Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll XIII - Surprise, surprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Poll Question: Pick your three favourites!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [13.51%]
6 [16.22%]
5 [13.51%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
4 [10.81%]
4 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 04:56
OK, a bit later than most other participants, here are my votes. While it was very easy for me to pick my #1, the runners-up were a bit harder to choose. This time around I cast four votes instead of just three, with two songs tied up for the third slot. Here we are:

A Filetta/Paolo Fresu - I vostri sguardi: As soon as I heard it, I knew it would be my first pick. Simply stunning. I'll look for the album next time I am in Italy.

Mahk Jchi - Heartbeat Drum Song: Though I knew about the album, I'd never got round to listening to anything from it. I am glad to have had the opportunity. Magnificent, haunting music.

Tied for third slot:
Air - Radian: Very beautiful, atmospheric music.
Diethelm/Famulari - Portrait: Very unique stuff, hard to describe, but pushed all the right buttons in its own way.

For my two honourable mentions,  I chose two very different songs, both very catchy, upbeat and radio-friendly, because we all need something like that from time to time: "Uptown Funk" and the Steve Miller Band song (which I was already familiar with).
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 07:53
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Mahk Jchi - Heartbeat Drum Song: Though I knew about the album, I'd never got round to listening to anything from it. I am glad to have had the opportunity. Magnificent, haunting music.
  Note on this recording, there is one other Ulali piece, but most of it is indeed Robbie Robertson and other colleagues, doing songs with the theme of the Native American communities, of which he is part.  It was a soundtrack for a TV documentary, "The Native Americans."  Their two pieces are not typical of the entire recording.  Link to wiki re this soundtrack and contributors:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_for_The_Native_Americans

Ulali has done many public appearances and are on several compilation recordings and other soundtracks.  They have performed together since 1987.  Here is a link to the wiki about them and their contributions and credits, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulali
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

In this poll, as far as my tastes are concerned, there are excellent songs but I don't find one that stands out over the others. 

Anyway, here's my podium:

1) Mahk Jchi - Heartbeat Drum Song

2) Leonard Cohen - Is this what you wanted

3) Steve Miller Band - Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma

Honorable mentions:

4) Neil Diamond - Be

5) Air - Radian

6) Diethelm/Famulari - Portrait

I am pleased you enjoyed that so much, Lorenzo.  *curtseys*  Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 18:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Lewian:  Diethelm “Famulari – Portrait”  Really intriguing mix, the sound itself is almost like it’s being suppressed (not like compressed, however), sort of like it’s being played in a room down the corridor from the listener.  (...) I really enjoyed that strange production with the distance it created.

You are such an expert listener that you can make me find something new to appreciate about a track that I have probably heard hundreds of times. I think it once crossed my mind that something is strange about the production, but you mention it as a major feature and that makes me listen to it differently, thanks!

By the way, the whole Valleys in my Head album where this can be found is totally awesome; unfortunately quite a bit better then everything else they or one of them have recorded that I know (I may not know it all but the Valleys in my Head album made me check out the majority of what they have).

I listened to this in entirety today.  I really loved most of it, I haven't really heard anything before quite like it.  I love the shimmery quality to it, almost like underwater in kelp reefs for some reason comes to me, or being on long desert roads where those heat mirages shimmer up and there are strange and deserted landscapes.  It's very cinematic to me.  Definitely will return to it, especially the more preferred pieces which are the ones with the other-worldly quality.  Thank you.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 18:52
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

In this poll, as far as my tastes are concerned, there are excellent songs but I don't find one that stands out over the others. 

Anyway, here's my podium:

1) Mahk Jchi - Heartbeat Drum Song

2) Leonard Cohen - Is this what you wanted

3) Steve Miller Band - Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma

Honorable mentions:

4) Neil Diamond - Be

5) Air - Radian

6) Diethelm/Famulari - Portrait

I am pleased you enjoyed that so much, Lorenzo.  *curtseys*  Smile

LOL
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011