Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to prog; recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarConall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to prog; recommendations?
    Posted: July 19 2020 at 15:45
Hello all!

Although I feel somewhat guilty of asking for recommendations first thing after arriving here... I feel it takes a lot of effort to come across new music I'm REALLY into. Spotify doesn't always do a good job on that front, and so when I came across this forum I'd a smirked like an idiot. I'm somewhat new to prog, and there's just so much that I don't know where to start looking really.

If anyone could make some recommendations based on some of the music I enjoy I'd be eternally thankful!

No particular order; I'm just going through my spotify.
  • Opeth (Windowpane | In my time of need | Will O the Wisp | Benighted | Burden | Face of Melinda | To bid you farewell | Persephone)
  • Riverside (The depth of self-delusion)
  • Soen (Lotus | Lunacy)
  • Alice in Chains (Rooster | Would? | Down in a hole | Man in the box | Nutshell | No excuses)
  • Black Sabbath (Solitude | Planet caravan | Changes | A national acrobat)
  • Pink Floyd (Comfortably numb | Dogs | Pigs | Breate "| Brain damage | Marooned | High Hopes | echoes... too much to name here)
  • Dire Straits (Brothers in Arms)
  • Mother Love bones (Stargazer | Bone China | Crown of Thorns)
  • Pearl Jam (Even Flow | Alive | Black | Jeremy)
  • Porcupine tree (Trains | Blackest eyes)
  • Soundgarden (Fell on black days | Black hole sun)
  • System of a down (Hypnotyze | Chop suey! | Aerials | Toxicity)
  • Stone temple pilots (Atlanta | Creep | Interstate Love song)
  • Steven wilson (drive home | The raven that refused to sing)
  • Slowdive (sugar for the pill)
  • Neil Young (Old man)
  • Metallica (One | Master of puppets | Enter sandman | Nothing else matters | the unforgiven | fade to black)
  • Led zeppelin (ten years gone)
  • King Crimson (Epitath | the court of the crimson king)
  • Guns N' Roses (Don't cry | November rain | Knockin' on heavens door | Estranged)

Thanks!

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 19:08
Looking at your list, you might like:
Queensryche ... Empire
Rush ... Moving Pictures
Megadeth ... songs like Peace Sells and Symphony of Destruction
Anthrax ... Songs like Got the Time
King’s X ... Gretchen Goes to Nebraska and Faith, Hope, Love
Pearl Jam ... Ten
Soundgarden ... Bad Motorfinger
Primus ... Tales from the Punchbowl

That should be a good start. Some is Prog, some is not.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 19:45
Since you like various Floyd, you might like these:

VSTRS:

And PAUW:

Welcome to the site.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 21:37
Typically I recommend the most well known prog bands to those who are new such as Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Rush, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd etc. However, since you are mostly into newer stuff the so called classics might not be for you so I suggest only listening to a song or two by each of the bands I just mentioned. You might like Porcupine Tree though and since they aren't on your list I recommend them.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 21:56
Sorry to mention it, but Porcupine Tree is on his list "(Trains | Blackest eyes)". And since he likes music by classic acts such as King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and Black Sabbath, I wouldn't discount the classics.

Edited by Logan - July 19 2020 at 22:32
naplar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naplar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 12:56
No need to apologize for asking for suggestions right away. Everybody loves to give suggestions! Here I am, just joining, and I'm happy to pass these along:

Pantera ... A New Level
Ministry ... Twilight Zone
Alice in Chains ... Rain When I Die, No Excuses
Jethro Tull ... Back to the Family
Miles Davis ... Duran - take 6

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 13:39
First suggestion, go with the top 10 list. And then, check out the genres you enjoy the most and check out their top lists too. Then, well, if you haven't, you should check out the rest of Riverside and the first classic albums from Black Sabbath, as well as, at least, Heaven and Hell with Dio. Then, of course, the rest of the classic british bands, (you already have Pink Floyd and King Crimson, but don't remember seeing Yes, Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull... as well as Camel, perhaps). And then, for the hard rock ones, you might also check out Deep Purple (Made in Japan should be a great introduction) as well as Rainbow (with the album Rising, or at least the song Stargazer). And then, perhaps you could check out some other Prog Metal bands, like Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Ayreon, Haken, Devin Townsend).
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 13:53
You might like Genesis. Foxtrot's a good one to start with. Probably the most idiosyncratic band of their time -perhaps a slight exaggeration.
I like Dire Straits too, by the way. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 21:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Sorry to mention it, but Porcupine Tree is on his list "(Trains | Blackest eyes)". And since he likes music by classic acts such as King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and Black Sabbath, I wouldn't discount the classics.

Only a few though. He didn't mention Yes, Genesis, ELP or Rush so I say those are good to start with but based on his taste he would probably only like Rush out of those.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 14:35
From your list try 2112 by rush, if you like that go through their albums chronologically. Secret treaties by Blue Oyster Cult is another you may enjoy. Then gradually try the classic bands stuff, starting with tull, crimson, genesis and yes.
carlozivan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlozivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:26
hi folks, i'would suggest a band from Brasil, Plan x1:
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mkTsvfIamR3ZE1klW2KRhLwhQwoMi2sak
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 17:14
HI,

Welcome.

(e bon dia ou boa tarde!)

I'm the strange one ... and I tend to suggest things differently.

I would like to recommend that you NOT go through "lists" much, but to go listen and find things on your own, since to many different tastes out there tend to dilute and change the meaning of the word "progressive" ... and as much as the list contains some wonderful materials, one has to remember that there are many countries, and many other bands that need a good listen, that have helped "define" what is progressive and what is prog.

The only thing that is sure is that you won't find a "master" of "progressive" in this area of music as someone like Egberto Gismonti is to the jazz field ... someone experimenting all the time.

Edited by moshkito - September 30 2020 at 17:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 08:56
Rush - Moving Pictures, Signals, and then go backwards.
Pure Reason Revolution - Euphnea
The Pinneaple Thief - Dissolution
Tool - ænima
Genesis - Selling England or Trick of the Tail
Marillion - Clutching at Straws
Leprous - Malina
windom_mike View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windom_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 09:11
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 09:45
The answer is as simple as that: Start with the classics which, as I see, you are not completely unfamiliar with.
Floyd, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull; maybe the most obvious ones but truly essential!
Then you could dive into the bands that are pretty much the same tier but never got the exposure of these first six ones I listed; these are, of course, Camel, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator, Rush, Mike Oldfield;
A few more, also among the classics, all really progressive and inventive: Zappa (both solo and with The Mothers), Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, PFM, Museo Rosenbach, Caravan, Gong, Hatfield and the North, Soft Machine, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Supertramp, Khan, Kansas, Focus, and the list could go on and on.

But the diversity in all of these bands you see listed is quite unbelievable, I think they cover the most important branches of prog, and all of them are in a way crucial for the genre's history, creating masterpieces after masterpieces that inspired so many musicians that came in the future.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 18:57
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

But the diversity in all of these bands you see listed is quite unbelievable, I think they cover the most important branches of prog, and all of them are in a way crucial for the genre's history, creating masterpieces after masterpieces that inspired so many musicians that came in the future.

Hi,

Thanks ... I was about to say something like that a bit better.

One of the most fun things to do is to listen to "progressive/prog" being done in different countries and you get to see different inspirations in different places ... Italy is more "symphonic" in that it could easily be considered classically minded ... French is usually different and by the time you get to Heldon and that group of players you are going to go ... what? ... German stuff is usually different, and a lot of it was completely improvised and recorded and in many cases just recorded cold and released (some artists didn't like it!), but things like CAN and AD2, were as free form as it could be in their first several years. When you go north, for some reason you have some KC influence. When you go to GB it seems that rock'n'roll is the main drive, and while there are many great things, all of the bands ended up doing just "songs" and not serious music, though the musicianship is usually very high. AND, if you get to Japan, you'll go nuts ... one band even mixed bossa nova/samba and funk with the music, and the other was an electronic genius whose members still go around today, and one of them has some serious music listing (Ryuichi Sakamoto) complete with Oscar and all that! 

In many ways, the variety of things is a heck of a lot more fun ... and by the time you heard the magnificent trio from RSakamoto (Beauty (specially!!!), Neo Geo and Heartbeat) ... you'll go ... is that sumo rock?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply