0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 00:30
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Wasn't Space:1999 originally conceived as a followup to UFO ?

I Think So
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 15:31

^ Wasn't Space:1999 originally conceived as a followup to UFO ?

They're not connected apart from the fact they were both G&S Anderson and both part acted, part models.. as far as i'm aware anyway.. There were no conceptual links, characters or plot connections that I recallConfused but I could very easily be wrong! Anyone else got any ideas/ recollections?

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 15:38
This is what it says on Wikipedia though of course you can make of that what you will..

A proposed second series of UFO was not undertaken, and a return to marionettes in the television pilot for a series called The Investigator failed to find a buyer. Elements of the abandoned second series of UFO were eventually turned into what became the most expensive television series ever made at that time, Space: 1999.

essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 06:07

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Well i’m a sci-fi geek so I was wondering if there’s any other sci-fi freaks here 

Ahh, Ming the Merciless, nice choice.   In  fact, I'd have to go with the original Flash Gordon serial.   Really well done for the time, and you can't tell me George Lucas wasn't directly influenced by it.

Flash Gordon (serial) - Wikipedia

Flash (Buster Crabbe) fights a disguised Prince Barin (Richard Alexander) in a &amp;amp;quot;tournament of death&amp;amp;quot; using swords in the 1936 movie serial &amp;amp;quot;Flash Gordon.&amp;amp;quot;

I also loved the original Flash Gordon series, used to watch it as a kid in the summer holidays and it scared the crap out of me.....

Voted Doctor Who though, loved Tom Baker back in the day and have loved every minute since the reboot!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:49
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I was trying to decide between Star Wars and Star Trek and broke the tie with Stargate SG-1.  :)  I am a sci-fi fan.  I am actually currently binging on Star Trek Deep Space Nine.  I have watched a number of episodes over the years but with the power of Netflix I am now watching them in order from the beginning.  Still in the first season but hoping to make it through all of them and then doing the same with Voyager.  I've watched most of the Next Gen episodes years ago and watched all of the Star Trek Enterprise episodes when it was originally airing.  I've always been a big Star Wars fans...even the Jar Jar Binks movies and the latest three.  For my birthday I got an annual membership to Disney +, mostly so I can watch the Mandalorian.  

My vote went to SG-1 though, because that was one that I bought all the seasons on DVD and was must watch TV for me.

I really miss that show. Like what you're doing with DS9, I found the complete SG-1 on DVD about a year ago and watched them all in order. What a delight!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 11:25
Hi,

Can't vote ... too much stuff I can not make up my mind on. That said, here are some observations:

ST -- I was doing a lot of theater at the time ... and if there is one thing I really dislike in "film" and "theater" is the idea that a blue or pink scrim in the background is a "set" ... but if it worked for "A Star is Born" then it worked for "Star Trek" ... and I disliked it ... but just when it seemed they had a good idea, they turn it into a schmuck little nothing! I do think that ST trying in its reincarnation to being in better actors was nice, but they only brought 2 of them ... one English and one French ... but after them, the show suffered acting wise as it looked like the directing didn't bother with them.

SW -- I enjoyed the original, but then, I saw it in a theater that had the floors wired, and sound going every each way in that hall ... and the experience was insane specially in the ending sequence with explosions going off below some seats in the audience and all that ... well defined sound design for its showing ... but after that .. the whole thing became way too cartoonish for me, and I dropped out ... I think I have only seen the first 3 of these films ... and not bothered with the others.

Babylon 5 -- A nice premise and an interesting thing, that also was able to get Christopher Franke involved. However, the whole series is just a bunch of horribly directed and defined things within an hour, and the music was so badly used to the point that if my name was CF, I would have it removed, and have them go get a conventional idiot for the jingles!

Stargate SG1 and SG Atlantis -- the first person to play the part of Daniel was very good ... his replacement later was pathetic and the show did not survive it I do not think. The follow up was OK in its original line up but when they brought in that pair from England, it died a quick death ... it didn't fit them at all! The show also suffered when RDA left, and I enjoyed some of the guest stars in the original show ... some nice stuff. The pair from England, on their original show (Red something?) was much better and a lot more fun!

Doctor Who -- Maybe the day before I pass on, I will find out what the big thing about these really was ... I still don't get it, and find the whole thing really boring, specially the stuck up, upright acting!

Flash Gordon -- The original movie was more fun ... the redo was crap!

Of all these, I liked best FIREFLY and its movie SERENITY ... which had a great cast and was really well defined character wise, which is one of the things that hurt a lot of these sci-fi things.

There was a series of a show that was about the astronauts doing a time travel to 5 years earlier to stop the earth from blowing itself up or something like that ... it was an excellent show and its story line was very well done. I do not know the name of that show ... and would like to find it and see it again.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 01:35
Battlestar Galactica, anyone?
Firefly and BSG rule.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 07:13
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

There was a series of a show that was about the astronauts doing a time travel to 5 years earlier to stop the earth from blowing itself up or something like that ... it was an excellent show and its story line was very well done. I do not know the name of that show ... and would like to find it and see it again.

Hi,

Anyone know the name of this show? Plz and Thx
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 08:42
There was a time travel show called Seven Days that I really enjoyed where they went back in time 7 days to prevent certain things that happened within the past week from happening.  I don't think that is the show that you are referring to though.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 09:26
I do like/love some of the stuff among the poll options.

Does anyone know The Last Starfighter [movie (1984)]? An underrated gem methinks. I love the 80s and it mesmerizingly reflects the spirit of that grand decade.

The Arrival [movie (1996)] is also one of the most adventurous movies that I've watched. I don't want to give spoilers but I can say that I only like it as an adventure movie; I'm not buying the American grandiose delusions, paranoia etc. Cool

Anyway, I'll vote for Doctor Who.

Edited by Shadowyzard - September 27 2020 at 09:27
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 15:26
From this list Star Trek.

I find that Star Wars movies are just the same story over and over, gets a little boring. Only thing worth watching in it are the light sabre battles. Better off searching light sabres on the utube machine. It's like John Wick's gun kata. They could have put all the plot points from all three JW movies into one and had a great movie but you watch it for the gun fights, not the story. So they don't really give you any.

But what about Continuum?
Plot for those unaware:
To avoid their execution, a terrorist group escapes and travels back in time. A cop named Kiera is forced to follow them and bring them to justice with the help of experts.

Recent shows like Legion and The Umbrella Academy are gaining viewers as well.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 15:58
Ugh, I just lost a very long post.

Suffice to say, I have been watching Doctor Who after a long break, mostly the Capaldi/Moffat ones and I so miss them. Capaldi's Doctor had such gravitas. "Heaven Sent may be my favouite Doctor Who episode of all (even if he could have broken that wall down much faster) and I really liked the Doctor, Missy, Bill and Nardole dynamic. Much prefer those to the current "Team Tardis".

I did watch a Chibnall/ Whittaker era episode last night, "Orphan 55" -- ooh, I found that so very bad.
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:08
Pre-Disney Star Wars.
All is but God in God to God revealed;
and so all is, for naught but God is real.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12