Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The most "progressive" movie soundtrack?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most "progressive" movie soundtrack?
    Posted: July 28 2020 at 15:28
The answer is without a doubt the Japanese movie Dream After Dream in which Journey did the soundtrack. It’s one of my top ten favorite albums ever too.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:26
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

but for me it's TD's Thief 

I never watched Thief, but that soundtrack is one of my favourite TD albums, and hardly ever mentioned. Clap
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 02:01
Absolutely Vanderīs Tristan Et Yseult! I think it was originally already Magmaīs second movement of Theusz Hamtaahk trilogy and Vander just used opportunity to record that piece in the studio. Also havenīt seen the movie, so donīt know how much music is used in that movie. Anyway itīs originally released as soundtrack album of that movie under Vanderīs name. I really love also Floydīs More.

You can listen Tristan Et Yseult here:
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:51
Many of the above, to be sure (Passion, Goblin, Blade Runner, 1492, Aguirre, etc.) but for me it's TD's Thief and Lisa Gerrard's Whale Rider and Baraka.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 01:31
Great movie.  Great music.  Great musician.  Wonderful person.  Love Fred Frith.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 00:57
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

"Most progressive" is a strange question anyway, and "very good and also progressive" is much easier to say for me...
The Les Revenants soundtrack by Mogwai fits the bill, I guess. (Oh no, it's a TV series... somehow all that comes to my mind leaves me in doubt about whether it qualifies... Mogwai did other soundtracks but as far as I know them this one is the best.)

Yeah I love that and the TV series itself but didn't mention it as its outside what the OP was looking for I think.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 01:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Peter Gabriel - Passion. The soundtrack for the Martin Scorsese film The Last Temptation Of Christ. (There, I said it.)

Hi,

And yes, it is a great one!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:25
Peter Gabriel - Passion. The soundtrack for the Martin Scorsese film The Last Temptation Of Christ. (There, I said it.)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:24
Snow Goose Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:15
"Most" progressive? Probably not most but it's very interesting indeed.

Dream After Dream - Journey (yes, really Smile )

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:56

"Most progressive" is a strange question anyway, and "very good and also progressive" is much easier to say for me...
The Les Revenants soundtrack by Mogwai fits the bill, I guess. (Oh no, it's a TV series... somehow all that comes to my mind leaves me in doubt about whether it qualifies... Mogwai did other soundtracks but as far as I know them this one is the best.)

Hi,

the soundtrack for KIN is excellent and is fairly well used in the film. I like the CD better and that is kinda different and rare ... only Vangelis (just about) has soundtracks where the CD is just as good! Even Blade Runner is listenable without the film!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:00
In the category of music for Silent Movies, Analog Missionary's take on Nosferatu (called "Voyage of the Demeter) deserves a mention. A snippet here (closing section) :

The whole playlist here.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It's got to be The Wall, right?

I love Pink Floyd's More soundtrack.

I like More Less.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It's got to be The Wall, right?

I love Pink Floyd's More soundtrack.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:15

That was one of my mentions in the TV soundtracks interactive round. It's also one of my very favourite TV series of the past decade.

I mentioned Art Zoyd too, good call.

We're posting too much stuff these days. I miss a lot... (But don't let me stop you posting good things!)

It wouldn't and I like synchronicity, or almost synchronicity (since it's not simultaneous). It seems that Les Revenants is a show that I'm always banging on about. Your choice from it was one of my two alternates if acts included in Prog were allowed. I was happy to go with the Utopia one, which is also I think a progressive TV show soundtrack, even if not Prog. I'll share that here for those that don't participate in the Interactive Polls.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:06

That was one of my mentions in the TV soundtracks interactive round. It's also one of my very favourite TV series of the past decade.

We're posting too much stuff these days. I miss a lot... (But don't let me stop you posting good things!)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:05
I forgot to mention one of my very favourite soundtracks, it's Bobby Beausoleil with the Freedom Orchestra's Lucifer Rising that was for a short Kenneth Anger film. It was created/ performed. and recorded in prison because Beausoil (and his band members) were inmates. Beausoleil was convicted of murder in a Charlie Manson-related case and remains in prison. Originally he was given the death penalty, but that changed because of changes in California state law.

Jimmy page was to do the soundtrack at one time but had a falling out with Anger, he still recorded a soundtrack for it, which I like too.

Edited by Logan - July 24 2020 at 07:07
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:41
Rabbit-Proof Fence - Peter Gabriel did the soundtrack (as Long Walk Home). Another good listen.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:27

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:49
Art Zoyd created a number of soundtracks for old films, so not "original soundtracks", including Nosferatu and Häxan. If these count, they have good chances to win the "most progressive" prize

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>