Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Drama vs 90125

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Which Yes Record Do You Prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [68.66%]
21 [31.34%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes - Drama vs 90125
    Posted: July 13 2020 at 03:18
 vs 

Inspired by the other "Post-70's Yes Album" thread; we have these two divisive monsters of post-70's Yes epicness!

Which one do you prefer - and why?

GO!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 03:34
I'm voting for the Drama album, because I think Trevor "Buggles" Horn did a very  commendable job of stepping into Jon Anderson's shoes for one album, despite what some of the critics said. Thumbs Up

I might even post another Yes thread as a tribute to the Drama album. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 13 2020 at 03:36
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 04:02
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm voting for the Drama album, because I think Trevor "Buggles" Horn did a very  commendable job of stepping into Jon Anderson's shoes for one album, despite what some of the critics said. Thumbs Up

It's a good album and I agree Horn did a good job, although he did come unstuck at the live shows - I remember him going red in the face trying to reach some of the higher notes of the Anderson songs during the tour.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 04:17
This is a tough one. Although I've been familiar with 90125 since it was released, I've only been familiar with Drama for a few years. Thus, while Drama was surprisingly different as well as quite impressive, 90125 has a level of familiarity that is hard to overlook. I have always liked 90125, and feel that it is somewhat underrated by prog fans. So, I won't vote yet and will take some time to consider this.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 04:17
I really like both albums, but liked always more 90125. Horn was as good as later singers, but there are just better songs in 90125 as a whole.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 05:37
Quite a tough choice. I love both. I'll vote for 90125. It will need the votes!

90125 is one of the best albums of the 80's IMO. The album oozes confidence and optimism, and every track stands up. The weakest track is probably OOALH, and that doesn't irritate me nearly as much as half the drek Genesis released in the 80's. I like this incarnation of Yes, although the follow up was relatively weak IMO.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:02
Still Drama. All the way. But respect to 90125, it’s a goodie.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:21
90125 but i love Drama too

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:34
Drama by a mile.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:39
I'm not particularly fond of either, though I agree they're not bad albums. For some reason, I don't find the Yes magic in either album.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:59
Drama has good dharma.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 07:13
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's a good album and I agree Horn did a good job, although he did come unstuck at the live shows - I remember him going red in the face trying to reach some of the higher notes of the Anderson songs during the tour.
Yes, I recall Trevor Horn occasionally got unfairly booed at by the audience during the Drama tour. Confused

Maybe that's why Trevor Horn went back to being a producer - and a very good one too - after the drama of the Drama tour. Smile
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 07:14

90125 both are incredible
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 07:28
I like both but voting for Drama.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I'm not particularly fond of either, though I agree they're not bad albums. For some reason, I don't find the Yes magic in either album.

I know what you are saying---but voted for the album that has one of a kind genius (who can do anything) on guitar---Howe. Even if the music isn't 100% magic its always great to hear him play.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:06
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I know what you are saying---but voted for the album that has one of a kind genius (who can do anything) on guitar---Howe. Even if the music isn't 100% magic its always great to hear him play.
You make a good point here. Howe's guitar always makes a great difference, even though the music might not be up to par.
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:19
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I love Steve Howe's guitar, from The Yes Album to Relayer, these are among my favorite guitar albums of all time, I love the feeling, the tone, but..... as a guitarist myself, I disagree he can do anything with guitar. On the other hand, especially in later period (80s and on..) he is quite tedious, not inventive anymore (he is obviously in it only for money), his live playing is often sloppy and generally he is stuck mostly in his Chet Atkins's (albeit upgraded) country-tinged guitar. He cannot play clear fast staccato or adjust himself for heavier styles. He is versatile in terms of changing plethora of different string instruments but not much in style range. Technically he is overrated imo, his parts are not difficult to master (although his tone and writing style in early period are still very unique).

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:40
"Drama", of course.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:53
90125 bien sur!
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 10:30
Drama is up there with my favourite albums by Yes.
I liked Beverly Hills 90210/90125/OU812 at the time, but don't tend to listen to it much these days.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>