Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll XIII - Surprise, surprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Poll Question: Pick your three favourites!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.51%]
6 [16.22%]
5 [13.51%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
4 [10.81%]
4 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

One might say that such coincidences are bound to happen, and, say for the conspiracy theorists, the more one looks for certain patterns the more one will be prone to confirmation bias. Last night I watched a program on Donald Trump and conspiracy theories on CNN. I used to be convinced that I had ESP, and I remember our talks about coincidences and other strange things.

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (Hamlet). And by a not coincidence, I played Hamlet in a play called Haunted House Hamlet.   I liked to fancifully tell the story that I wore a codpiece made of real cod when playing Hamlet, but it died and fell off as I failed to water it, and I should have gone with, say, a blowfishpiece or a suckerfishpiece.

I had mentioned elsewhere (not here, elsewhere, but another site entirely), that I feel that the people who are not protesting peacefully in Portland, are indirectly responsible for 45 feeling he can get away with bringing in the Feds without a by-your-leave from local and state government.  Or, maybe directly, as in being supporters who have come in to discredit the peaceful protesters, and therefore more or less in cahoots with 45.  I do tend to try to avoid that kind of thinking and prefer to consider what one can do to counteract what one disagrees with (ie peaceful protest, or at least, at my age and abilities, being supportive of such peaceful protest).

That is hilarious, about the codpiece.  When I lived in Santa Cruz, they used to put on the Miss California pageant every year.  A peaceful protest began where, in a parade, women wore elabourate costumes made of meat (long before Lady Gaga thought of it). The Myth Kalifornia march had Ann Simonton at it's forefront.  Here's an article from the local entertainment paper about it, in 1986.  https://goodtimes.sc/cover-stories/the-f-word/
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:18
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Shhhhhhhhh I have a secret to tell you Shhhhhhhhhhh

I call this my nightly miracle.  I turn water to wine every night.  Switch your water glass to a wine glass and .......voila!

ShhhhhhhhhWink

This reminds me of some math humor:

LOL I might have to appropriate that for one of our prog chat groups that talks a LOT about beer.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:58
Dvar - Gyandarvaal

I stumbled across this some years ago and thought: WTF, but I really love it. It's very quirky. Dvar are from Russia, and they keep their identities secret. This has lead to many speculations about who they are (one of the more famous being that it was really the secret project of Michael Jackson!). They also claim that the music is communicated to them in dreams from a giant bee called Dvar.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 12:23
This is one of my favorite albums. It's not just one of my favorites, it's one of those albums that I consider an absolute masterpiece (I say this rarely) from every point of view, beyond my personal tastes. 

I bought it on the French island of Corsica (it is called the island of beauty), where traditional folk music groups sing medieval polyphonic songs that were sung in medieval Italy. The "corse" language is an Italian dialect, and it belongs to the Romance languages, and originated from the Renaissance Tuscan (around 1300 a. C), especially from the city of Pisa, with Genoese, and even Mediterranean influences of the most disparate, from the Calabrian to Moroccan. It resembles the Sardinian language, which is a real language, derived directly from Latin, especially for the frequent use of the "U" but in reality, deriving from the Italian of Tuscany this similarity is only a convergence. 

The polyphonic Corsican groups perform choral songs "a cappella" or with few instruments, and resemble Gregorian chant, that is to say the sacred songs of Italy but in reality they have developed a very special, endemic form. 

The Corsican language if read is very understandable for an Italian (but not for a French) and the father of the homeland (Corsica), Pasquale Paoli, who defended Corsica from the French, said that the "corse" is only a vulgar language of Italian (and he was right). The oral Corsican language is not so easily understood for an Italian, especially because of the polyphonies but when I read a text written in "corse", I understand almost everything. I am from Northern Italy, and I understand the language of the Corsica better than the language spoken in Napoli (Naples) or Sicilian.

A Filetta group is one of these polyphonic Corsican groups, and perhaps the best. I had already listened to choral songs by Muvrini, perhaps the most famous Corsican group, and by Vitalba, and I liked them very much, both for singing and for the melodies. The instrumental arrangement was not or was minimal: drums, acoustic guitar and perhaps nothing else. 

Then here's the SURPRISE. 

I buy this record, where the group A Filetta plays together with an Italian jazz musician, Paolo Fresu (Sardinian, that is the island of Sardinia, attached to Corsica), a great trumpeter, and flugelhorn player, and also together with a true classical composer, Daniele di Bonaventura, bandoneon player .... what do I listen to? 

SURPRISE: a fusion music: the polyphonic choral folk of A Filetta together with the jazz trumpet of Paolo Fresu and the tango bandoneon of Daniele di Bonaventura. 

What music is this? Folk + polyphonic vocals + jazz + tango? 

It is in my opinion a very refined, high quality syncretic music, which creates a unique and intense, truly intense atomosphere. Enjoy it, I hope it will be a real surprise for you.

EDIT: I VOSTRI SGUARDI is the first song of this fantastic album DANSE MEMOIRE, DANSE. I discovered A Filetta by listening to their song which, I say it from now on is my nomination. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- Since then I have searched for their songs as much as possible, and I have bought other albums by internet, they are always beautiful but not exceptional like this one. 
On youtube I found many of their songs, including this one that expresses well the intensity with which they sing.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 22 2020 at 03:03
"Happiness is real only when shared"
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 13:36
Back when this album came out I was anticipating it greatly and I was so excited the first time that I heard this was when it was played on the radio.  I couldn't believe how heavy it was.  Anyhow, nothing that most in this thread will appreciate, but it meets the goal of surprising me.

But we are going for non-PA bands, so I will have to give this some more thought.  Hmmm.something outside of prog that surprised me.  Confused

Edited by rushfan4 - July 21 2020 at 15:30
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 13:53
^ That was the first Rush song I heard, it was on Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. I only became aware of them some years later though.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 14:07
that's interesting.. the more so outside the lines of prog where the whole name of the proggame is discovery and finding those surprises

I'd like to think I have a rather subtantial immersion and wide range in tastes in music in general and in that I suppose I have for it was really hard to think of something that truly surprised me.... blindsided me...

well.. until it wasn't..  for even though I can really only think of one example. It truly was a 'surprise'

was knocked completely sideward.. and I wasn't the only one... I had never heard of him.. after this. .everyone knew of him.

but if one needs a slong suggestion specfically.. once he did this song..  became a permenant occupant of my mobile player

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 15:28
OK, after some brain-racking, I've decided on three songs I discovered thanks to my dear other half. They are all relatively well-known, but - unlike most of you - I am not very likely to come across some new, impressive music by mere chance. I don't watch TV, nor do I listen to the radio - which limits opportunities a lot. Anyway, all these songs are rather different from what I normally listen to.

First one is an example of dance music that one can also listen to - I do like to "shake it" on occasion, and the very cool video does not hurt either:

Second choice, a rather very well-known song by Bob Welch-era Fleetwood Mac:

And last but not least, a haunting song with a very sexy video:

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 15:36
you go darling Heart..  yeah... perhaps in another 10 years you'll post your favorite Willie Nelson song hahah

yeah. the World Clique album shakes about 558 asses. 

and I'd say the Welch years were in fact their best years

and good God I love Chris. that voice .. actually I was a bit surprised you got into him

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 15:45
You guys rock and roll! Keep the surprises coming! Özgür, have a good time! You're always welcome!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 16:14
Here was a surprise to me.  I did not expect to hear this when I first heard this, as it is on a recording by Robbie Robertson & The Red Road Ensemble, Music for the Native Americans.  I find it just hypnotic and gorgeous.  Although I knew the premise of the LP before hearing it, I expected to hear Robbie Robertson, pretty much.  This is actually an all female Native American group, Ulali, performing Mahk Jchi, who guested on his album.

I am still contemplating an alternate.  I'm torn because the piece I most want to use doesn't have anything of it in particular, on YT.  I know that dropbox works here, am I allowed to make a copy of it from my own collection and paste it here?  I do own the LP (and CD), just for some reason that one by the artist doesn't appear anywhere on YT.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 16:37
hahaha.. oh that one got a rise out of Raff Nickie.. she was bustling about when I clicked on that and she asked..

what is THAT..

and meant I suspect in a very good way.. loving it myself
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 16:44
This one, which is made by a British musician/ comedic actor (I like a lot of his music and shows he has worked in), initially surprised me when I first heard certain vocals come in at 2:45 --please play from earlier (with questionable lyrics).

This is my favourite track off the album, by the way (tres proggy):

Edited by Logan - July 21 2020 at 16:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 16:45
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahaha.. oh that one got a rise out of Raff Nickie.. she was bustling about when I clicked on that and she asked..

what is THAT..

Oh, hooray!!!!  I get very frustrated by yours and Raff's suggestions, because I usually know them and love them already.  I'm glad I got one by both of you that you didn't know, it surprises me when you don't, as we parallel so many (except for Raff's Italian ones, which are usually new to me, and also hit a good nerve).
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 16:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Özgür, have a good time! You're always welcome!

Thanks man!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 16:50

what is THAT..

Oh, hooray!!!!  I get very frustrated by yours and Raff's suggestions, because I usually know them and love them already.  I'm glad I got one by both of you that you didn't know, it surprises me when you don't, as we parallel so many (except for Raff's Italian ones, which are usually new to me, and also hit a good nerve).

too funny....yeah.. you got me there with that one.... but by a hair

Funny just very recently had I read of that album.. sounded like something I would dig .. and had meant to check it out.  

Mission accompllshed in that thanks to you Clap.. oh yeah..  I need to hear the whole thing now
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 17:01
before I dive back into what everyone has posted so far...

let me riff on the surprise part of this..  I don't know about you all.. but I'll find (and have so far) why you might have been surprised to be as interested as whatever you choose.

For me ..  being surprised ...  a hard notion. I don't think it comes from being open-minded or not..  I just think for me it is lack of expectations I put on anything I hear.  So if I like it.. great.. if not..  oh well

so for me.. modern popular music is probably the closest thing to being at a point where I am close minded. I don't write it off as crap as some do.. I just don't relate to much of it...  doesn't hit me in the chest.. or the head.  Mars though..  what a talent as a musician, peformer, and songwriter..  he most certainly was a surprise because I not expecting to like him..  or even to not like him... I didn't expect anything at all but to perhaps be bored. LOL

Edited by micky - July 21 2020 at 17:03
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 17:12

but I'll find (and have so far) why you might have been surprised to be as interested as whatever you choose.

Good point!
Diethelm/Famulari surprised me by sheer quality where I didn't expect it, but that wasn't the only thing. I hadn't been prepared for Diethelm's guitar playing (using the delay to play duets with himself), and the whole thing has such a wonderfully relaxed free flying atmosphere being at the same time very intricate and sophisticated. It didn't sound like anything I had heard before. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 17:18

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

One might say that such coincidences are bound to happen, and, say for the conspiracy theorists, the more one looks for certain patterns the more one will be prone to confirmation bias. Last night I watched a program on Donald Trump and conspiracy theories on CNN. I used to be convinced that I had ESP, and I remember our talks about coincidences and other strange things.

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (Hamlet). And by a not coincidence, I played Hamlet in a play called Haunted House Hamlet.   I liked to fancifully tell the story that I wore a codpiece made of real cod when playing Hamlet, but it died and fell off as I failed to water it, and I should have gone with, say, a blowfishpiece or a suckerfishpiece.

I had mentioned elsewhere (not here, elsewhere, but another site entirely), that I feel that the people who are not protesting peacefully in Portland, are indirectly responsible for 45 feeling he can get away with bringing in the Feds without a by-your-leave from local and state government.  Or, maybe directly, as in being supporters who have come in to discredit the peaceful protesters, and therefore more or less in cahoots with 45.  I do tend to try to avoid that kind of thinking and prefer to consider what one can do to counteract what one disagrees with (ie peaceful protest, or at least, at my age and abilities, being supportive of such peaceful protest).

That is hilarious, about the codpiece.  When I lived in Santa Cruz, they used to put on the Miss California pageant every year.  A peaceful protest began where, in a parade, women wore elabourate costumes made of meat (long before Lady Gaga thought of it). The Myth Kalifornia march had Ann Simonton at it's forefront.  Here's an article from the local entertainment paper about it, in 1986.  https://goodtimes.sc/cover-stories/the-f-word/

A very interesting point about 45. In the documentary it was all about how 45 has appealed to, perpetuated and cited conspiracy theorists (such as Alex Jones), and propagated conspiracy "theories" (I use theory in a non-scientific sense). It's sad how easily people can be manipulated, deceived, have negative biases reinforced, and how utterly irrational people can be.I do in part blame the education system for not putting enough emphasis on teaching children how to think critically. As is often said, a good teacher doesn't teach what to think but how to think. Questioning is often not encouraged, and certain parents and lobbyist and special interest groups make it harder for the teachers who do wish to expose the students to things such as rational scientific inquiry and principles of reason generally (and epistemology generally). But I speak as something of a cod philosopher, codpiece and all.

I remember hearing about the meat dress, and have had issues with beauty pageants myself -- PETA would have preferred tofurkey or some such thing (a Vegan protest). Women, burn your meat bras. I like my brassieres well-braised. I'm glad that no one let the dogs out "Woof, woof, woof" (unless I missed that bit), that would spell trouble. An interesting link (to the article, not to the links of sausages I mean), which I have only skimmed so far.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2020 at 17:19
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 18:06
SURPRISE: THE ACOUSTIC VERSIONS OF BORN IN THE USA.

Everyone knows Born in the Usa. The original version, a hymn song, few chords with synth and hammering drums, which may seem like a nationalistic anthem, and in fact Reagan tried to take possession of it ... 

But Born in the Usa is a protest song, it is a suffered blues which narrates a nation of losers, and its true sound, the one in which the music is consistent with the text, is that of an acoustic blues, born for the album Nebraska (acoustic album, in fact a demo released in full dance music era, 1982), but rejected because considered ... too out of context. 

The demo version that was to put on Nebraska was published on Tracks, the collection of the most beautiful Springsteen outtakes. Here it is: 

The years go by, and Springsteen writes The Ghost of Tom Joad, a semi-acoustic album of protest songs. He goes on tour alone, vocals, acoustic guitar, harmonica and live churns out a new acoustic version of Born in The Usa, even more beautiful than the original demo. 
Here it is:

The years pass, and returning together with the E Street Band Springsteen in Live in NY City he publishes another acoustic version of Born in The Usa, here it is:

What a surprise these versions and above all, what a huge beauty to listen to them!
Which is the best in your opinion? In my opinion they are three priceless masterpieces.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 22 2020 at 04:02
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>