Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Drama vs 90125

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which Yes Record Do You Prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [68.66%]
21 [31.34%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 21:27
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

It looks like I’m Running out of options.

It's ok. Someone has to final eyes it. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 22:58
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I'm waiting for the Tormato  vs. Open Your Eyes poll. LOL
I thought few seconds to make it, but then noticed Tormato would absolutely win (I would have voted Open Your Eyes). I believe there are people who hate Open Your Eyes even never heard it.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 23:27
If you asked me 20 years ago I would have said Drama.  But after that I all in on 90125.  Both a quite good but I still will play 90125 but Drama never enters my mind when I want to listen to Yes anymore. 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 23:40
I rank 90125 about as highly as Invisible Touch, which is not very high. Drama on the other hand is one of their better albums.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 23:58
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I rank 90125 about as highly as Invisible Touch, which is not very high. Drama on the other hand is one of their better albums.

I would tend to agree. 90125 is middle of the pack Yes in my book. The Ladder, Magnification, Talk, Big Generator and ABWH are all more interesting albums with much of the depth of old Yes that 90125 lacks.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 13 2020 at 23:59
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 00:22
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

90125!!!

Not fake Yes!

There. I think I countered them all. I love Drama (see other thread) but 90125 kicks booty!

How is 90125 also not "fake" YES? Lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 00:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I would tend to agree. 90125 is middle of the pack Yes in my book. The Ladder, Magnification, Talk, Big Generator and ABWH are all more interesting albums with much of the depth of old Yes that 90125 lacks.

Crazy, I feel the same way!

There's some hella catchy tunes on 90125, but outside of Owner of A Lonely Heart, not much sticks with me (Ok, ok, Leave It rules too!). Cinema is a great little instrumental, but that could've been anyone!

Drama is like Chris Squire unchained.

This is exactly how my mind sees it as well. I enjoy it miles ahead of Invisible Touch, though; it just marks the end of what I'd call traditional Yes music. Drama is like Yes reinventing themselves in all the right ways IMHO!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 01:05

There are not any as cheesy songs in 90125 as the title song of Invisible or "In Too Deep". On the other hand I really like "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", "Land Of Confusion", "Domino" & "the Brazilian".
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 01:25
How can anybody deny that 90125 is AOR? Like feckin flat earthers.. or knobs, like young earth creationists...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 01:30
And Drama has a stench of cheesy eighties pop that cannot be denied, obviously the bass comes to the fore as a lot of it sounds like level 42....with buggles cheesiness bolted on....

Edited by M27Barney - July 14 2020 at 01:34
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 03:09
I like Drama a lot and think it was a successful attempt to update the established Yes style. Does it Really Happen? sounds like old-style Prog mixed with New Wave synth pop/rock and it actually works. 90125 is an enjoyable album with some good songs, but it's still basically Yes going AOR and I don't play it as much as Drama.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 03:26

90125 is leagues ahead of Invisible Touch. IT is a pop album. I struggle to even recognise it as Genesis at times. 90125 is a groundbreaking album; brilliantly played melodic hard rock with Trevor Horn/Art of Noise style production, is arguably more progressive and refreshing than anything on Drama, which basically sounds like the Buggles jamming with Chris Squire. Invisible Touch is measurably mostly rubbish.

That said I do love Drama, I'm just fighting the corner for the unloved masterpiece that is 90125. It would be in my top 5 Yes albums..    and to be fair Drama would probably there too. I like the Buggles, what can I say..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 03:44
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

There are not any as cheesy songs in 90125 as the title song of Invisible or "In Too Deep". On the other hand I really like "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", "Land Of Confusion", "Domino" & "the Brazilian".
Taking away the now dated production, above said tracks are pretty faithful Genesis compositions.
I’d love to hear the Invisible Touch album songs, played with the Selling England instrumentation and production. It would be an interesting result methinks.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 14 2020 at 03:44
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 04:59
^ can SEBTP be mentioned in the same thread as IT? Completely non overlapping magesteria musically speaking...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 05:22
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ can SEBTP be mentioned in the same thread as IT? Completely non overlapping magesteria musically speaking...
Yes, but, how much better would, say, Tonight Tonight Tonight sound with Hammond, Mellotron, Arp synth, Rickenbacker bass, natural drums, Hackett Guitar etc.......??
P.S. sorry for derailing the topic.....

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 14 2020 at 05:23
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 05:54
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Taking away the now dated production, above said tracks are pretty faithful Genesis compositions.
I’d love to hear the Invisible Touch album songs, played with the Selling England instrumentation and production. It would be an interesting result methinks.
To me "In Too Deep" is lot cheesier than "More Fool Me". But you´re partly right, I think it´s those electric drums and sounds that irritate me in "Invisible Touch" song and also in album generally. Heard that title song not a long ago from the radio and it wasn´t that bad anymore.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:19
It's the sound of IT that lets it down the most. There's probably three strong songs on that album, but the whole thing sounds like it's being played by a bog standard 80's sequencer. When you consider the rich drum sound Collins used to produce from Trick through to Duke, to be reduced to that generic 80's tuppaware sound is depressing.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:38
Drama is an excellent album, both for Yes catalogue and for 1980 prog, why some peoples complain about, is beyond me.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:42
Is this poll symptomatic of the a switch of the demographic? I'd much rather rate supposedly derivative copy symphonic prog than the eighties sh*te that seems to have an uncomfortably large fanbase in the new demograph....
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:23
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I'm not particularly fond of either, though I agree they're not bad albums. For some reason, I don't find the Yes magic in either album.

My views exactly.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>