Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The most "progressive" movie soundtrack?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most "progressive" movie soundtrack?
    Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:01
What's in your opinion the most progressive movie soundtrack?

It must have been created for the movie and not being random progressive songs made by 70's bands put here and there, like in some movie I saw where the soundtrack is KC songs at random parts.
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:09
I really like how the story and score interplays in Spielbergs "Close Encounter of a Third Kind" but if its progressive don't know but it is a very cool motife
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:52
Hmm....A few come to mind.
A Clockwork Orange: Mainly classical music but there is some electronic music.
Passion-Last Temptation of Christ: A Peter Gabriel creation using heavy world music influence and artists.

there will be more others suggest.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:00
Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, Goblin and Vangelis have all done soundtracks so maybe one of them. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:20
Vangelis has done many soundtracks. My two favorites are Blade Runner and 1492: Conquest of Paradise.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:21
IQ made the album Subterranea.  Mathew Miller directed the movie called Subterranea based on the album.  IQ guitarist, Michael Holmes, created the music for the original movie soundtrack.  That is pretty proggy I think.  

Edited by rushfan4 - July 23 2020 at 16:22
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:18
Roger Glover made and album for a cartoon series, "The butterflies Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast". Might not be considered prog by some, but is a hell of a great concept album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:24
TONY BANKS Quicksilver
WENDY CARLOS A Clockwork Orange
KEITH EMERSON Inferno; La Chiesa (The Church); Godzilla: Final Wars
GOBLIN Profondo Rosso; Suspiria; Zombi aka Dawn of the Dead; Non Ho Sonno (I Can't Sleep)
POPOL VUH Nosferatu the Vampyre
CLAUDIO SIMONETTI Demons; Opera; Il Cartaio (The Card Player)
TANGERINE DREAM Sorcerer; Thief; Firestarter; Near Dark; Miracle Mile
VANGELIS Blade Runner
PAISTEJAM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAISTEJAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:39
        Sly stallones movie Nighthawks soundtrack is by Keith Emerson, so it's a bit proggy. Also Mel Gibsons
Payback movie has lots of 7/4 time sigs in it.
MSTEELE
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:40
My personal favorite is Popul Vuh, "Aguirre: The Wrath of God."  

From Wikipedia:

Popol Vuh's "hypnotic music"[17] for Aguirre met with considerable acclaim. Roger Ebert wrote, "The music sets the tone. It is haunting, ecclesiastical, human and yet something else... [T]he music is crucial to Aguirre, the Wrath of God..."[18] AllMusic noted, "The film's central motif blends pulsing Moog and spectral voices conjured from Florian Fricke's Mellotron-related "choir organ" to achieve something sublime, in the truest sense of the word: it's hard not to find the music's awe-inspiring, overwhelming beauty simultaneously unsettling. The power of the legendary opening sequence of Herzog's film...owes as much to Popol Vuh's music as it does to the director's mise-en-scène."[19]
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:45
Fantastic film and soundtrack (speaking of Aguirre), but also love soundtrack and film of Nosferatu, mentioned a bit more above

Edited by Snicolette - July 23 2020 at 17:46
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:48
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

IQ made the album Subterranea.  Mathew Miller directed the movie called Subterranea based on the album.  IQ guitarist, Michael Holmes, created the music for the original movie soundtrack.  That is pretty proggy I think.  

Unfortunately the movie is supposed to be a real stinker with something like a 4.0 rating on imdb. The soundtrack might be interesting to hear though. On the bright side maybe this will lead to Mike Holmes doing more soundtrack work or maybe a soundtrackish solo album. Who knows. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:50
Probably this one doesn't really count because it's actually a film about the music, but my favourite soundtrack is Step Across the Border by Fred Frith and a lot of collaborators.

Edited by Lewian - July 23 2020 at 17:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:51
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Fantastic film and soundtrack (speaking of Aguirre), but also love soundtrack and film of Nosferatu, mentioned a bit more above

Yes, I should have mentioned Popol Vuh. I certainly know about them and knew they did some soundtrack work but just forget about them for the time being.

There's also Trevor Rabin who will probably get back into more soundtrack work now that ARW is done. I'm not sure how proggy his film scores are. Not to say they are bad or anything but most just seem like typical film soundtracks to me. 

Also, there's of course Danny Elfman(formerly of Oingo Boingo)but again not sure how proggy his soundtracks are.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 23 2020 at 17:52
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 21:06
https://youtu.be/E-GpwUigHsw

I'd put in the real scene but its X ratedTongue

Patrick Moraz did a nice soundtrack--forgot the name of the film.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 21:33
It's got to be The Wall, right?

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Stygian Heresy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stygian Heresy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 23:59
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover (1989).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 00:33
Originally posted by PAISTEJAM PAISTEJAM wrote:

Sly stallones movie Nighthawks soundtrack is by Keith Emerson, so it's a bit proggy. 

Thumbs Up

Keith Emerson some excellent movie soundtracks. Nighthawks and Inferno (Dario Argento had a bit of thing for prog artists as Goblin did Suspiria a few years earlier!) are the best. Inferno had a little bit of generic horror music but there was also some inspired stuff on that one. Nighthawks has some very proggy stuff indeed and is a really good stand alone album. Also worth a mention is Best Revenge which Emerson turned into an extended suite , much like did Vangelis did with Chariots of Fire , but these were separate to the original soundtracks.

friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:40
I always thought the Back To the Future soundtracks sounded quite proggy
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:56
Bladerunner soundtrack by Vangelis is the obvious one for me, but also Wendy Carlos work on The Shining and Clockwork Orange.

Clint Mansel's soundtrack to Moon is proggy in places IIRC, but it's been A while.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>