Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Do you believe in an afterlife?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [41.67%]
28 [58.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you believe in an afterlife?
    Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:27
I don't feel the need to include an "unsure" or "other" option, though I expect that some would like to have that option. I;m me interested in what people have to say than poll results anyway. Answering yes or no does not require certainty. I don't believe that I can be certain of anything, and I am ultimately agnostic on all matters, which does not mean that I don't believe or am not convinced when it comes to many things.

While I don't believe in an after life, that there is something positive "post death" would please me, perhaps not so much an after-life, more a sort of après-vie (to reference Douglas Adams).

Often people say rest in peace, but I don't want to want to rest in peace. I'd rather raise a little hell if it comes down to it. I would rather celebritas ad maximus (party to the max) than requiescat in pace.

Or generally be dead and loving it.

I have had various experiences that have swayed me into the there is something more camp at various times (I mean there is something more in some sense, but it depends upon what one means by something more). At times I have believed that our consciousness, or some such thing, spirit some would call it or a coherent energy, does continue in some form. Ultimately I don't know, but I do not believe so nor am I convinced that it does not. I see consciousness and personality as a product of the brain, and when the brain dies, I would not see why it would continue, but in another sense when thinking of the concept of energy of mind -- at least we need energy for the brain to function even if the energy is not mind itself -- there is the law of conservation of energy. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but transformed. A sea change into something rich and strange to go all Shakespeare. I don;t feel that I have good reason to believe that the pattern that make us us in a meaningful way continue after brain death. Some take it as a matter of faith,which can simply mean that I believe this despite having good or sufficient evidence to support my conviction. Or as described in the Bible, "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

And to go with more Shakespeare, "There are more things in heaven and Earth ... than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Sorry, I know that I haven't posed this as well as I could. With yet another mostly sleepless night, I do so wish that I could rest peacefully. Insomnia is a drag and I get it to the extreme. At least it gives me very long days and more time to waste.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:38
I have discussed this with you before, and yes, I do.  Shakespeare said so many things so perfectly, and even with the scientific knowledge we do have now, this (and more from his pen) still rings true.  I have certainly witnessed things that I cannot explain otherwise, so I will cast my vote firmly on the "yes," side.  Also, yes to the often laughable way that these things present themselves.

Edited by Snicolette - July 24 2020 at 08:39
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:05
I do not.  I would like to think that the heaven depicted in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey and other movies could exist, but realistically I don't believe that anything like that exists.  And I know that with that attitude after I die I will be reincarnated and come back as a dung beetle.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:08
I might even believe immortality, but never an afterlife. NEVER. I'm a strong materialist, and I'm 100% sure that if my material body is gone, I'll not experience anything after that.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:19
No, I don't believe there's life after ProgArchives, and on the subject of "resting in peace", I don't believe Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Richard Burton & Peter O'Toole are resting in peace, given their reputations for hell-raising during their boisterous and rambunctious lifetime's. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:25
I voted no but honestly I'm properly agnostic. Either I'll find out when it comes or I won't be there anymore to care that it doesn't. Quite comfortable really. We don't need opinions on everything, we can just say "let's see what comes (or not)".

I voted no anyway because the idea of an afterlife is just too tempting for humans to come up with regardless of whether it exists that I put a high probability on "this is just made up". 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:26
Why wasn't "possibly" a choice? I don't know anything as a fact, either way.

Edited by SteveG - July 24 2020 at 09:39
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:38
Yes, there is an afterlife....What you all fail to understand is that this currently IS your afterlife, we are living it now.
Totally makes sense....I voted YES.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:43
"I think that when you die your soul goes to a garage in Buffalo." -- George Carlin

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:44
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Why wasn't "possibly" a choice?
I don't anything as a fact, either way.

I wrote at the top of my OP

Quote I don't feel the need to include an "unsure" or "other" option, though I expect that some would like to have that option. I'm more [correcting a typo in my OP] interested in what people have to say than poll results anyway. Answering yes or no does not require certainty. I don't believe that I can be certain of anything, and I am ultimately agnostic on all matters, which does not mean that I don't believe or am not convinced when it comes to many things.

But I guess my thinking did not come across. Belief does not require certainty. I can't say for certain that there are no dinosaurs still living today, but I do not believe so (okay, that dinosaur issue might open another can of worms). My beliefs are subject to change as new evidence comes along.

It's the same with my rather soft (negative) atheism. I don't believe in a God, but that does not mean that I can say with certainty that there is no God by some metric. I am not convinced that there is a God. As said, I am ultimately agnostic on all matters even if I am suitably convinced when it comes to many things. Saying I don't believe something is not synonymous to me with saying that I don't know something, but maybe that is too fine an epistemological difference for some.

By the way there are many things I don't believe in that exist because I don't know of them, but that's a side-note.

A simpler, and less confusing way for some to think about this topic would be to ask "Are you convinced that there is an afterlife?" Yes, or no.

EDIT: As for "possibly". I'd be wary about believing that something is possible unless it is demonstrated that it is possible, or there is sufficient evidence to accept that something is possible.

Edited by Logan - July 24 2020 at 09:52
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:47
I'll know it when I will have passed away, so I'd say yea.

I cannot imagine I am no longer when my body stops performing its vital functions. Some things are too hard to believe.
By the way, why do all those who don't believe in an afterlife post RIP's in the RIP thread Confused? Someone who is no more does not rest either.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:48
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Why wasn't "possibly" a choice?
I don't anything as a fact, either way.

I wrote at the top of my OP

Quote I don't feel the need to include an "unsure" or "other" option, though I expect that some would like to have that option. I;m me interested in what people have to say than poll results anyway. Answering yes or no does not require certainty. I don't believe that I can be certain of anything, and I am ultimately agnostic on all matters, which does not mean that I don't believe or am not convinced when it comes to many things.

But I guess my thinking did not come across. Belief does not require certainty. I can't say for certain that there are no dinosaurs still living today, but I do not believe so (okay, that dinosaur issue might open another can of worms). My beliefs are subject to change as new evidence comes along.

It's the same with my rather soft (negative) atheism. I don't believe in a God, but that does not mean that I can say with certainty that there is no God by some metric. I am not convinced that there is a God. As said, I am ultimately agnostic on all matters even if I am suitably convinced when it comes to many things. Saying I don't believe something is not synonymous to me with saying that I don't know something, but maybe that is too fine an epistemological difference for some.

By the way there are many things I don't believe in that exist because I don't know of them, but that's a side-note.

A simpler, and less confusing way for some to think about this topic would be to ask "Are you convinced that there is an afterlife?" Yes, or no.
Ok then, perhaps I meant it rhetorically. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:54
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

By the way, why do all those who don't believe in an afterlife post RIP's in the RIP thread Confused? Someone who is no more does not rest either.

I use all the vocabulary and phrases I know whenever/wherever I see fit. Sometimes out of courtesy, sometimes for wishing condolences etc. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:56

I cannot imagine I am no longer when my body stops performing its vital functions. Some things are too hard to believe.

Great point and question....
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:09

Of course you won't know it if you cease to exist when you die. If you don't exist you cannot know.

Many things are hard to imagine, but a lack of imagination does not make it true. I can't imagine not existing as how I do I imagine that nothingness? If I try, then I'm observing it and so it's not nothing (I just imagine darkness, but darkness is a quality), but that's a side-point. Nether-the-less I feel comfortable rationally accepting the concept that I will cease to exist. Can you imagine not existing before you were born?

As for such platitudes as RIP, it's just used as an expression by many irregardless of belief or lack there-of. People employ such idioms. I'm sure to some it means that that person is no more as an entity. Death is often regarded as the deepest of slumbers, even if it's not sleep, in an analogous to sleep fashion. It relates again to what one can imagine. Imagining nothing, even the nothing of not having the imaginer to imagine it, would present a challenge.

I still say things like "Bless you", and even "God damn you!" at times despite being an atheist.

Such idioms persist long after we do, I would say, and we absorb such terms (inculcation, learned behaviors, ritualistic language).

Edited by Logan - July 24 2020 at 10:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:18
The real question is......If you have no evidence to prove otherwise, because nobody knows the answer, why do you chose to say No?
Fear....?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The real question is......If you have no evidence to prove otherwise, because nobody knows the answer, why do you chose to say No?
Fear....?

I say "no" because I'm an not convinced that there is an afterlife. As I said, it does not require certainty, and knowing something is not synonymous to me as believing something. What is the fear thing? I wish there were an afterlife, at least a nice one. I do not believe in fairies, is that fear, no? If we discover fairies then my belief will change. I believe that which I feel I have sufficient reason to believe. That doesn't mean that what I believe is is necessarily true, of course. My beliefs are subject to change as new evidence presents itself, and I am ignorant when it comes to most things. And as aside-note, though I thought this would be obvious from what I've said: Someone saying "No, I don't believe in the afterlife" does not necessitate that person to conclude "I believe that there is no afterlife". That presents a false equivalence fallacy.

Maybe you would expand on your thoughts to present an argument. Why would one assume that it's fear, or that that is the "real" question?

Edited by Logan - July 24 2020 at 10:42
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:27
Dead is dead, nothing after that.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:34
Yes, wholeheartedly
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Fear....?

I say "no" because I'm an not convinced that there is an afterlife. As I said, it does not require certainty, and knowing something is not synonymous to me as believing something. What is the fear thing? I wish there were an afterlife, at least a nice one. I do not believe in fairies, is that fear, no? If we discover fairies then my belief will change.

Maybe you would expand on your thoughts to present an argument. Why would one assume that it's fear, or that that is the "real" question?

Actually, the obverse seems more likely. The fear factor is a religious response to the afterlife. It's what drives people to repent at the hour of their death, because of a fear of a vengeful god sending them to hell for whatever particular sin they've committed. If one does not expect an afterlife based on a religious doctrine designed for neolithic shepherds and updated by medieval Ecclesiastics for the sole purpose of maintaining power and wealth, then there really is nothing to fear. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>