Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [33.33%]
22 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Aerosol Grey Machine vs Renaissance
    Posted: July 10 2020 at 12:00
Two wildly different bands and sounds but corner stones of prog. Which debute of 1969 do you like and why.

Can they compared in any sence, in most part no but in small parts perhaps.

Both are early stages of prog and they are full on from the start.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 12:51
VDGG, easy. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 12:58
I like both albums, but I'm definitely a much bigger fan of Renaissance than I am of VDGG.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 13:21
Interesting. Two very good albums but both in my view in some distance of the best the two bands were capable of (well, in Renaissance's case that other band with the same nameWink). Need to listen again to know what I prefer.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 13:26
An interesting poll, both are albums before they quite found their sound or form some would say, and neither would varios people consider quite canonical in a way. I like both a lot, but the VdGG is the one I'm more likely to return to even though the non-Haslam Renaissance album appeals more to me than many, including many who enjoy later Renaissance. For a while that was my favourite Renaissance album. Another one that I find interesting is Supertramp's debut which some have derided (I love "Try Again").

This is definitely one of my very favourite Renaissance tracks, and most Renaissance fans I've come across don;t seem to refer to the debut album much (being much more into the Annie Haslam ones). I like how different it is to other later ones and the psychedelicish qualities.

Edited by Logan - July 10 2020 at 13:28
Just a fanboy passin' through.
arturfd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arturfd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 15:10
John Hawken X Hugh Banton is a very good fighting.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 17:42
VDGG all the way.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 18:35
Renaissance for sure.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 18:54
I don't know the Renaissance album, but I have to vote for my team... VdGG it is.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 23:45
Both wonderful albums.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 00:23
VDGG!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 01:26
Really like both, but I think Renaissance is already full blood prog album, when VdGG went into it fully in their next album. So it´s Renaissance. I also like it little more.

Edited by Mortte - July 11 2020 at 01:27
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 01:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I like both albums, but I'm definitely a much bigger fan of Renaissance than I am of VDGG.

Ooh yes
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 01:34
"Renaissance" - Renaissance
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 02:44
Renaissance by light years.
Their initial line up's reincarnation (the band Illusion) is also well worth a listen.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 04:20
I really like that VdGG album!
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 04:31
Easily Renaissance. Renaissance is an excellent debut. The Aerosol Grey Machine is a weak album for the standards of VDGD. Actually it's the only weak point of them in the 70's.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

Easily Renaissance. Renaissance is an excellent debut. The Aerosol Grey Machine is a weak album for the standards of VDGD. Actually it's the only weak point of them in the 70's.
Late-60’s !
I’ve had the Renaissance LP for decades and hardly spin it. I do love Kings and Queens, but the rest is a bit of a chore for me. I like the 2nd release, Illusion, more.
VDGG are just classic through and through.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:36
Ultimately I go for VDGG. I love Wanderer and Kings and Queens but don't get that much out of the rest of the Renaissance album. The VDGG album is more consistent and has a proper highlight., too, with Necromancer.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:35
Possibly my least favorite song from each lp...but I prefer Renaissance in this case.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>