Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Meshuggah - "COMBUSTION" how to hear REAL PULSE!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meshuggah - "COMBUSTION" how to hear REAL PULSE!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flamortimor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meshuggah - "COMBUSTION" how to hear REAL PULSE!
    Posted: July 18 2020 at 16:51
MESHUGGAH NERDALLERT! (Solving pulse mystery of "COMBUSTION"!)
Have some of you ever noticed that you might hear a "false" pulse in Meshuggah's song "Combustion" although there are hihats counting in at the beginning? But it always sounded odd to you? (for me too!)
Long ago I couldn't understand why Thomas Haake counted us in like that and it sounded always totally off to my ears! Later I noticed in many comments that many people have had that difficulty too, although there are surely some (i believe not many) people hearing it "the right way". This doesn't mean that the other pulse is wrong or anyone is dumb, by not hearing it "correctly". I'm not trying offending anyone. Our ears have certain patterns they are familiar with and some just seem impossible to understand. This mystery seemed to create some discussions and attempts of solving it. And just a putting a Metronom didn't really help a lot.
I could just hear the snare on the downbeat the whole song (aside the halftime part) but Haake counted in somehow on the off beat 16th notes and I couldn't believe that this would be a mistake because why would he do that? So my wish was to hear it in the real (or so to say "intended") pulse. This was quiet challenging for me although I listen and play drums with a lot of prog and complicated rhythms. My ears are somehow already trained for more complicated pulses and rhythms, but this was heavy without some help.
My discovery:
I found a way by playing a simple half time drum beat to it trying to keep the pulse alive (crazy challenge i can tell you that!). I finally could hear that Haake was counting in correctly and that the whole riff is based on the 16th note off beats. I realised that the whole band never accented one hit on the 1. That was mindblowing for me. For the first time I could hear the song in a totally different way! Suddenly everything made sense and the 4/4 bars stayed the whole song through without having one single odd time bar!
So I made a drum cover playing and jamming my version of the song but rearranging it with different halftime beats so the "real" pulse is easy to hear. (I hope so😝)
FYI This was just for fun and I didn't try to make it perfect or to insult any Meshuggah fans or anyone by changing the beats. I totally honor and love the original beats and version by Haake. He is a big influence for me!
I just hope my version can help some of you understand and hear the "real" pulse so you can have the same experience of hearing it in the original version. And I can tell you it was mindblowing for me! 😉🤘
Tell me what you think and if it helps!

Watch my drumcover 2.0 of "Combustion" here:

https://youtu.be/_7gug9AdgQ4

Edited by Flamortimor - July 18 2020 at 16:52
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 18:48
Combustion kicks ass severely, pulse or no pulse. It raises my pulse. Love it to bits.
Combustion, Bleed and Dancers.....Obzen is crazy good.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 07:00
I had a listen but l had lost interest by the time the drums came in (after about 5s).
It is my eternal hope that one day Meshuggah will release a track that doesn't make me want to swallow a live hand grenade.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 07:28
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I had a listen but l had lost interest by the time the drums came in (after about 5s).
It is my eternal hope that one day Meshuggah will release a track that doesn't make me want to swallow a live hand grenade.
Try The Last Vigil (almost an ambient soundscape) or the dynamic instrumental Acrid Placidity. If you don’t like, then don’t bother.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 09:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Try The Last Vigil (almost an ambient soundscape) or the dynamic instrumental Acrid Placidity. If you don’t like, then don’t bother.

It's made worse by the fact that my stepson is a fan and plays them in the car when I'm a passenger. Even short journeys seem very, very long.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 03:37

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It's made worse by the fact that my stepson is a fan and plays them in the car when I'm a passenger. Even short journeys seem very, very long.
I used to play Chess with my Dad whilst listening to any of the following : Opeth, Nile, Cannibal Corpse, Meshuggah, Gorguts, Anthrax, Slayer etc. Maybe it fell on deaf ears, but he won more often than me. He couldn’t stand Peter Hammill though. Best mate I ever had
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 10:13

Fist time I ever really listened  to a track by them....I have to agree with you. This is the kind of chugga chugga metal stuff with growling bad vocals that I don't like . I understand not all of their music sounds like this but I have never been able to assimilate any extreme metal like this.

I did check out their page here at PA....love the pic of the band next to their bio....looks like a promo pic from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...it made me laugh.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 16:06
The Extreme Metallists seem to be the silliest crowd around, but when it comes to composing, they’re deadly serious
 Post Reply Post Reply