Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which is THE Moody Blues Epic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Whcih is THE Moody Blues Epic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [39.58%]
17 [35.42%]
5 [10.42%]
3 [6.25%]
4 [8.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is THE Moody Blues Epic?
    Posted: July 22 2020 at 10:14
Whcih is THE Moody Blues Epic?

Edited by SteveG - July 22 2020 at 11:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 10:40
I would have picked "My Song" if it was a choice.  Guess I'll go with Legend of a Mind with Question just behind it

Edited by kenethlevine - July 22 2020 at 10:41
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 10:46
I voted for Nights in White Satin although most of these aren't really epics in my opinion.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 23 2020 at 19:55
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 11:08
Have You Heard, the Question on everybody's mind this Tuesday Afternoon is which is THE Moody Blues classic, and the Legend of a Mind has it that it HAS to be Nights in White Satin. Smile
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 11:13
1. Nights
2. Tuesday
3. Legend
4. Question
5. Have

All great songs.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 12:05
But none of them are what I would call Epics. However, my favourite is Nights in White Satin.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:02
Voted for Legend of a Mind. House of Four Doors / Legend of a Mind is their only piece that has some remote similarity to an epic, as far as I know.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:14
I'll say Question, just to be different. Really, could be any of at least 3 or 4 of these.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:30
Legend 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:46
I like all of them, but for very personal reasons, I voted Question.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:26
Never liked Legend of a Mind. The actual epic here should have been House of Four Doors which bookends Legend of a Mind has some really cool Mellotron and some interesting Pinder themes which are never developed on. I admit Ray Thomas is my blind spot. He's never appealed to me as a songwriter. His best song is For My Lady, not Legend of a Mind which is repetitive and rather boring with uninteresting lyrics. From the list above Have you Heard, parts 1 and 2 is pretty good, while Question possibly tops the list as the best ever Moody Blues song (with Knights in White Satin).  

Edited by iluvmarillion - July 23 2020 at 00:28
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:44
THE Moodies epic? It's probably Nights in White Satin, though it's not my favourite song here. 

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:15
Got to be Nights, but it's close with Tuesday Afternoon and Question. Are any of these really epics though?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Got to be Nights, but it's close with Tuesday Afternoon and Question. Are any of these really epics though?

I wouldn't have thought so. I've never regarded Tuesday Afternoon and Question as "epics", but Nights in White Satin has always been a true moody blue epic song for me. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 05:39

I take your point on the other songs, but if Nights isn't an epic, then I don't know what is. Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 14:28
White Satin is a hit love song, nothing more...it has some interesting mellotron work...but the lyrics are a bit mills and boon....epic my arse...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 14:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I take your point on the other songs, but if Nights isn't an epic, then I don't know what is. Confused

Agreed, proving that a song doesn't necessarily have to be 15 minutes long to be considered a proggy epic. When "Nights in White Satin" is included with "Late Lament" from the Days of Future Passed album, then it truly is a song of epic proportions with an overall running time of 7:24. Nights in White Satin is epic in terms of its grand symphonic majesty, but not necessarily epic in terms of its running time. Smile

I would question whether "Question" is an epic though. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 23 2020 at 15:06
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:12
Because the way the albums (well the classic 'Threshold' albums)are structured, with songs segueing one into another in effect creating 'movements' within a 'one track each side', the albums are epics in their own right! Well, that's what I feel anyway! Doesn't help me pick one of the options.. Have you heard pts1 & 2 as Threshold of a Dream is my favourite narrowly followed by Children's children's children.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 18:31
Legend Of A Mind..........but Nights and Tuesday Afternoon are great tracks....as are Have You Heard and  Question .
Sadly they never really did an epic long heavy piece of 15 or 20 minutes .

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 23:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Legend Of A Mind..........but Nights and Tuesday Afternoon are great tracks....as are Have You Heard and  Question .
Sadly they never really did an epic long heavy piece of 15 or 20 minutes .

Not unless you count the Days of Future Passed album as one long continuous epic suite of music, just as Cosmic Lawnmower Man mentioned. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>