Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Covid-19 Invitational Tournament-Heavy Hitters #1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tournament-Heavy Hitters #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which song should move on to the next round?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [46.15%]
1 [3.85%]
8 [30.77%]
2 [7.69%]
3 [11.54%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Invitational Tournament-Heavy Hitters #1
    Posted: July 22 2020 at 08:07
Hello and welcome to the Covid-19 Invitational Tournament.  I have selected 120 songs from 120 different artists and I have "invited" them to participate in this tournament.  The concept is that you are "The Man" and you have the power to influence the mainstream world to fall in love with a song from a progressive rock band.  Whilst I know that we would prefer that this hit song be a 25 minute epic or a 3-minute masterclass in dissonance all of the songs that I have chosen are of the 5 minute or less variety (I cheated and picked a couple of slightly longer songs but most of them are 5 minutes or less).  All of these songs have been released in the last 3 years (a couple that I chose that were released in 2017, so may be slightly more than 3 years).  I have broken the songs into 24 brackets of 5 songs each.  There are 6 different categories and 4 groupings of each category.  Once the totals are tallied the 4 winners of each bracket plus one wild card will move on to the next round.  I have chosen the songs either because they are catchy, they have good lyrics, they can be danced to, they have a good hook, or mostly just because I like the song. This means that most of the songs are from crossover, symphonic, or Neo, but hopefully there will be a few surprises along the way.  

I will add one poll per day for the next 24 days.  My thought is that the polls will remain open until the end of August at which time I will start the 2nd round.  My goal is to hopefully introduce you to something new that maybe you have not heard.  I hope that you have as much fun participating as I had listening and creating this tournament.  The number of new songs released in the past three years is ridiculous and I could not possibly have heard all of them so I apologize if I miss songs that you think might be better choices or if you think that there are better choices of songs from a band that I selected.  Please share other options, and who knows, if people enjoy this tournament, a follow up can be created using songs that you suggest.  

Anyhow, to get started here are five songs from what I am calling the Heavy Hitters bracket.  These are all well-known bands, many who may have had mainstream success or at least very popular within the prog community.

Please try and have fun with this.  If you are a PA lurker, please sign up and add your votes.  The more the merrier.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:31
I somehow get the impression this will not be a contest for me. LOL
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:44
From this list, Phideaux.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 14:21
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Sadly, you probably are not alone since these are likely the songs that many of you love to hate, but to me they are good songs.  I guess is that all I can hope for is that some of these songs connect with a few people.  Maybe you will like some of the "surprises" or maybe you won't.  I imagine I might not have the right audience here, but if not here then nowhere and if nowhere then that leads us back to here.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 14:40
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Sadly, you probably are not alone since these are likely the songs that many of you love to hate, but to me they are good songs.  I guess is that all I can hope for is that some of these songs connect with a few people.  Maybe you will like some of the "surprises" or maybe you won't.  I imagine I might not have the right audience here, but if not here then nowhere and if nowhere then that leads us back to here.  

I wouldn't go as far and say I hate them (although that SW track is particularly garish), and I certainly don't love to hate anything. It's just this type of stuff is generally not what I look for in music. 

I will keep poking my head in to the future ones nevertheless. Smile
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 16:44
Great ideaClap! In spite of what some people may believe, I do like a well-written, catchy song. I actually liked three out of five songs in this poll: Phideaux and SW I was already familiar with, and APP was a pleasant surprise. On the other hand, Muse didn't do a lot for me, and Neal Morse is just not my cup of tea, even when he's not preaching Wink. I think this time I'll go with APP, though I am also tempted to vote for SW, whose Beatles-influenced song I have always liked.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 17:01
I love Muse. Their new album is great. Algorithms is yet another showcase of Matt Bellamy's beautiful arrangements.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:15
Ok, I admit I love Permanating. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 07:53
Alright, so day one didn't exactly "shock the world" but maybe it'll pick up steam as we go.  Thank you for those who have voted and commented.  There has to be an audience out there for these songs. I know that the crowd gets pretty excited for Permanating on the Steven Wilson live DVD.  There's gotta be some folks from Manchester that are like "dude he's singing about us! *devil horns*.   I love listening to the epics and the complex chord changes as much as the next PAer, but I've always felt that our prog friends can also write damn fine catchy "pop" tunes as well.  I think that the feeling amongst all of us old-timers is that this forum has grown really stale with all the conversations about Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush, King Crimson and all the 70's bands.  There is room for discussion about other artists and that is really what I am trying to start with this tournament.  I am trying to "introduce" you to songs from the last three years.  I get there are those of you that are going to hate these songs because there are no out of tune saxophones or oboes or that they aren't using vintage mellotrons or moogs and that there are those of you who heard Genesis play in 9/8ths so nobody else is allowed to do that because they are just being but hopefully, there are some of you out there who just like to hear a good song.   Anyhow, here's hoping for more discussions and I will be adding the next bracket soon.  Cheers!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 08:50
I only knew Permanating but voted for Phideaux, it's easily the best one. The rest sounds too artificial to me.
I have no problem with Wilson making Pop though, I really like Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 08:57
Wow!  A prog song about Manchester?  Get's my vote!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 09:22
Thank you for your efforts, rushfan, it'll pick up steam. Took me to find the right moment to listen to them. Voted for Phideaux, more because of lack of originality with the others and also because I am discovering Phideaux only very recently. Hesitated a moment with Muse though; this incites me to listen to their album.
Never got into neither Neil Morse nor Steven Wilson's solo efforts - theses songs won't change that. And Alan Parsons is quite disappointing here, imho, a bit too cheesy.

I will try to follow and vote in this tournament !

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:22
The Wilson tune is the worst. Phideaux, the best. Never been a fan of Muse. Neal and APP meh.

Thanks for doing this and I hope more members join in. Current music is severely overlooked here. Any chance others can suggest some tunes?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - July 23 2020 at 10:26
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:23
I like the Wilson tune and Phideaux. Voted Wilson.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:47
Though I sincerely hope these polls will pick up steam (and I intend to participate in all of them), I think the number of responses so far for a poll based on new prog music is quite good. Of course, it would be nice if people who have no interest in this, or just don't find the music to their taste, kept it to themselves. This is a general remark, not aimed at anyone who posted here.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:05
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

The Wilson tune is the worst. Phideaux, the best. Never been a fan of Muse. Neal and APP meh.

Thanks for doing this and I hope more members join in. Current music is severely overlooked here. Any chance others can suggest some tunes?
I am happy to have other tunes suggested.  If it is for an artist I've already included, I might change out the tune to one that is suggested.  I had also thought that I might add a round for others' suggestions or if there were enough interest to create a follow-up tournament with the other suggested tunes.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:12
Having taken the time to listen to all of these, the Phideaux really stood out as my clear favourite. I found it excellent.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:20
I only knew Phideaux and SW. After listened to the others, I have to say that the APP was a really good suggestion, but... Phideaux +1
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 12:10
I was listening to Phideaux's Infernal the other day and while I really enjoy the album this song just really stood out for me as the song that would have been the huge hit back in the day.  Kind of the Another Brick in the Wall of Comfortably Numb of today so to speak.  It was kind of the inspiration for me for the entire tournament.

Muse are a band that have had some mainstream success, hence their inclusion in this bracket.  I could have gone for something like Dig Down or Something Human, but Algorithm kind of stood out for me.  Something about the rhythm made my toes tap.  

Steven Wilson's Permanating song is one of my "cheat" songs, as it is from 2017, but it fit exactly for what am kind of going for with these polls.  As he openly announced this was his shot at the big time audience.

I know that Neal Morse is one of those artists that greatly divides the forums with his religious preaching.  I for one, love his music, especially his concept albums.  I'm not religious and don't care for the preaching but I guess I tend to look beyond that and enjoy the stories.  Maybe listening to his music will score me points with THE BIG GUY.  LOL  I found his solo album Life and Times to just be a fun listen.  There are a number of really good songs on there.  Manchester just stands out for me, probably because of the humor to the song.  It is truly bubblegummy and reminds me of some 60's music with its' harmonies.  Anyhow, just to share another song that I really like from that album, but it brings a tear to my eyes I will share this one.  I didn't include it in the poll because it was over 5 minutes, but it is a really touching song and I think could have made it to the mainstream.

With Alan Parsons' latest album the theme of all the songs revolves around magic.  The song that I think that would most likely appeal to PAers is the the first song on the album The Sorcerer's Apprentice, but I chose One Note Symphony for the tournament because I just find it to be a very catchy tune.  If your interested in checking out The Sorcerer's Apprentice, I have included it here.  Steve Hackett guests on this song and as you might guess, Mickey Mouse makes an appearance.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 23 2020 at 12:12
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 13:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Having taken the time to listen to all of these, the Phideaux really stood out as my clear favourite. I found it excellent.
I'm glad you found something to like in the grouping.  I don't imagine that too many of my choices will be your cup of tea, but hopefully a few will find the mark. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>