael Hamel - Hamel
AND that is just the first couple of years ... notice that a lot of the bands and folks have quite a bit of jazz influence/material in them. And others are simply way out there.

Some of the comments in the reviews on this band's two albums are done comparing to some of the folks tastes, and sadly, these comments take away something that was being done at the time that was valuable to a lot of the music that was appearing ... there was a lot of improvisation, and experimentation, just like theater, film, literature and other arts ... with the result that TODAY ... these "different" things are considered poor and not valid. 

The vocals, by the Meek sisters (so it seems, one in one album and the other in the other album), are not exactly about "lyrics" as we know them, and more than likely simply an ability to FLOW with the music and add words to it ... Damo went on to become famous for it ... but we can't allow a woman to do it! And folks like Flora Purim, and a lot of times Gilly Smith also added to the music without lyrics, and their touches made the music very special for many of us, even if we were not coming up with something silly as some sort of sensual this or that!

Will these "vocals" ever fit a CONVENTIONAL and top ten song on the PA lists with fans! HELL NO. Will they be accepted by many fans? I doubt it ... because the lyrics "don't tell them" what the music is all about, and in my book they fail to see the most important part of a lot of the music listed above ... it wasn't what it all was about ... it was about "experiencing the moment" ... and today's fans simply can not do it, and worse, they won't and sometimes will (instead) make very poor comments about a lot of the improvisations and experiments done all over in the time and place. The only bad side of it, is that we do not have a whole bunch of recordings from the Fillmore that showed how much poetry, visualization stuff was also being done around and with the bands playing ... but we all seem to think that is not worth anything and it is just pure chit covering the empty space between songs.

BTW ... think about one name that was involved in so many of these albums ... Mr. Gomelsky, the Grand Father of Progressive Music that will never get the credit and love he deserves ... but the amount of music he gave us ... is second to NONE.

www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 11:22
Bruford's Back to the Beginning.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 12:32

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 20 2022 at 12:42
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 13:00
Here's a little-known favourite of mine Once Again featuring Karen Lawrence from 1994: in 1978. Wacko

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 13:11
^ That wouldn't fit the brief to me, it sounds way more like pop-rock than Prog Rock to me (doesn't strike me as prog). ;) Although my suggestion was Earth & Fire's "Song of the Marching Children" and that album, at least (I noticed the OP later posted the whole album), I have seen described as prog rock lite and is on the pop side.

But as as is said in the opening post, "If YOU think it's prog..."
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 06:24
Hi,

Not listed anywhere near here or any kind of progressive community, but the work of SASHA LAZARD is incredible and the way her music was used in the film "MODIGLIANI" makes it even better.

It's a shame that there are so many divisions, but the work she has done is quite far out.
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 06:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ That wouldn't fit the brief to me, it sounds way more like pop-rock than Prog Rock to me (doesn't strike me as prog). ;) Although my suggestion was Earth & Fire's "Song of the Marching Children" and that album, at least (I noticed the OP later posted the whole album), I have seen described as prog rock lite and is on the pop side.
But as as is said in the opening post, "If YOU think it's prog..."

Hi,

It's sad for me that what came out almost 50 years ago as being "on the pop side" of things, which I think EARTH & FIRE kinda had in their earlier days, but it went away in their later material. The sad thing is that today, folks compare it to what they are listening to and something like this particular album, sounds rather soft and not as good or valid introduction to "progressive" ... but at the time? 

I bet we're not answering that question very well. It wasn't be "best" of the progressive world then where they came from, but it was a very honest and outstanding piece of music that deserved more appreciation, specially when it first came out.

As for "if you think it's prog ... " this is sad ... because that means prog doesn't exist since there would be a hundred billion definitions and favorites that would ruin it all. It's not the "fan" that defines prog, and it should never be, despite them being the ones that buy it. It's about the music itself, and I'm not sure that the fans are the best holders of the truth of what music is, or is capable of being. Specially within a commercial place, where the numbers are the rule and all else is not important. I kinda wish that PA admins would wake up to that some more ... so we could have a more inclusive and important valuation of what "progressive music" really is. 
www.pedrosena.com
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 10:14
A couple by Major Parkinson spring to mind, ie Madeleine Crumbles and Black Box
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 14:46
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

Renaissance
Illusion
Curved Air
Earth & Fire (especially the first three albums)
Babe Ruth
Kate Bush

All great!

My very favorites would be Curved Air, Illusion. I love the rest, and just found about Babe Ruth a few weeks ago, which I never heard before. I guess some might just consider them funk/jazz/pop that aren't the typical 2:30 song, but I really like them.

Have you heard of Carol of Harvest, Mellow Mood, Savage Rose? There's also Empire with Sidonie Jordan on vocals. Surprised there's barely any views on their official YouTube page, considering Peter Banks was the guitarist and co-founder of YES

And if you like Jane Relf like I do, you should check out Stairway - another project with McCarty. Those Yardbirds spawned a LOT! Despite the death of her brother Keith :(

Here's one really good album. The only one they did.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 15:15
12 favourite prog bands with female vocalists:-

Blackmore's Night (Candice Night)
Curved Air (Sonja Kristina)
Dead Can Dance (Lisa Gerrard)
Earth and Fire (Jerney Kaagman)
Frumpy (Inga Rumpf)
Illusion (Jane Relf)
Iona (Joanne Hogg)
Karnataka (Rachel Jones)
Magenta (Christina Booth)
Mostly Autumn (Heather Findlay & Olivia Sparnenn)
Renaissance (Annie Haslam & Jane Relf)
Solstice (Emma Brown)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 28 2022 at 02:56
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 01:55
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 02:06
My super-talented friend Emme Phyzema (I recommend all her work but this is one of my favourite tracks of hers; she performs everything except percussion):

From the 2021 album Temporary Triumph:
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 04:48
Emme is great
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 14:32
I don't think anyone mentioned Affinity. Their self titled album was released by Vertigo in 1970, with fantastic vocals by Linda Hoyle.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 14:55
Renaissance takes the cake for the "70s for me. 
Sandy Denny was really good, as well.

In the modern era, there are lots of great female vocalists.
Valerie Gracious of Phideaux is my favorite. Julie Kiss of To-Mera also is great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>