Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camel Albums from the Post-1970's Era

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Camel album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [24.24%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [12.12%]
1 [3.03%]
4 [12.12%]
11 [33.33%]
5 [15.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel Albums from the Post-1970's Era
    Posted: July 20 2020 at 02:24
CAMEL emerged from Guildford like a MIRAGE with the release of their first album in 1973. The band have since gone on to become as legendary as the flight of THE SNOW GOOSE, with its annual long migration from Canada to Mexico. Their fourth album was a concept album, released at a time when the concept album was King. When record buyers listened to the final track on the album, Lunar Sea (Lunacy), they may have thought they were experiencing a temporary bout of MOONMADNESS, as the song played on endlessly, in what's known as the "terminal groove" effect. Camel's next critically acclaimed album had their loyal fanbase performing RAIN DANCES of delight and they were BREATHLESS with anticipation for the follow-up album. Who can forget the stark image of the crucified astronaut on the cover of I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE, where he's metaphorically NUDE and alone in the endless depths of space. THE SINGLE FACTOR determining his fate is whether there's a spacecraft waiting nearby to come to the rescue, or whether he's doomed to drift endlessly through space like a STATIONARY TRAVELLER, when all of his hopes will be crushed like DUST AND DREAMS in a HARBOUR OF TEARS. Camel had a return to form in 1999 with the release of their RAJAZ album, which gave A NOD AND A WINK towards their classic 1970's albums. Wink
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 03:01
Rajaz 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 03:04
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Rajaz 

I have a feeling Rajaz might just win this poll. Wink
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 04:37
Nude is pretty good all around if you ask me. Stationary Traveller isn't very good objectively speaking, I suppose, but it gets nostalgia points from me as it was one of the first albums I remember hearing (my dad used to put it on a lot because the title track was played at his sister's funeral, who died a month after I was born). Rajaz and A Nod And A Wink both have some good tracks but are a bit too uneven for me. It's been a long time since I heard the other ones but I recall being less than impressed by all of them.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 04:45
I have seen Camel three times - in 79, 81 and then 2015!  In that 34 year gap, I didn't realise they had been knocking out some great music...
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 05:04
I really dig Rajaz.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 05:31
Nude is the second best in their entire catalog.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 05:41
I hesitated a bi between "Rajaz" and "A Nod And A Wink". Still, I decided by the last one.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 05:47
So many great albums by Camel. For me, any of them could win and that would be fine. I really enjoy them all. I voted Harbor of Tears, since it was the tour when I got to meet Andy Latimer after the show and shake his hand.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 06:11
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

I hesitated a bi between "Rajaz" and "A Nod And A Wink". Still, I decided by the last one.
I'll give a nod and a wink towards the Rajaz album. Wink

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 06:32
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

CAMEL emerged from Guildford like a MIRAGE with the release of their first album in 1973. The band have since gone on to become as legendary as the flight of THE SNOW GOOSE, with its annual long migration from Canada to Mexico. Their fourth album was a concept album, released at a time when the concept album was King. When record buyers listened to the final track on the album, Lunar Sea (Lunacy), they may have thought they were experiencing a temporary bout of MOONMADNESS, as the song played on endlessly, in what's known as the "terminal groove" effect. Camel's next critically acclaimed album had their loyal fanbase performing RAIN DANCES of delight and they were BREATHLESS with anticipation for the follow-up album. Who can forget the stark image of the crucified astronaut on the cover of I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE, where he's metaphorically NUDE and alone in the endless depths of space. THE SINGLE FACTOR determining his fate is whether there's a spacecraft waiting nearby to come to the rescue, or whether he's doomed to drift endlessly through space like a STATIONARY TRAVELLER, when all of his hopes will be crushed like DUST AND DREAMS in a HARBOUR OF TEARS. Camel had a return to form in 1999 with the release of their RAJAZ album, which gave A NOD AND A WINK towards their classic 1970's albums. Wink <span style="font-size: 10px;">

</span>

Rajaz...Cool post Phil
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 06:35
Contrary to my profile picture, its Rajaz. Super important album for me and imo, one of their best albums. Though I dig all of these to some degree, especially Nude and Nod.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 06:38
I vote for Nude, but all of these have their qualities, even Single Factor.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 06:42
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

CAMEL emerged from Guildford like a MIRAGE with the release of their first album in 1973. The band have since gone on to become as legendary as the flight of THE SNOW GOOSE, with its annual long migration from Canada to Mexico. Their fourth album was a concept album, released at a time when the concept album was King. When record buyers listened to the final track on the album, Lunar Sea (Lunacy), they may have thought they were experiencing a temporary bout of MOONMADNESS, as the song played on endlessly, in what's known as the "terminal groove" effect. Camel's next critically acclaimed album had their loyal fanbase performing RAIN DANCES of delight and they were BREATHLESS with anticipation for the follow-up album. Who can forget the stark image of the crucified astronaut on the cover of I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE, where he's metaphorically NUDE and alone in the endless depths of space. THE SINGLE FACTOR determining his fate is whether there's a spacecraft waiting nearby to come to the rescue, or whether he's doomed to drift endlessly through space like a STATIONARY TRAVELLER, when all of his hopes will be crushed like DUST AND DREAMS in a HARBOUR OF TEARS. Camel had a return to form in 1999 with the release of their RAJAZ album, which gave A NOD AND A WINK towards their classic 1970's albums. Wink <span style="font-size: 10px;">

</span>

Rajaz...Cool post Phil

Who's Phil? Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 06:49
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

There are some excellent songs on The Single Factor, despite the album generally getting a bad rap from Camel fans. Confused

Like these three songs for instance.....

1. Heroes

2. Selva

3. Sasquatch

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 06:54
Stationary Traveler for me.  Brilliance from beginning to end, prog meets new wave.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 07:03

There are some excellent songs on The Single Factor, despite the album generally getting a bad rap from Camel fans. Confused

Yes, great selection!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 07:09

Yes, great selection!
And this song too.....

4. Camelogue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 20 2020 at 07:09
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 07:15

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

</span>

Rajaz...Cool post Phil

Who's Phil? Wink

Oops sorry Paul
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 07:17
^ That's okay. I was just left wondering who the mysterious Phil was. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 20 2020 at 07:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>