0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War In The Stars
    Posted: July 17 2020 at 03:07

Well i’m a sci-fi geek so I was wondering if there’s any other sci-fi freaks here my own choice of number one favourite as to be “Doctor Who
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 03:10
Trek 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 03:27
Doctor Who with Jon Pertwee for me and I'm old enough to remember the original Tomorrow People too. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 03:45
I've been a Doctor Who fan since Patrick Troughton but I have to go for Star Wars.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 04:41
I'm a near lifetime fan of Doctor Who (but not into the Chibnall/ "fam" era -- I also went off Doctor Who in the 80s), The Tomorrow People, UFO and Star Trek, but when I saw the title I looked for one specifically in the list that I have also been into since I was young, Blake's 7. That show could be quite bleak indeed. A bold start and a bold finish.

While I loved Star Wars, the earliest-made two especially, as a young child, those didn't continue to hold my interest. That said, I do want to see the Mandalorian.

Sci-fi TV, books, and film has been my comfort food in a way for most of my life. I did stop watching and reading most sci-fi kind of things throughout my 20s and into my early 30s, but came back to it in a sort of nostalgic way.

By the way, one who likes Farscape might like Lexx. I like a tonne of sci-fi, most of it being Earth based.

Edited by Logan - July 17 2020 at 04:45
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Doctor Who with Jon Pertwee for me and I'm old enough to remember the original Tomorrow People too. Smile

me to

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've been a Doctor Who fan since Patrick Troughton but I have to go for Star Wars.

Love Star Wars

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 10:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm a near lifetime fan of Doctor Who (but not into the Chibnall/ "fam" era -- I also went off Doctor Who in the 80s), The Tomorrow People, UFO and Star Trek, but when I saw the title I looked for one specifically in the list that I have also been into since I was young, Blake's 7. That show could be quite bleak indeed. A bold start and a bold finish.

While I loved Star Wars, the earliest-made two especially, as a young child, those didn't continue to hold my interest. That said, I do want to see the Mandalorian.

Sci-fi TV, books, and film has been my comfort food in a way for most of my life. I did stop watching and reading most sci-fi kind of things throughout my 20s and into my early 30s, but came back to it in a sort of nostalgic way.

By the way, one who likes Farscape might like Lexx. I like a tonne of sci-fi, most of it being Earth based.

That’s what makes sci-fi cool

Music Is Live

<
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 12:00
Firefly
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 14:14
Star Trek?

enough said man... and not that Next Gen stuff...  old school Trek...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 14:30
I was trying to decide between Star Wars and Star Trek and broke the tie with Stargate SG-1.  :)  I am a sci-fi fan.  I am actually currently binging on Star Trek Deep Space Nine.  I have watched a number of episodes over the years but with the power of Netflix I am now watching them in order from the beginning.  Still in the first season but hoping to make it through all of them and then doing the same with Voyager.  I've watched most of the Next Gen episodes years ago and watched all of the Star Trek Enterprise episodes when it was originally airing.  I've always been a big Star Wars fans...even the Jar Jar Binks movies and the latest three.  For my birthday I got an annual membership to Disney +, mostly so I can watch the Mandalorian.  

My vote went to SG-1 though, because that was one that I bought all the seasons on DVD and was must watch TV for me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 14:33
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Star Trek?

enough said man... and not that Next Gen stuff...  old school Trek...

While I always have favourited the original series, I loved the last series Star Trek: Picard. It was heartfelt, poignant, it was really meaningful to me.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 14:36
nah man..... can't really say I dig Picard.. perhaps had something..  well.. a LOT with dating this hard core Trekie who called me Picard and told me to make it so...at a most inappropriate time.

sort of killed the love for him from then till forever man.... some scars never heal
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 14:47
That's too bad, because the recent series Picard was so beautiful (even if it went too body horror at least once -- really gruesome). The way it dealt with his frailty, mortality, and 7 of 9 was kick-ass great. Issues of friendship, loyalty... I loved it. To me this was a wonderful continuation. I have watched every Star Trek series to date and the latest was amongst my very favourites (it would help to know and like TNG).

Just last night I watched the Star Trek pilot again, with Jeffrey Hunter. I like Kirk, but I would loved to see more of the direction that Roddenberry was going with the pilot (I did prefer post-pilot Spock).

By the way, those that haven't seen Blake's 7 and are into classic sci-fi are I think really missing out (check youtube).

Edited by Logan - July 17 2020 at 15:02
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 14:54
yeah...  I can dig that... but you'd understand if you had been in my sheets

he was a great character.. and suppose I can understand the love women seemed to have for him. The Hawkeye Pierce of the.. whatever those were.. 80's.. 90's.. minus the Lothario shtick.  I love having long hair... but he did once tempt me to try the whole bald is sexy thing...  but again.. any thoughts of that went up in smoke and suds..
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 14:58
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Well i’m a sci-fi geek so I was wondering if there’s any other sci-fi freaks here 

Ahh, Ming the Merciless, nice choice.   In  fact, I'd have to go with the original Flash Gordon serial.   Really well done for the time, and you can't tell me George Lucas wasn't directly influenced by it.

Flash Gordon (serial) - Wikipedia

Flash (Buster Crabbe) fights a disguised Prince Barin (Richard Alexander) in a &amp;quot;tournament of death&amp;quot; using swords in the 1936 movie serial &amp;quot;Flash Gordon.&amp;quot;

Edited by Atavachron - July 17 2020 at 15:53
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 06:02
Star Trek but I like this one too.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 10:05
Star Trek was my first exposure to a serial space wars thing...but came to be a fan of Dr Who after 1975 so I guess Who, but I loved Babylon 5 , Stargate , and of course the Star Wars saga.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 17:10
I grew up on a diet of Gerry & Sylvia Anderson particularly later with UFO and Space 1999. Also loved Blakes 7 and Tomorrow people. Loved the original Star Trek, loved the whole concept, the multinational-ness of the crew and whilst I enjoyed the later films and series (what I saw of them) I remained loyal to the original. I have always been ambivalent about Doctor Who though I did enjoy the Jon Pertwee era. A special mention has to be made to 'Quatermass and the Pit', 'Them' and other 50's and 60's Sci-Fi films which scared the sh*t out of me as a young boy! 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 17:44
^ Wasn't Space:1999 originally conceived as a followup to UFO ?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>