Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll XIII - Surprise, surprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Poll Question: Pick your three favourites!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.51%]
6 [16.22%]
5 [13.51%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
4 [10.81%]
4 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 01:34
tough one, my top 3

Air - Radian
Steve Miller Band - Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma
Bruno Pernadas - Spaceway 70
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 08:05
Still listening to the nominated songs. I've been a bit busy in the past couple of days, and - to be perfectly honest - sometimes the forum was not my favourite place to be.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone (Lorenzo?) noticed that the lady who introduces Carmen at the beginning of the video is none other but Amanda Lear, who was featured in one of the previous polls.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 08:18
this is a hard one to choose from.. perhaps the hardest yet haha. Good job everyone! Beer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 08:31
"Groove is in the Heart", wonderful track, that was song of the year in about 1989 or 90. Great video too. The surprise was an appearance by Bootsy

Edited by Easy Money - July 26 2020 at 08:31
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 08:36
"Uptown Funk" is okay, but a little too derivative. Also, I had to play that in a cover band covering all instruments; guitar, synths and horns all on a keyboard. It took many solo rehearsals to get all the parts down, after the wedding gig was over, I never played that song again.

Edited by Easy Money - July 26 2020 at 17:09
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:57
This was a tough one.  There are a lot of great tracks out there.

My favorite vote-able tracks from this thread were Portrait, Radian, I Vostri Sguardi, Groove is in the Heart (love the infectious groove), Gyandarvaal, Mahk Jchi (big Robbie Roberson fan, but I was unfamiliar with this album), and Spaceway 70.  Any of these could have made the top 3 easily in any other poll.  In the end, I went with these three:

1. Air - "Radian"
2. Bruno Pernadas - "Spaceway 70"
3. A Filetta - "I Vostri Sguardi"

I was too familiar already with the excellent Neil Diamond track and the King Missile track (and others) that they were eliminated on my part for that reason.

Edited by TCat - July 26 2020 at 10:00

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:14
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Still listening to the nominated songs. I've been a bit busy in the past couple of days, and - to be perfectly honest - sometimes the forum was not my favourite place to be.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone (Lorenzo?) noticed that the lady who introduces Carmen at the beginning of the video is none other but Amanda Lear, who was featured in one of the previous polls.

Oh yeah!!!
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Awesome with the playlist and love hearing the alternates.

Already shared my thoughts on the music and there is so much great stuff, but these five are so very, very strong for me.

- Bruno Pernadas - Spaceway 70. I absolutely adore this -- it's so my bag, Ilove the jazzy tropica qualities and playfulness. Luminous. For sheer enjoyment, it's likely my favourite of the series. It brightened my day. So fresh

- A Filetta, Paolo Fresu, Daniele di Bonaventura - I vostri sguardi. A very remarkable piece of music. Amazing. I knew that would be a top one as soon as I heard it. Definitely one of my very favourites of the series. I absolutely love it.

Here's to you another piece by A Filetta, live

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:26
^ I'm enjoying that, thanks Lorenzo.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:47
---Diethelm - Family Portrait. Foolish song, with great rhythm, first on guitar then on percussion then on piano, then keyboards. It's not clear what kind it is, and that's the beauty of it. Perhaps too long: a slower pace would have benefited. Podium candidate. 

---Pulp Dishes: catchy and slow melodic song where the singer's baritone and guttural voice matters a lot. Good crescendo in the final. Excellent melody. Podium candidate. 

---Air Radian. For two minutes there are only electronic sounds on the keyboards that I don't like, then the hyperfast harp arrives and finally the flutes that change the mood of the song in my opinion improve it a lot, then the drums arrive and the harp returns. The song seems almost a bolero, at this point, an eternal crescendo but on the contrary ends with a long jazzy tail. Good composition and interesting arrangement. Original music. Will he come to the podium? 

---Dvaar: prolonged sound with keyboards or organ up to about two minutes, then hyper-fast horns and a drum machine arrive and the rhythm accelerates more and more, becoming robotic and cybernetic. Original and refined music but the sound does not excite me and in reality I do not see a great musical idea under the excellent arrangement 

--- Rush: excellent performance, wild music. But I don't like it, honestly.

---Fleetwood Mac: nice pop song, great vocals, but I don't like such intrusive and repetitive percussion.

--- Wicked Game. I love this song. The guitar tour alone creates an unforgettable atmosphere.

--- Is This ... Cohen's pleasantly ramshackle folk song ... Cohen is always Cohen.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:55
---Nickie's song: minimalist percussive arrangement, the beauty of the music lies entirely in the vocals, which I keep saying remind me of Japanese songs. Great atmosphere. Will he come to the podium? 

---Mark Ronson: what a bombastic funk. Why does he remind me of Michael Jackson?
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 20:52
I might provide comments later. Voted from my phone:

1. Diethelm/Famulari - Portrait
2. Mahk Jchi - Heartbeat Drum Song
3. Steve Miller Band - Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 23:54
----What a pleasure to listen to A-Ha again after ... 30 years! I was very intrigued by this song, and I liked the rhythm and the piece where the singer's voice is in the foreground. But I don't like production and sound. 

---Neil diamond: Well. First of all, listening to Neil Diamond immediately makes me think that there are singers for the gift of mother nature and singers who have become singer after a long apprenticeship and a work on the voice. In a nutshell: Neil diamond has a wonderful voice, and it makes a difference with all the singers who don't have it. The song? Melodically traditional but remarkable. The arrangement seems to me to be lacking: there would have been a nice piano in the foreground and the soft drums. Podium?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 02:44
Vote number one for I vostri sguardi... but actually NO SURPRISE AT ALL that Lorenzo comes up with something stunning and unique like this, with strong traditional/classical influences, and shows me once more the musical richness of the country in which I choose to live as a stranger.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 02:49
Short comment on Uptown Funk, although I'm not going to vote for it. I have probably heard this several times and other stuff that seems similar to me, so no surprise factor here... however what surprises me is that if I listen to something like this, that really normally isn't my kind of music, and I know that this was selected by somebody with tastes as something that really means something to him - I listen to it trying to appreciate its qualities and more often than not I actually succeed and get to like it, even though if it was played randomly on the radio, I probably would ignore it. Well done micky!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 03:16
I wrote earlier that you don't need to vote for the surprise factor but just for how much you like it, but going through things myself I feel the temptation to vote for the most surprising stuff even if there is some good stuff that these days doesn't surprise me at all - such as Leonard Cohen or the one by Bruno Pernadas, which is high quality music but has no surprise factor to me. I read the reason of Meltdowner for nominating this again and yes, it makes sense. I was after this kind of surprise, too, when opening the poll. I won't vote for this as even quality-wise for me personally it would end up in fourth or fifth place.

On the other hand, can't say that I'm going to be a Dee-Lite fan any time soon, but yes, this is original and surprising. Same of course the detachable penis, hell, that one may even scratch the podium.

Mahk Jchi, Carmen, and Steve Miller are half way between surprise factor and greatness. All these appeal to me and are special... and may not quite be up there... but then they might (haven't yet decided on vote 2 and 3).

Halfway through the tour... surprised that apparently nobody else has made a song with this topic! It's a pleasant listen but narrowly fails to enter my top 3 A-Ha songs (and they have >3 great songs... maybe not as many as Nik Kershaw Wink but still...) as well as the top 3 here.

The Neil Diamond one is quality music for sure but not really my cup of tea. Beautiful People - the Hendrix sample idea is fun, the track doesn't get me really.

Dvar on the other hand... this is the kind of music I'm easily game for... but have heard actually quite a bit of such stuff, so low surprise factor for me.

Now listening to Air - Radian for the third time... if it comes out strong again it will snatch the second spot, although it annoys me to always vote for Logan's stuff; other people deserve my votes, too. But also the surprise factor is there... I remember having heard quite a bit of Air at the time, but none was as good as this now seems to me.  Yeah, gotta do that.

So I have a top two now, but half the rest and more is tied for third...

Edited by Lewian - July 27 2020 at 03:31
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 03:25
OK, on the mood of the day I go for Carmen on third, actually tied with Dvar, but Dvar already has a vote and Carmen hasn't. Both of these convinced me at third listen

The Dvar one is very good and I didn't know them, so I've got to check them out. Also the second half actually has some quite surprising twists and turns. Carmen suffers a bit from the sound quality, but just today I feel I need this music!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 04:12
--- King Missile: Good sound of the guitars but terrible video... this is a guilty pleasure.

--- Carmen: Bulerias: Spanish prog music. Good commercial music.

---Steve Miller Band. Oh, this is only rock and roll and I like it- Good sound, very inspired song. Great bass. This is what I call immediate music, born from a genuine inspiration. Candidate to the podium.

--- Bruno Pernadas: very relaxed and relaxing song. Easy listening. With his music I imagine women in bikini in a beach in Kenya (or Brazil?)

--- Beautiful People. Well here every credit goes to Hendrix. But okay very relaxing song... cocktail lounge? Or a girl in your room after dinner in the darkness, while you are whispering sweet words...

---Dee-Lite... funny demential funky song.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 04:24
In this poll, as far as my tastes are concerned, there are excellent songs but I don't find one that stands out over the others. 

Anyway, here's my podium:

1) Mahk Jchi - Heartbeat Drum Song

2) Leonard Cohen - Is this what you wanted

3) Steve Miller Band - Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma

Honorable mentions:

4) Neil Diamond - Be

5) Air - Radian

6) Diethelm/Famulari - Portrait

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 04:25
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

--- Bruno Pernadas: very relaxed and relaxing song. Easy listening. With his music I imagine women in bikini in a beach in Kenya (or Brazil?)
The inspiration for this album came from his time in Florida. It's actually more exotic than Brazil for us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>