Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When do you think Genesis jumped the shark?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: When did Genesis jump the shark?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.67%]
14 [31.11%]
1 [2.22%]
2 [4.44%]
2 [4.44%]
6 [13.33%]
9 [20.00%]
8 [17.78%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When do you think Genesis jumped the shark?
    Posted: July 15 2020 at 13:36
 OK, I may get beat up a little for this one but here goes. ( it's just for fun kids!) 
For The record I like some of these songs but they are definitely some of the the more pop Genesis tunes.
So when (if at all)  did they "jump the shark?"

Edited by Argo2112 - July 15 2020 at 18:13
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 13:50
Genesis always had Pop inclinations from the very start. It is very difficult to have the same worldview when you’re 40, to when you were 22. I think they never ‘jumped the shark’, as the Pop side of things was a gradual progression a became the dominant styling. Hey, I love the full-blown Prog Genesis of old as much as the next Progger, but I always find time to enjoy Abacab or self-title at the drop of a hat.
Invisible Touch does push the friendship a little, but there’s still some complex things going on there.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 15 2020 at 13:55
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 13:50
More fool me....truly horrible and grubby little love song by the despicable collins....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 13:58
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

More fool me....truly horrible and grubby little love song by the despicable collins....
That’s harsh. Harkens back to their first album.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 14:05
I had to find out what "jumping the shark" meant first of all, and for me, it was everything from the 1980 Duke album onwards. Thumbs Down
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 14:13
other
Whodunnit
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 14:16
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

True, Not a great song but do you feel they ever redeemed themselves after that? 
 Surly most Genesis fan look at SEBTP as one of their better albums overall. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 14:21
ummm.....  I think Greg nailed it in another thread...  Epping Forest...which was the chum n the water... which led to The Lamb which which couldn't even bother to swallow you.. but spit you out. Yuck...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 14:25
Idk, I think it's all good. No sense being mad about it all these years later, those prog albums aren't going anywhere and theres plenty of other music to listen to.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 15:48
There was always a pop sensibility hidden within the deep folds of their progressiveness, but the moment when that first came out successfully and deliberately was Follow You Follow Me. I enjoy the song myself, but it was meant to be the hit single it was. All other previous attempts were relatively fruitless. For example, I never heard I Know What I Like until long afterwards. Perhaps therein lies the difference between the U.K. and the west coast of the U.S.A.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 15:53
I love all of Genesis... But I find everything after ABACAB not as endearing.  I actually LIKED when they all wrote their OWN songs.  After they started writing together, it seemed more jam-bandy, poppy, and searching for a cash making riff.  

My preferred era of Genesis is Trick of the Tail to And Then There were Three (including Spot The Pigeon ep).  I think that is when they were at their peak.  Duke and Abacab were transitional and the Genesis album was the desperate for pop era when the did more GROUP composition (i believe).
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 16:09
Calling All Stations.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 17:27

From Trespass forwards, Genesis' delivered the goods for me.  Ok, I don't have much time for CAS but my opinion of it now is better than it was when it was released.  The only song of theirs that I despise is Anything She Does from IT.  But no definitive shark jumping.  You just had to go to other groups in the 80's onward for prog.  Their pop rock was very good with some hints of prog on each album.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 17:39
How is "your own special way" that much different than "ripples?"
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 18:10
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Really it's not that different. It's just one of the songs people tend to bring up when they talk about Genesis's 
transition from  a heavy weight prog band to more of a pop rock band in the 80's (with some prog flavor here and there)

I actually like some of the 80's stuff but they kind of lost me after the shapes ( S/T ) album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 18:35
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Really it's not that different. It's just one of the songs people tend to bring up when they talk about Genesis's 
transition from  a heavy weight prog band to more of a pop rock band in the 80's (with some prog flavor here and there)

I actually like some of the 80's stuff but they kind of lost me after the shapes ( S/T ) album.

Interesting. I really like some of the tracks on Invisible Touch and think it is probably proggier than shapes but shapes might be slightly more solid over all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 18:46
I'm going to say they jumped the shark with the lamb lies down on broadway. It was a double concept album with the weirdest storyline I've ever heard of and the live show featured Peter Gabriel dressed up in big bulbous bizarre costumes with warts on them. If that's not jumping the shark then nothing is!

For me the band selling out(or going pop) is a different story but that wasn't the question! Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 15 2020 at 18:48
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 18:57
Eh, no shark jumpery for me. I think there are great songs from Tresspass through We Can't Dance. If you mean to ask when did Genesis more or less become a pop band, I'd give it to Follow You Follow Me. Every album thereafter had at least an eye for the charts. Very little before then really seemed to care at all for chart success.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 20:22
Other - Who Dunnit
Welcome to the middle of the film.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 21:59
after Steve left there were no song for song great magical albums---Duke comes closest-- there are good songs on all Genesis albums but CAS is a bit of a train wreak ---if they had collaborated with Steve could have been interesting---but they actually thought they could continue to be a popular hit maker with some proggy stuff-- without Collins--.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>