Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll XIII - Surprise, surprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Poll Question: Pick your three favourites!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.51%]
6 [16.22%]
5 [13.51%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
4 [10.81%]
4 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 05:51
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I must say there have been some great surprises this time around, and I am glad that Lewian did this as a theme because it has brought out some great tracks.  It's probably going to be the toughest one to decide on only 3.

It's going to be tough for me to make comments on all the entries for the next several weeks (months), so I am going to have to just keep it down to the "vote-able" tracks.  My wife is going in for knee surgery, so she is going to be laid up for a while, and even though that's not for a couple of weeks, we have been going to a lot of appointments and etc to get prepared for this.  They are doing her left knee during the first week in August and then her right one about 3 months later.  She has been waiting a long time for this, and it was actually supposed to be done several different times, but was put off because of other issues, the last one being this dratted COVID crap.  Now, it looks like it might actually happen.  So here we go.....

My time in here will be limited compared to what it has been in the past, plus the New Release reports and the genre teams are my priorities in the Archives.  But I will still be participating in these threads as much as I can.  And I will listen to all posts when possible, but will probably only be able to comment on the tracks put up for voting.  Sorry that I won't be able to comment on all of the postings or adding comments as much as I would like.

indeed.. your input will definitely be missed Beer... but take care of the better half first .. we'll still be around when you come back. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 03:10
Re Diethelm/Famulari: I'm happy that some of you like this so much... I think if I had to nominate my favourite 3 seconds keyboard part ever, I'd go for what Santino Famulari does between 0:43-0:46 of that track (and later again). These three seconds alone already justify this track being among my all-time favourites.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 00:54
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Let the voting begin!
(Should I put together a playlist with nominated tracks only, or Mathman are you on the job? Great work by the way.) 

Again heard a few more... Imagine cover and Detachable Penis... I have so much fun here with your stuff!

Done:

Great, thanks!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 23:08
Awesome with the playlist and love hearing the alternates.

Already shared my thoughts on the music and there is so much great stuff, but these five are so very, very strong for me.

- Bruno Pernadas - Spaceway 70. I absolutely adore this -- it's so my bag, Ilove the jazzy tropica qualities and playfulness. Luminous. For sheer enjoyment, it's likely my favourite of the series. It brightened my day. So fresh

- A Filetta, Paolo Fresu, Daniele di Bonaventura - I vostri sguardi. A very remarkable piece of music. Amazing. I knew that would be a top one as soon as I heard it. Definitely one of my very favourites of the series. I absolutely love it.

- Dvar - Gyandarvaal. Again, I pretty much knew this would be in my top three as soon as I heard it. Love it. It does remind me of Pierre Henry and Urban Sax as said. I love it. It wowed me.

- Diethelm/Famulari - Portrait. I loved it and again it is really remarkable. It also wowed me.

- Mahk Jchi - Heartbeat Drum Song. Listening again, the wondrous nature of this hit me hard. I love it.

It's so hard, and I can't make a final decision yet. At first I thought that Portrait while almost there might not quite make it, but having listened again my decision became much harder.. The fact that I want to listen to it again and again has to mean something. Loving it more and more. And utterly wowed by it. Third play now. Oh yeah, that's the stuff. And then listening to Mahk Jchi again, ahhh, too good. Fabulous.

Holding off, those five are just way too dang good and each wowed me in its own way. Wish I could vote for five. All five of those are favourites of mine, and the more I listen the more I love them. I think I have achieved music Nirvana, and I don't mean the band. I feel too passionately about those five to choose but three at this time, and maybe ever. All five are favourites of mine this series.

EDIT: okay, even though all five of those winners and I didn't want to vote for only three, those are the rules and so I went with the first three that I mentioned in this post. There really was so much very good for me music this round. Thanks for a great round.

Edited by Logan - July 25 2020 at 20:51
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 21:40
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

My nomination will be Beautiful People - If 60's Was 90's. Note the title of the song is "Was", not "Were". The video has the album title, which is "If 60's Were 90's". 

I have been enjoying all the songs too. I have playlist updated with all the videos posted so so far:

Will make a nominations only later. I have been playing the playlist on shuffle in the background as I work, noting the ones I like but will make a deeper listen over the weekend. Good stuff everyone!
Thank you!!!! Wonderful!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I must say there have been some great surprises this time around, and I am glad that Lewian did this as a theme because it has brought out some great tracks.  It's probably going to be the toughest one to decide on only 3.

It's going to be tough for me to make comments on all the entries for the next several weeks (months), so I am going to have to just keep it down to the "vote-able" tracks.  My wife is going in for knee surgery, so she is going to be laid up for a while, and even though that's not for a couple of weeks, we have been going to a lot of appointments and etc to get prepared for this.  They are doing her left knee during the first week in August and then her right one about 3 months later.  She has been waiting a long time for this, and it was actually supposed to be done several different times, but was put off because of other issues, the last one being this dratted COVID crap.  Now, it looks like it might actually happen.  So here we go.....

My time in here will be limited compared to what it has been in the past, plus the New Release reports and the genre teams are my priorities in the Archives.  But I will still be participating in these threads as much as I can.  And I will listen to all posts when possible, but will probably only be able to comment on the tracks put up for voting.  Sorry that I won't be able to comment on all of the postings or adding comments as much as I would like.

I wish your wife a smooth and uneventful recovery. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 19:27
I just noticed that "We Are the Worst" got removed from YouTube. Boo, hiss.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 19:24
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Let the voting begin!
(Should I put together a playlist with nominated tracks only, or Mathman are you on the job? Great work by the way.) 

Again heard a few more... Imagine cover and Detachable Penis... I have so much fun here with your stuff!

Done:

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 18:46
I really like Paolo Fresu's works.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 17:12
Let the voting begin!

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 16:56
I like the De Staat pieces by the way; such a sense of urgency and relentlessness in them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 16:41
[QUOTE=TCat]

It's going to be tough for me to make comments on all the entries for the next several weeks (months), so I am going to have to just keep it down to the "vote-able" tracks.  My wife is going in for knee surgery, so she is going to be laid up for a while, and even though that's not for a couple of weeks, we have been going to a lot of appointments and etc to get prepared for this.  They are doing her left knee during the first week in August and then her right one about 3 months later.  She has been waiting a long time for this, and it was actually supposed to be done several different times, but was put off because of other issues, the last one being this dratted COVID crap.  Now, it looks like it might actually happen.  So here we go.....[QUOTE]
Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery from the first, and then the second, surgery, Mike!  I'll miss your greater input, but we all need to take care of other things from time to time.  May it all go smoothly.Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 15:54
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ Cristi, that first video is not working for me, shows the picture but says video unavailable, maybe this will take:

I like that, good stuff, and as an added bonus "Aha" is used as an expression of surprise.

hope this one works better, I choose this as my nomination. Big smile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 14:01

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:00
Additional, for

suitkees: De Staat “Make Way for the Passenger brings Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, with a twist.  “Witch Doctor” Another sort of novelty piece, to my mind’s ear.  Not a big fan of rap/marching music, probably not a surprise by this point for most of us in these polls.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:43
Wow, thanks for the playlist, mathman. Will be fun going through this - will do it this weekend too.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:32
My nomination will be Beautiful People - If 60's Was 90's. Note the title of the song is "Was", not "Were". The video has the album title, which is "If 60's Were 90's". 

I have been enjoying all the songs too. I have playlist updated with all the videos posted so so far:

Will make a nominations only later. I have been playing the playlist on shuffle in the background as I work, noting the ones I like but will make a deeper listen over the weekend. Good stuff everyone!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:52

Even though I very actively search for anything Krautrocky in both modern and past music, I didn't know it, Samuel. The name rings a bell, but that might just be thinking of Kraftwerk's Autbahn or even the Italian Automat. By the way, you might have caught my embarrassingly gushy reaction, but I absolutely loved Spaceway 70. Wow! That made my day. It's my most enjoyed of the series, and believe me, I have enjoyed a huge amount that has been posted.
I never suggested him here, I meant to listen to more of his work but never got around to it. There are just some moments that are more on the Post Rock side.
I read it but wanted to reply as I went through the thread. I'm glad you loved it, he has a unique approach especially in our music scene, I suggest him whenever I get the chance. Definitely listen to the full album, there are even better songs in it ("Galaxy" is my favourite lately).
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

As for Cristi's Europe song, they of the "Final Countdown" (a cheesy song that I've always liked), that recent one was surprising. I really like that a lot and was not expecting to like it so much. Impressive for a band going so long, well, it would be impressive for any band. You've had various favourites of mine in the series of different styles, which might seem rather interesting since our Prog tastes commonly follow different avenues. My tastes are very diverse -- more diverse than sometimes it might seem.

This has been a fantastic round for my ears. So have all of the ones been that I've participated in, but I've really enjoyed listening through all of the music that has been posted in this thread.

I'm happy you enjoyed the Europe song, they are awesome if you ask me and they have released 6 albums since their reunion in 2003-04. 

I honestly don't know which song to use, A-ha, Alex Skolnick trio or Europe. Big smileLOL
What's the deadline? 

End of today. Of course this depends on where you are... let's make it midnight in  Italy.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:46
Oh yes, you can keep King Missile as my official nomination. Regarding surprises, it was a big and pleasant surprise to me (not only this one) and it will probably be a kind of odd one out here since it is quite far away from prog.

De Staat is just a bit closer to prog, I think, and was one of my major serious muscical discoveries these last years.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>