Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When do you think Genesis jumped the shark?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: When did Genesis jump the shark?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.67%]
14 [31.11%]
1 [2.22%]
2 [4.44%]
2 [4.44%]
6 [13.33%]
9 [20.00%]
8 [17.78%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 22:30
Follow You Follow Me. Even though is a good song, it was intended to appeal to the more radio-oriented audience of the times.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 23:21
^ I can go with that 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 23:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I had to find out what "jumping the shark" meant first of all, and for me, it was everything from the 1980 Duke album onwards. Thumbs Down

ConfusedEmbarrassed Me too @Psychedelic Phil...For mw the downhill onwards was the single "Follow You, Follow Me" but the album apart from FYFM and MTM is a great album and i agree with @Psycchedelic Phil on the everything after 1980  Duke   onwards Thumbs Down for me too!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 23:49
Invisible Touch.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 23:59
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Other - Who Dunnit

indeed
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 01:34
they didn't jump the shark on singes, but with album, IMHO.

ATTWT and Duke, ASAIAC, they're still honest attemps at being themselves in a changing musical landscape, despite three crummy single hits singles (not sure YOSW was a "hit" or a "single", though) to promote their albums.

They really started sucking the bag with Abacrap (and No reply), though I do have a soft spot for Shapes' A-side (That's all was a pleasant pop single, something the cruddy Illegal Alien wasn't)
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 01:59
Well Genesis always had those sugary bits once per album or so (More Fool Me, Carpet Crawlers, Ripples, Your Own Special Way), some of them better and some worse (definitely had too much of it on Wind & Wuthering...)

But only later they deliberately tried to come up with a pop hit and didn't bother to hide it, so maybe I will vote on Follow You Follow Me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 00:37
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

ATTWT and Duke, ASAIAC, they're still honest attemps at being themselves in a changing musical landscape, despite three crummy single hits singles (not sure YOSW was a "hit" or a "single", though) to promote their albums.

They really started sucking the bag with Abacrap (and No reply), though I do have a soft spot for Shapes' A-side (That's all was a pleasant pop single, something the cruddy Illegal Alien wasn't)

I do like Dodo/Lurker , Keep It Dark and the title track. The production was excellent but there are some real stinkers on that album admittedly. I don't mind No Reply (okay its essentially a Collins solo track and so is 'filler' but I don't hate it).
I was depressed at the time though because they were clearly handing in their 'prog badge' and were not shy to say it. But as everyone else was doing the same then it wasn't surprising. Although the 'Shapes' album gets praised I've always found it insipid. I also hate Mama way more than anything else they did!

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 05:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I do like Dodo/Lurker , Keep It Dark and the title track. The production was excellent but there are some real stinkers on that album admittedly. I don't mind No Reply (okay its essentially a Collins solo track and so is 'filler' but I don't hate it).
I was depressed at the time though because they were clearly handing in their 'prog badge' and were not shy to say it. But as everyone else was doing the same then it wasn't surprising. Although the 'Shapes' album gets praised I've always found it insipid. I also hate Mama way more than anything else they did!

the only thing I don't mind on Abacrep is Abacab (title track), the rest is atrocious iMHO.... not least the fault of Paghdam, which was the architect of so many awful 80's albums.

Yeah, at first, heavy WTF for Mama, but it's still miles better than Shapes' filpside and the awful IT. If I hear Mama nowadays on the radio (where else what I hear it), I won't necessarily zap it away like I did back then.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 05:32
I wondered about doing a post-1970's Genesis albums poll, but there are really no albums worth voting for in my opinion, after "jumping the shark" with the 1980 Duke album. Smile
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 10:26
There are only a handful of songs of theirs that I don't like, but the one I despise is Anything She Does. Now I know that many here hate the whole Invisible Touch album, but I'm not one of them. But ASD is their lower than whale sh*t on the bottom of the ocean song.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 10:50
Well...everything after Wind was downhill for me so I guess with Follow You....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 14:56
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

There are only a handful of songs of theirs that I don't like, but the one I despise is Anything She Does. Now I know that many here hate the whole Invisible Touch album, but I'm not one of them. But ASD is their lower than whale sh*t on the bottom of the ocean song.
Interesting. The title song is worse.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 15:10
Never mind the music, dressing up like a flower is shark jumping defined.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 15:37
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

LOLBeer

well it was either that and steal from Italian bands like Osanna whom they toured with and made them look as boring as they were or ..not surprisingly

get dropped by their label...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 16:54
I don't really know.  They successfully transitioned to a pop band so in that sense they achieved more than almost any band could be expected to.  In fact, what I hated most about their 1980s sound was the loudness of the drumming.  Absolutely intolerable for me on most of the tracks
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 17:34
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

A flower?

Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 00:16
Genesis aka Shapes
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 00:51
Did I say this already - it was a gradual progression. Maybe Abacab was the significant noticeable change, but it was heading that way since Wind and Wuthering. They never jumped as such, but grudually morphed into Pop style songs. They wrre good at what they did.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 09:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Genesis always had Pop inclinations from the very start. It is very difficult to have the same worldview when you’re 40, to when you were 22. I think they never ‘jumped the shark’, as the Pop side of things was a gradual progression a became the dominant styling. Hey, I love the full-blown Prog Genesis of old as much as the next Progger, but I always find time to enjoy Abacab or self-title at the drop of a hat

^this

They became much better SONGwriters with age. I mean of course, "The Musical Box", "Supper's Ready", "The Cinema Show", hell to the yeah and all that, but Shapes and Invisible Touch are both peak pop music for me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>