Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiacs - a favourite of mine off 10 releases

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose as many as you like... (multiple choice)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [15.38%]
3 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
2 [15.38%]
2 [15.38%]
2 [15.38%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiacs - a favourite of mine off 10 releases
    Posted: July 22 2020 at 17:27
So I've chosen one track from every studio album, plus an EP, one single, and one compilation album. "The Alphabet Business Concern (Home of Fadeless Splendour)" is off Heaven Born and Ever Bright.

Vote for one or as many as you like. It's not a contest.

Edited by Logan - July 22 2020 at 17:40
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 18:07
Nothing of any artist beats Big Ship. Hardly anything except Big Ship beats Signs.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:29
I haven't heard all of these yet, but "Dirty Boy" is a masterpiece and is what got me into this band in the first place.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 06:52
The wonderful Tim Smith leaves behind such a rich catalogue.  I first saw The Cardiacs at Stonehenge 84 (in between The Enid and Hawkwind's 'dawn set') and couldn't believe what I was hearing (aided and abetted by Mexican Mushrooms).  I saw them several times in subsequent years - always great live.  
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 07:29
Threw out some more votes here because I could... Nurses Whispering Verses is one that really drills its way into my ears. Everso Closely Guarded Line must count as an epic even if the length of an epic by any other band is defined as min. 15 minutes. Stoneage Dinosaurs and Home of Fadeless Spledour (half official Cardiacs hymn) are iconic.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 12:18
As "Big Ship" already had two votes, I went for "Dirty Boy". Still learning about Cardiacs, and slowly but steadily "getting" them. Thank you, Greg, for this great poll!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 14:03
Thanks, Raff, it's much appreciated. There's so much that I love of Cardiacs.

By the way, for anyone who might prefer one without vocals, I happen to love this:

And this is the closest Cardiacs got to a proper hit, apparently it charted in the independent Top 10. This is the only one I've ever heard on mainstream rock radio (there are a few version of the song):

This concert I loved watching (but on video), and is one of the concerts that I most wish I'd had the chance to attend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmitqsDp1uw

I don't usually vote in my own polls, but if I did I could go with all of them. The first video is very poor audio quality, low-fi, and that release was put out on cassette tape.

Interesting to see The Whole World Window with no votes (not that mnay voted), I find it so beautiful. But R.E.S. would likely more of a fan favourite (I love the version of it from A Little Man and a House... and almost put that as my pick).

And earlier version of R.E.S. and a version of Tarred and Feathered were the first Cardiacs songs that I heard -- found them fun and zany at the time, but it wasn't until years later when I heard "Dirty Boy" that I became a fan, so I got Sing to God and was obsessed with it. Then I became obsessed with A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window, and then the compilation Songs For Ships and Irons, and then I became really into On Land and in the Sea.

I do hope some people discover some music to enjoy in the tracks.

One of my other favourites:

And, I don't know if anyone here has heard this, but The 180 G's did an a Capella album version of all of Sing to God called Singin' to God (they also did a Residents album):

Here is Dirty Boy done by them.

It's a remarkable cover album.

Edited by Logan - July 23 2020 at 14:07
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:45
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This concert I loved watching (but on video), and is one of the concerts that I most wish I'd had the chance to attend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmitqsDp1uw
It's great. Their earlier live album is awesome as well. I'm so sad that I never made it to see them live. I got into them in the eighties but somehow lost their track before Sing to God came out. When I moved to London in 2004 I wasn't aware that they were still playing regular live gigs there. I even rediscovered them before Tim's heart attack, but so short time before that there wasn't any chance anymore to see them live. I went to the Alphabet Business Concern convention in Salisbury and even saw Tim there. But still...

Interesting to see The Whole World Window with no votes (not that mnay voted), I find it so beautiful.

Yeah, I thought voting for them all is boring. Actually I didn't vote for The Whole World Window because I'd have selected a number of tracks from that album before it, In A City Lining, Is This The Life, The Icing on the World, probably also R.E.S., but that wouldn't have been my first choice either.

Can't still believe what has happened, after all the ups and downs and all the hope. All love to the Cardiacs family!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 22:07
^ I had remembered from a past discussion that it wasn't a preferred one of yours, Lewian, but I thought it might appeal to some others. However, not as many participated as I thought might have, which is not to imply that I don't really appreciate those who did. Quality over quantity, eh?

Great that you got to see Tim anyway. I have yet to hear the earlier Cardiacs Live, but will try to hear it ere long.
 Post Reply Post Reply