Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1957 horror move "Night of the Demon"

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you prefer the version with or without showing the demon?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [66.67%]
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1957 horror move "Night of the Demon"
    Posted: July 10 2020 at 07:39
The 1957 movie "Night of the Demon" is in my opinion one of the best horror movies of the 50s (together with "City of the Damned"). Script writer Charles Bennett intended not to show the demon at all, but producer Hal E. Chester thought the demon should be shown, and the movie was altered accordingly. Which way do you prefer and why? My vote most definitely goes to "not showing the demon"; your inner picture of the demon is much scarier than anything that could be shown.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 08:26
I haven't watched the movie (like I haven't watched pre-70s movies much), but my general opinion about showing or not showing the creatures in horror movies briefly is: "It depends". I think in some movies, not showing the horrifying creature is actually taking the easy way out. While, in some, it really adds to the mysterious and scary aspect of the movie.

Yet, the worst was The Blair Witch Project and that kind of horror. Even worse than Paranormal Activity crap, which is actually inspired by TBWP but with an actual supernatural element. Far from being scary, actually boring as a cheap soap opera, I'd say. A TBWP fan commenter wrote somewhere something like: "There was utter silence in the movie theater", to amplify his view about the movie and how breathtakingly scary the movie is and how the people watching it were nailed to their seats only gasping. One other guy, my hero, answered like: "There was utter silence, yes; as people in the cinema were in a deep sleep out of boredom". Hahah, it was a nice one. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I haven't watched the movie (like I haven't watched pre-70s movies much), but my general opinion about showing or not showing the creatures in horror movies briefly is: "It depends". I think in some movies, not showing the horrifying creature is actually taking the easy way out. While, in some, it really adds to the mysterious and scary aspect of the movie.

Yet, the worst was The Blair Witch Project and that kind of horror. Even worse than Paranormal Activity crap, which is actually inspired by TBWP but with an actual supernatural element. Far from being scary, actually boring as a cheap soap opera, I'd say. A TBWP fan commenter wrote somewhere something like: "There was utter silence in the movie theater", to amplify his view about the movie and how breathtakingly scary the movie is and how the people watching it were nailed to their seats only gasping. One other guy, my hero, answered like: "There was utter silence, yes; as people in the cinema were in a deep sleep out of boredom". Hahah, it was a nice one. 

I totally disagree about "Blair Witch Project". I remember the first time I saw it. When the credits of a movie start showing the audience usually gets up and leaves, but not this time. Everyone was glued to the seat; they all waited until the credits were over and the light went on again. That's how impressed everyone was by the movie, including me.

But I know that there is no middle ground for this movie; you either love it or hate it. What I love about it is how the relationship between the three protagonists slowly deteriorates. This is where the horror comes from.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 10 2020 at 08:42

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 08:52
I understand you. And yes, lots of people were really impressed and "nailed to their seats" because they were scared. I'm among the minority, in this sense, seemingly. That's why I called the other commenter "my hero", s/he made me feel I'm not alone. BTW, our cultures are very different country wise. I love your music, some of your films; but not your humour, as far as I've watched. Your horror? I guess, some of them appeal to my taste. I'm not a typical Turkish guy, by the way. There are people that like your humour here, but Greek and German humour is not my thing. Or perhaps, I haven't met the type(s) that would suit my liking, yet. Beer

Edited by Shadowyzard - July 10 2020 at 08:57
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 09:01

I understand you. And yes, lots of people were really impressed and "nailed to their seats" because they were scared. I'm among the minority, in this sense, seemingly. That's why I called the other commenter "my hero", s/he made me feel I'm not alone. BTW, our cultures are very different country wise. I love your music, some of your films; but not your humour, as far as I've watched. Your horror? I guess, some of them appeal to my taste. I'm not a typical Turkish guy, by the way. There are people that like your humour here, but Greek and German humour is not my thing. Or perhaps, I haven't met the type(s) that would suit my liking, yet. Beer

Maybe you will like this kind of humour, from German's greatest humorist ever.

The video is in German with English subtitles.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 09:05
^ It doesn't have embedded subtitles, nor could I find a way or button to add subtitles to the video.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 09:14

^ It doesn't have embedded subtitles, nor could I find a way or button to add subtitles to the video.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 09:21
This is exactly the type of German humour that I don't find funny at all.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 09:35

This is exactly the type of German humour that I don't find funny at all.

Really? For me this is incredibly funny.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 09:44
I don't find your taste about humour "inferior" or something, tastes are tastes. As long as a type of humour makes us laugh, it's just what that matters for oneself. Everybody deserves to laugh and enjoy life, and happy for you that you have this kind of humour to provide that. Honestly, it is not about the fact that our cultures are different, for me. Turkish culture is probably MUCH more different  than Japanese culture; than that of German culture, but I find some of their stuff funny. Just a matter of taste, I think. Embarrassed

Edited by Shadowyzard - July 10 2020 at 09:47
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 11:02
I've never seen it. Should I watch the version with the demon first? xD
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 21:49
I have only seen the version with the demon over the tracks,,,it did look a little fake during the close up...maybe they should have had more fog or smoke on it so it was more unclear.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 18:37
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

The 1957 movie "Night of the Demon" is in my opinion one of the best horror movies of the 50s (together with "City of the Damned"). Script writer Charles Bennett intended not to show the demon at all, but producer Hal E. Chester thought the demon should be shown, and the movie was altered accordingly. Which way do you prefer and why? My vote most definitely goes to "not showing the demon"; your inner picture of the demon is much scarier than anything that could be shown.

I thought the demon was pretty cool myself... if not for it... the movie would have pretty much forgotten today so that is why I suppose neither of us are filmmakers... make that film without... and blow your chance of being remembered or having threads like this

but yeah I do agree... my inner demons are far more scary than anything one can come up with in a Hollywoodflick

evil ex-morman satantic worshipping redheads ...  urgggg...   still wake up some nights in a cold sweat.... thinking of hrer coming over the railroad tracks to steal what little she left me of my soul...stark naked and with a pot and pan in each hand ...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply