Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Drama vs 90125

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Which Yes Record Do You Prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [68.66%]
21 [31.34%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:47
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Is this poll symptomatic of the a switch of the demographic? I'd much rather rate supposedly derivative copy symphonic prog than the eighties sh*te that seems to have an uncomfortably large fanbase in the new demograph....

No. I've been here donkeys years, and there's always been some who appreciate 80's 'sh*te' Me included.

With the exception of Invisible Touch
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:54
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

This is a tough one. Although I've been familiar with 90125 since it was released, I've only been familiar with Drama for a few years. Thus, while Drama was surprisingly different as well as quite impressive, 90125 has a level of familiarity that is hard to overlook. I have always liked 90125, and feel that it is somewhat underrated by prog fans. So, I won't vote yet and will take some time to consider this.

I gave 90125 another listen and realised how much I enjoy the album as a whole. So I'm voting in favour of familiarity. Although Drama impressed me when I first heard it, it hasn't managed to compete well against the music I currently listen to.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - July 14 2020 at 07:56
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:12
Squire’s Ricky never sounded better than on Drama.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:39
Would've voted for 90125 from when I heard it the first time until a few years ago, but now Drama appeals to me much more.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 09:13
The one with numbers, it's a killer Pop album.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 09:55
90125. Drama is not bad, but most tracks are quite hit and miss.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 10:02
Surely 90125.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 11:01

I've always been reluctant to dip into albums like 'Going for the One', '90125', 'Big Generator', etc..  (being a relatively  purist/hard core progger, I always have been a little afraid in tackling them..  (don't wanna break the spell of what 'Yes' means or has meant to me (imo); though, well, ya know, that goes changing with time.. it doesn't have the importance once had) and also now that is virtually free checking them out..), so I don't have a thorough idea of many of them (in part a reason for being on PA). 

Did the duely re-run on 90125 though.

The past round, that said, Drama vs. Going for the One, sure taught me something though.. 'Going..' has goodies in there.. has a good sound generally, 'Parallels' a very welcomed dynamic piece, with Squire's bass adding heaviness and conversing nicely with the echoed and chorused catchy singing, as well as Howe's guitar and the incessant and loud keyboards (not changing my Drama vote though Approve, at least not yet..). 'Turn of the Century's fair too.. The hugely praised 'Awaken' barely does anything for me.

So, is Drama for me..  I don't put it on the same level of the past Yes' masterpieces, but it sure has a clear prog intent on it (stained with 80's cheesiness in some places, but it is there..).

Edited by Machinemessiah - July 14 2020 at 15:32
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 11:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Squire’s Ricky never sounded better than on Drama.

Truth.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm voting for the Drama album, because I think Trevor "Buggles" Horn did a very  commendable job of stepping into Jon Anderson's shoes for one album, despite what some of the critics said. Thumbs Up

It's a good album and I agree Horn did a good job, although he did come unstuck at the live shows - I remember him going red in the face trying to reach some of the higher notes of the Anderson songs during the tour.
Yes, I recall Trevor Horn occasionally got unfairly booed at by the audience during the Drama tour. Confused

Maybe that's why Trevor Horn went back to being a producer - and a very good one too - after the drama of the Drama tour. Smile
I saw a performance of the Drama tour. It was different, but I agree that Trevor Horn did not deserve to be booed. He gave quite a good performance.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 13:17
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm voting for the Drama album, because I think Trevor "Buggles" Horn did a very  commendable job of stepping into Jon Anderson's shoes for one album, despite what some of the critics said. Thumbs Up

It's a good album and I agree Horn did a good job, although he did come unstuck at the live shows - I remember him going red in the face trying to reach some of the higher notes of the Anderson songs during the tour.
Yes, I recall Trevor Horn occasionally got unfairly booed at by the audience during the Drama tour. Confused

Maybe that's why Trevor Horn went back to being a producer - and a very good one too - after the drama of the Drama tour. Smile
I saw a performance of the Drama tour. It was different, but I agree that Trevor Horn did not deserve to be booed. He gave quite a good performance.

I have heard also there were audiences that hadn´t noticed the line-up change, because they hadn´t advertised that at all.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Is this poll symptomatic of the a switch of the demographic? I'd much rather rate supposedly derivative copy symphonic prog than the eighties sh*te that seems to have an uncomfortably large fanbase in the new demograph....

No. I've been here donkeys years, and there's always been some who appreciate 80's 'sh*te' Me included.

With the exception of Invisible Touch

There's probably more than we think. Some of them just don't speak up because they are afraid of being shamed by people like Mr. M27. Might just be afraid that more people on here actually have diverse musical tastes and definitions of progressive/prog and don't subscribe to a purist view.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 18:28
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

I've always been reluctant to dip into albums like 'Going for the One', '90125', 'Big Generator', etc..  (being a relatively  purist/hard core progger, I always have been a little afraid in tackling them..  (don't wanna break the spell of what 'Yes' means or has meant to me (imo); though, well, ya know, that goes changing with time.. it doesn't have the importance once had) and also now that is virtually free checking them out..), so I don't have a thorough idea of many of them (in part a reason for being on PA). 

The past round, that said, Drama vs. Going for the One, sure taught me something though.. 'Going..' has goodies in there.. has a good sound generally, 'Parallels' a very welcomed dynamic piece, with Squire's bass adding heaviness and conversing nicely with the echoed and chorused catchy singing, as well as Howe's guitar and the incessant and loud keyboards (not changing my Drama vote though Approve, at least not yet..). 'Turn of the Century's fair too.. The hugely praised 'Awaken' barely does anything for me.

So, is Drama for me..  I don't put it on the same level of the past Yes' masterpieces, but it sure has a clear prog intent on it (stained with 80's cheesiness in some places, but it is there..).

Tempus Fugit is a killer track.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 19:11
With a handle like Machine Messiah, I think we can all pretty much guess who you voted for. LOL!!
I still think you should give 90125 a spin sometime. It’s always good to branch out a bit. Of course, it is not the Yes that you know, just like the Howe version was so different from the Banks version. If you’re eating a carob bar, and if you expect it to taste like chocolate, you’ll be disappointed. But, if you enjoy it for what it is - carob - you might find that you like it. Trevor Rabin is not Steve Howe, never will be, and really shouldn’t be expected to sound anything like him. He sounds exactly like who he is, and good on him for staying true to himself. I do think they should have changed the band’s name, which is what was supposed to have happened. Rabin originally signed on with Cinema, not Yes. So, just think of it as “Cinema” and forget the Yes name altogether. On another note, I’ve discovered many recommendations on PA, and have really been enjoying them.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 20:39
I'm actually quite surprised 90125 has this many votes. My guess would be that 15 years ago it would be lucky to have 5 votes. I guess that's good in a way because it means these days there aren't as many prog snobs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 22:49
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

With a handle like Machine Messiah, I think we can all pretty much guess who you voted for. LOL!!
I still think you should give 90125 a spin sometime. It’s always good to branch out a bit. Of course, it is not the Yes that you know, just like the Howe version was so different from the Banks version. If you’re eating a carob bar, and if you expect it to taste like chocolate, you’ll be disappointed. But, if you enjoy it for what it is - carob - you might find that you like it. Trevor Rabin is not Steve Howe, never will be, and really shouldn’t be expected to sound anything like him. He sounds exactly like who he is, and good on him for staying true to himself. I do think they should have changed the band’s name, which is what was supposed to have happened. Rabin originally signed on with Cinema, not Yes. So, just think of it as “Cinema” and forget the Yes name altogether. On another note, I’ve discovered many recommendations on PA, and have really been enjoying them.

Hehe.. yeah I wanted to choose a song for a name that wasn't one of the 'main', most well-known ones, but maybe an underrated jewel (I know MM is well known and appreciated); in the spirit of this Site, that is to meet, sometimes little-known stuff.

I appreciate your post, really. I kept thinking maybe my post could come across not so well to some (not saying you)..  sorry for that! Embarrassed

I totally hear you, and will apply your advice, though I think I do it somehow..  'Owner of a Lonely Heart' for example I find it superb, no mixed feelings there or anything. The guitar is fantastic.

By the way, with Genesis I was the same before..  but somehow I found it easier with the Collins' era (I liked Phil Collins as a solo artist before meeting Genesis), but with Yes, a specially dear to me, it has always been harder (with Genesis are only the early 80's ones, I mean not much further, it is true that I'm anchored mainly in the 70's..   it just is the style and spirit I love).

I'm a long-time great fan of Howe by the way, and can play some of his pieces on guitar. Some time ago I learnt about Chet Atkins too. I liked very much what you said and the vid you posted about him. Beer

Edited by Machinemessiah - July 14 2020 at 22:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 23:48
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Tempus Fugit is a killer track.

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 00:26

Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Hehe.. yeah I wanted to choose a song for a name that wasn't one of the 'main', most well-known ones, but maybe an underrated jewel (I know MM is well known and appreciated); in the spirit of this Site, that is to meet, sometimes little-known stuff.

I appreciate your post, really. I kept thinking maybe <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : rgb255, 255, 255; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">my post </span>could come across not so well to some (not saying you)..  sorry for that! Embarrassed

I totally hear you, and will apply your advice, though I think I do it somehow..  'Owner of a Lonely Heart' for example I find it superb, no mixed feelings there or anything. The guitar is fantastic.

By the way, with Genesis I was the same before..  but somehow I found it easier with the Collins' era (I liked Phil Collins as a solo artist before meeting Genesis), but with Yes, a specially dear to me, it has always been harder (with Genesis are only the early 80's ones, I mean not much further, it is true that I'm anchored mainly in the 70's..   it just is the style and spirit I love).

I'm a long-time great fan of Howe by the way, and can play some of his pieces on guitar. Some time ago I learnt about Chet Atkins too. I liked very much what you said and the vid you posted about him. Beer

It is no small feat to play Steve Howe’s music. I wish I could pull off some of his more difficult finger-style picking, and I will have to keep at it. Our little band covered Long Distance Runaround back in the day, but that is one of their easier pieces. It was great fun to double the harmony with a second guitarist. The Yes Album and Fragile appeal to me the most from that era, although I realize most folks here prefer CTTE. It can be unsettling when a band changes its sound or replaces members of the group. Sometimes, the magic seems to disappear altogether, but other times something fresh can come out of it. Still, other times people will tell me how great the new sound is but it will do nothing for me. It is funny how music appeals to different people. Anyway, I enjoy reading these polls if not just to see how out of touch I am . I have an album called Neck and Neck with Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler and it is a hoot. It is rare when I buy country albums and they are usually those early greats that I mentioned before. The jazz guitarists from time past were equally brilliant. There are just a few videos of Django Reinhardt out there, but they are well worth watching, especially considering that, like Phil Keaggy, his hand was damaged. Wes Montgomery is another favorite, and while people always mention Hendrix (and rightly so), Montgomery was another who left us way too soon. Cheers!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 00:29
90125.  I'm one of the purists who never considered "Drama" to be a true Yes album for some reason. 

"Drama" was a decent LP, but 90125 really blew the doors off back in the day!  My favorite track remains "It Can Happen." 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 10:43
For me it would be Machine Messiah vs Owner of a Lonely Heart... Drama it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>