Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll XIII - Surprise, surprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Poll Question: Pick your three favourites!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.51%]
6 [16.22%]
5 [13.51%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
4 [10.81%]
4 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll XIII - Surprise, surprise
    Posted: July 21 2020 at 06:54
This is the surprise poll... well, actually it may not be a surprise, because I have announced its theme already, it's surprises!
What I mean by this is these moments when we come across some music that we don't know that totally surprises us. Maybe because of its quality, and we didn't know the artist before and heard it on radio or TV randomly, maybe because it is a way of doing music that we couldn't have imagined before, or maybe also because an artist who we knew already did something totally different from what we expected. That may be good, but it may also be a shock at first - you can propose something that surprised you at first in a bad or in a "I don't know WTF this is about" way, but of course this poll is about great music, so in that case I'd assume that you later managed to get into it. It may also be something that you heard in a totally surprising setup (I was stunned getting to know Swans in a local bike shop in London and a few days later when I went there to get my repaired bike back, they played some other phantastic music that I hadn't known before).

So musically this can be very eclectic, and of course you don't need to necessarily try to surprise the others by your choice... maybe something came completely out of the blue to you in 1990 and developed into a style that by now everybody knows... doesn't matter, it qualifies if it has been a surprise to you.

Optimally suggest the very song that surprised you (but I'll bend this rule a bit for my own, see below, so there's some room for interpretation).

We stick to the "not listed on PA" rule. Everybody can nominate one and we got into the habit of posting alternative selections, which tends to overload me, so maybe stick to one plus one alternative... but obviously eventually everybody will post whatever they feel  like posting anyway...

I'll wait for nominations until end Friday and then on Saturday will start the poll. As usual, everybody has three votes; and don't vote for your own suggestion.

According to mathman's great interactive poll links thread, this should genuinely be poll number 13. If that's an issue with you, tough luck. I heard that the University of Bologna  (scientists of all people!) opened their Departments of Psychology and Statistics on the same day because before they had twelve, and at no time they wanted to have exactly 13. Given the general confusion, I could've easily hidden the true number, but no, live with it!

Thinking about what I propose, I realised that actually quite a few of those that I had already posted or mentioned had such a surprise effect on me - Astor Piazzola, Rokia Traore, Scorn... all came to me unexpectedly and I hadn't known such music is possible and can work... Here's another big one. I heard them playing this in a music TV show in the early eighties that I wouldn't watch regularly. I didn't even think before that the show was very good, but then came up Swiss duo Diethelm/Famulari and absolutely gobsmacked me with a brilliant performance of something I had never heard before. They did this thing live with guitarist Thomas Diethelm using a delay to repeat his own phrases and playing duo with himself plus drum machine plus the stellar keyboard playing by Famulari; sounds much more than two people at the same time, doesn't it? But it really sounded pretty much like this live.  Actually I slightly cheat here because if I remember it correctly they played three tracks in the show, and this was the second one. The first one already surprised me but this one was even better. Actually they should be on PA but I'd suspect hardly anyone here knows them (apparently the album was a hit in Chile).

Very curious of what you come up with!

Edited by Lewian - July 24 2020 at 17:10
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 06:55
PS in case anybody stumbled across an earlier version of this poll... I had some issues and needed three attempts to get this how I wanted it. But this one is hopefully fine.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 07:19
Guys & Gals

It became certain yesterday that we're going to our summerhouse in a couple of days. 

I'll not have unlimited internet connection there. It will be like 10GB a month, that I'll use via my mobile phone, mostly for my work which requires the usage of the internet.

I also mentioned earlier that I'll have to concentrate on my work.

So, not only I'll not be able to take part in this awesomeness, but also I'll not be a poll creator for an indefinite period of time.

Please accept my apology...

All the best to you, have fun.

Özgür
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 08:26
Thank you, Lewian, for this definitely surprising category!  Clap

I'm sure I'm not the only one (esp from the US) who has Gomer Pyle's "Su'prise, su'prise, su'prise!"  echoing in their mind's ear at the title.  No triskadecaphobe am I, in fact I was a little disappointed to realize I wouldn't have the poll number.  Probably a few others amongst us as well.  Off to ponder potentials.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Guys & Gals

It became certain yesterday that we're going to our summerhouse in a couple of days. 

I'll not have unlimited internet connection there. It will be like 10GB a month, that I'll use via my mobile phone, mostly for my work which requires the usage of the internet.

I also mentioned earlier that I'll have to concentrate on my work.

So, not only I'll not be able to take part in this awesomeness, but also I'll not be a poll creator for an indefinite period of time.

Please accept my apology...

All the best to you, have fun.

Özgür
  I am sure I'll not be the only one to miss your participation, but of course real life always takes precedence over online life.  Enjoy your summerhouse as much as you can, and will look forward to your return when that happens.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 08:42
Thank you dear Nickie. I'll have enough megabytes to see what you're all doing, perhaps also post plain text messages, I guess.

I might even lurk and wait for the opportunity to attack Pedro. Star J/K

Have fun, y'all. Heart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 08:53
LOL
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:08
@Lewian: Clever! The surprise was a surprise. I'll have to take some time think of something appropirate.

@Nickie: Yes, I definitely had Gomer echoing in my head. Now, how to make it stop!

@Özgür: We'll miss your contributions. Enjoy your time at summerhouse. Having limited Internet is not a bad thing too. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:09
Hi,

Still one of the greatest surprises I have ever heard ... magnificent album, progressive to the core, Spanish to the core ... but a band from LA?

You gotta be kidding me ... and one night they blew out David Bowie and Jethro Tull ... who immediately took the bass player, ending their incredible set of albums.

Carmen - Fandangos in Space

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:13
Nice to have your contribution here Pedro! Well, I can kind of guess what's going to happen if I tell you that technically this poll is about songs and not whole albums, so I won't. We'll happily live with this (although I cannot promise that everyone will listen to this in its entirety). Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:15
Also, Carmen is on PA. Good album!

Edited by mathman0806 - July 21 2020 at 09:16
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:49
Özgür, hope you enjoy your vacation, even if a short one! We'll miss you, but you'll still find us here when you come back Wink!

Anyway, this is going to be difficult... At the moment,  I can't think of anything that surprised me music-wise - not because it never happened, but because my memory is not working as well as it shouldLOL. I'll try to come up with something nice.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:58
^ Thank you Geo (mathman0806) and Raffaella (Raff). You're so kind.

It will be a long vacation, and if I don't take the preschool teaching job this year, it may be a very long one too. As my real job (book translating) grants me the freedom to be wherever I like. I love city life too, perhaps we'll come and go whenever we wish.

Edited by Shadowyzard - July 21 2020 at 10:19
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:13
Note: Air - "Radian" is my nomination, see bottom of post.

- Ozgur, I'm sorry you won't be participating this round, but I might not feel too bad for your for having a summerhouse to go to. That is if it is just a little vacation, and not some need to go to the area (repairs, family situation etc.). It's always a hassle and work when making such trips, and taking care of a property can be a major headache.

------------------------------------------------------

I thought of a few surprises. My biggest surprise involved an Australian band. My brother was friends with band members in Cairns, I moved there for a year when I was 19. They had their own bar, and I was a bartender (but not there, that would be too much coincidence). ;). The night before I came back to Canada, my brother and I went see that band, Johno's Blues band live at their bar. In fact, the band's "Don't Knock the Croc" was the first thing my brother played on a jukebox on my first day in Cairns. When I got back home to Vancouver I put on the radio and "Don't Knock the Croc" was playing. Hey, don;t knock the coincidence even if it sounds like a crock of kaka. While that was a hit in Australia, I don't remember it ever playing here before or after. My other big coincidence surprise was at about the same time. I had just bought the CD of Kate Bush's The Kick Inside and was listening to it for the first time. At the same time I was reading (I liked to multi-task) a wonderful book about Paul Theroux's travels around China called Riding the Iron Rooster. Kate Bush has a song called "Strange Phenomena" on it and I was hearing it for the first time which is about strange coincidences. At the exact same time that the book mentioned the Buddhist chant "Om Mani Padme Hum", Kate Bush started singing the chant. If I had been the superstitious type, I might have seen this as some sort of revelation. I've heard less compelling to me coincidences put forward by superstitious types as evidence for the supernatural. I did have some interest in the paranormal for sure.

I'm going for what seems a lesser coincidence as my surprising choice even if it's not amazing in any way. I had just got into a dark BBC comedy radio series from writer Chris Morris called Blue Jam from the 90s (this wasn't very long ago and I found it on archive.org and an rss podcast feed -- I never heard it on the radio), and each episode combined rather surreal, psychological and sometimes grotesque sketches with songs (very dark comedy). One of the songs in one of the Blue Jam episodes was Pulp's "Dishes".

Pulp's Dishes has been a quite popular song that I had heard before, but I, being a pattern seeking animal, have thought before that quite a lot of that could refer to me, and yes, of course this is quite absurd, but still, and none of it is that surprising: The song starts with "I am not Jesus though I have the same initials. I am the man who stays home and does the dishes". I too am not Jesus, and while I do not have the same initials, I too am the man who stays home and does the dishes. Oh, and I would like to make that water wine even if it's impossible, and get those dishes clean, anything is possible.

Anyway, I very rarely listen to music on the radio now, but in the car I put on the radio (the night before I had listened to the Blue Jam episode that played the Pulp song), unusually tuned it to a music radio station (normally I just listen to the news or use bluetooth), and what was on? If you guessed Pulp's Dishes then you are correct. Having recently fallen for Blue Jam as much as I did, it did feel fairly significant.

I guess plenty will know it already, but here is the song:

Pulp - "Dishes"

=============================

EDIT: Oh wait I had a bigger and freakier,or not necessarily freaky but beautiful, experience with another song from around the same time, the Eels "Beautiful Freak". After listening to this this past year this has also came up in a seeingly coincidental manner, and also in a more I could have expected it expected manner. I did a topic on 90s poppy and alt/ indie music, and this got mentioned when I was planning to list it next. The song also featured in Blue Jam. With Eel's Beautiful Freak I am coincidentally both beautiful and a freak, the beautiful part might be the most surprising of all. Or freakishly beautiful one might say even if conventionally very attractive and desirable.

======================

This was the choice that first came to me. I was really surprised to like Air's 10 000 Hz Legend album as much as I did. It became my favourite by Air despite having having dismissed it before as inferior to both the Moon Safari and Talk Talk albums (which I loved). I had read many bad reviews of it and internalised those before hearing it (biased me). When I first heard it (but I guess I wasn't really listening properly --maybe distractions) I had it in my head that it was bad, and in a topic at PA I was hypercritical of the album. Years later I did decide to buy the album and I loved it immediately and said to myself, "What was wrong with me?". It;s also because I do very obsessed with certain albums sometimes, and so anything different will not appeal, and I was so into other Air at the time. I still feel embarrassed about having been do dismissive of it in an Air topic that I created. I was careless and judgmental and had clearly not listened properly nor was I perhaps in the right "headspace" at the time. Hey, we all get things wrong sometimes, but it was my air of arrogance and dismissiveness that bothers me. I like to say that we all have biases, but try to keep an open mind and open ears (Doctor, heal thyself!)

"Radian" is one I loved best from it.

This is my current nomination (its alternated between all three of these choices):

That and "Sex Born Poison". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGDb7Ce8mrg

Edited by Logan - July 22 2020 at 13:35
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:20
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

@Lewian: Clever! The surprise was a surprise. I'll have to take some time think of something appropirate.

@Nickie: Yes, I definitely had Gomer echoing in my head. Now, how to make it stop!

@Özgür: We'll miss your contributions. Enjoy your time at summerhouse. Having limited Internet is not a bad thing too. 
LOL @ the Gomer earworm..... LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:21
Thanks Greg.

Ah, by the way. It actually will not be a vacation, hahah. We stay in our summerhouse in winter too. I'll be working very hard, till September. Perhaps I'll take a short vacation, after that. In summer our summer place is a goddamn crowded place, but in winter, like a ghost town. Sometimes I go out, and see literally nobody during hours of walk. (Which is great, if not all the time) Also, we seemed to have to stay in Ankara (the capital of Turkey) till recently, so this is why I dreamt of all the stuff of being a poll creator and all. Haha.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The song starts with "I am not Jesus though I have the same initials. I am the man who stays home and does the dishes". I too am not Jesus, and while I do not have the same initials, I too am the man who stays home and does the dishes." Oh and I would like to make that water wine even if it's impossible. 

Shhhhhhhhh I have a secret to tell you Shhhhhhhhhhh

I call this my nightly miracle.  I turn water to wine every night.  Switch your water glass to a wine glass and .......voila!

ShhhhhhhhhWink

Also I think we have spoken of coincidences in other places (no coincidence there!).  Paranormal?  Angels?  Some other kinds of signs? Complete accidents?  Who knows.  All I know is, they happen.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:37
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The song starts with "I am not Jesus though I have the same initials. I am the man who stays home and does the dishes". I too am not Jesus, and while I do not have the same initials, I too am the man who stays home and does the dishes." Oh and I would like to make that water wine even if it's impossible. 

I call this my nightly miracle.  I turn water to wine every night.  Switch your water glass to a wine glass and .......voila!

ShhhhhhhhhWink

Also I think we have spoken of coincidences in other places (no coincidence there!).  Paranormal?  Angels?  Some other kinds of signs? Complete accidents?  Who knows.  All I know is, they happen.

One might say that such coincidences are bound to happen, and, say for the conspiracy theorists, the more one looks for certain patterns the more one will be prone to confirmation bias. Last night I watched a program on Donald Trump and conspiracy theories on CNN. I used to be convinced that I had ESP, and I remember our talks about coincidences and other strange things.

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (Hamlet). And by a not coincidence, I played Hamlet in a play called Haunted House Hamlet.   I liked to fancifully tell the story that I wore a codpiece made of real cod when playing Hamlet, but it died and fell off as I failed to water it, and I should have gone with, say, a blowfishpiece or a suckerfishpiece.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2020 at 10:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:41
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

ShhhhhhhhhWink

This reminds me of some math humor:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:05
Haha, that's good humour. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>