Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Poll Question: Hey Mister, sing me a story!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
1 [2.86%]
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time
    Posted: August 05 2020 at 18:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

]I knew it, I knew it.  I am invisible .......... 

Just because you're TCat doesn't make you the Cheshire Cat.

....but we have the same last name!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 17:31
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Mark Eitzel “If You Have to Ask”. I enjoyed that too much to see it without a vote.

Cool, thanks Greg. I've liked Eitzel since the American Music Club. Not my usual type of music at the time, but I saw them live late in the 80's and was impressed. 

There were a lot of really good nominations this round. Noticed that with the exception of Stevens, deceased singer songwriters  (Drake, Smith, Denver, Croce) did well in this poll. 

It's rather like the dead poets society.

The music lives on.

I definitely like the Mark Eitzel very much.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 15:48

]I knew it, I knew it.  I am invisible .......... 

Just because you're TCat doesn't make you the Cheshire Cat.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 15:26

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Not sure how many we are supposed to vote for but Drakes Fruit Tree is one of my all time favorites as well as his music in general...so  Fruit Tree.

You can vote for 3

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Not sure how many we are supposed to vote for but Drakes Fruit Tree is one of my all time favorites as well as his music in general...so  Fruit Tree.

choose three songs is the rule Smile

I knew it, I knew it.  I am invisible .......... 

you're not invisible, I meant no disrespect, just surprised dr wu did not know the 3 songs rule. 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 15:02

You can vote for 3

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I knew it, I knew it.  I am invisible .......... 

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 10:26

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 09:31

You can vote for 3

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 09:26
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 06:36

Mark Eitzel “If You Have to Ask”. I enjoyed that too much to see it without a vote.

Cool, thanks Greg. I've liked Eitzel since the American Music Club. Not my usual type of music at the time, but I saw them live late in the 80's and was impressed. 

There were a lot of really good nominations this round. Noticed that with the exception of Stevens, deceased singer songwriters  (Drake, Smith, Denver, Croce) did well in this poll. 
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 18:06
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

After listening through all of these tracks, I don't know that I really have a favorite.  Hard to find much in interest in the songs that aren't sung in English.  They sound good but what is the point in listening to songs that tell stories if you don't know what the stories are they are telling.  Any rate I will likely give  them another listen before coming back and voting.  In the meantime, I happened to be listening through my Mark Knopfler albums and feel as though he kind of fits in with a lot of these songs.  What do you think of a track like this one?  I thought it told a pretty good story and might be appreciated within the realms of this thread.

I think Mark Knopfler is generally considered a singer/songwriter...probably more in a popular vein because of Dire Straits, but this one fits well enough for me.  It's a good story, told well.

With lyrics in other languages, I listened and followed along with a translation.  I don't always do this, but in the category, I felt I had to know the story more than just the feeling behind the melody.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 13:41
Jim Croce is my favourite not listed by me, but since it's one I wanted to list but held back and is one of my all-time favourite songs, I will discount it based on knownness much as I don't want to (Nickie influenced me in that way). That said, it is the winner for me, other than "Fruit Tree". Luckily this is not a contest.

Here are three of my less known favourites:

Elliott Smith "Miss Misery". I actually had been checking out his music before, and had heard this song like once, but listening to again it really hit me.

Sufjan Stevens. Fairly familiar with him and was not that familiar with the song.

Note: I almost went with Jandek-- that being very intriguing and I plan to explore him more. Like with every poll, limiting it to three does feel somewhat like an exercise in futility. I always leave off various ones that I would like to vote for, but I bite the bullet.

By the way, I also enjoyed that Mark Knopfler one above very much, and love the car.

Edited by Logan - August 03 2020 at 13:43
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 12:41
After listening through all of these tracks, I don't know that I really have a favorite.  Hard to find much in interest in the songs that aren't sung in English.  They sound good but what is the point in listening to songs that tell stories if you don't know what the stories are they are telling.  Any rate I will likely give  them another listen before coming back and voting.  In the meantime, I happened to be listening through my Mark Knopfler albums and feel as though he kind of fits in with a lot of these songs.  What do you think of a track like this one?  I thought it told a pretty good story and might be appreciated within the realms of this thread.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 10:35
@Raff

Oh but in fact we are here to talk about the songs we share. It is not important the result.

I dont believe you have done a mistake choosing that song of De Gregori. 

I no longer remembered it and it was a nice state for me to listen to her again. Then, from the musical point of view, it doesn't exalt me, but this is a matter of taste. I like many De Gregori's other acoustic songs similar to La Casa di Hinde.

I'm sorry that my words were created so much sorrow. Maybe I should pay more attention to every single word.

I could also say I chose a "wrong" De Gregori song: I especially like Rumore di Niente for the final piece (a waltz), but apparently nobody loves it (perhaps because of the final waltz), preferring Fossati's Treno di Ferro. Not for this I have to take it bad. Your song has been chosen by Nickie and other two persons, instead mine only by you.

Anyway, with this round of poll we have strengthened to our friends / colleagues the beauty of listening to Guccini and we have done know two aspects of De Gregori.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - August 03 2020 at 10:52
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 08:44
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

This is a great batch of songs in this poll! Thanks to everyone making me discover some fine music.

My votes were almost all set until the latest nominations came in. But impossible not to vote for that one song: Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle - this one scotches me every time.
Secondly, I thought I would go for Francesco di Gregori's Rumore di niente and then came La casa di Hilde (not a mistake at all, Raff, to nominate it): a beautiful acoustic song and beautiful and original lyrics. It gets my second vote.
Then I struggled between John Denver and Richard Shindell. My parents listened to Denver back when I was a kid. So I always thought it was for old folks... what a mistake. A beautiful and powerful suite (actually 5 songs - 4 in the vid), but I decided that my third vote goes to Shindell's Wisteria (even if I preferred his Transit) - will buy his album!

Thanks again to all! Beer
  That is high praise indeed, I'm glad you enjoyed Richard Shindell so much.  Smile
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 08:33
This is a great batch of songs in this poll! Thanks to everyone making me discover some fine music.

My votes were almost all set until the latest nominations came in. But impossible not to vote for that one song: Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle - this one scotches me every time.
Secondly, I thought I would go for Francesco di Gregori's Rumore di niente and then came La casa di Hilde (not a mistake at all, Raff, to nominate it): a beautiful acoustic song and beautiful and original lyrics. It gets my second vote.
Then I struggled between John Denver and Richard Shindell. My parents listened to Denver back when I was a kid. So I always thought it was for old folks... what a mistake. A beautiful and powerful suite (actually 5 songs - 4 in the vid), but I decided that my third vote goes to Shindell's Wisteria (even if I preferred his Transit) - will buy his album!

Thanks again to all! Beer

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:27
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

OK, in my post of a few days ago I tried to convey the message that I was not feeling my best, and I'd rather sit this one out. After some of you contacted me, I caved in and chose one of the four tracks I had previously posted - the one that most conformed to the specification "primarily acoustic". It clearly was a mistake on my part. However, making me feel bad for choosing that particular song was uncalled for. We are not handing out any prizes here, and the Guccini song (as well as the album) will still be there for everyone to enjoy.

That being said, since it's clear that this place is no better than Facebook in terms of empathy and other such things, I'm out of here. I am going through a particularly bad patch these days, and need to avoid getting upset. As usual, even trying my best is never enough. Enjoy yourselves.
  Again, I am sorry that you have felt this way.  I do hope that you feel better in time, Raff.  I have valued your input and your contributions.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:21

Playlist with all the current nominees:

Updated for micky and Raff.

A special thank you to George for compiling this playlist of all of the nominees!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:13
I had the chance to hear the playlist a couple of times, although I couldn't fully listen to that Jandek song. It has a Syd Barrett vibe I really can't get into.
I ruled out Sufjan Stevens because I was already familiar with that song. I discovered him last year and from the few albums I heard, his discography seems indeed very interesting and diverse.

Here's my top 3:
Jim Croce "Time In A Bottle" - A very lovely wistful song. I love the warm tone of the harpsichord, it's so simple but fits nicely and really enhances the song.

Lluis Llachs "L'Estaca" - This performance made my blood boil even though I didn't understand the lyrics. It makes our revolutionary music sound even more docile in comparison.

Francesco De Gregori "La casa di Hilde" - I thought the simplicity of the composition and arrangements worked really well with the reminiscent and dreamy quality of the lyrics.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 05:17
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

OK, in my post of a few days ago I tried to convey the message that I was not feeling my best, and I'd rather sit this one out. After some of you contacted me, I caved in and chose one of the four tracks I had previously posted - the one that most conformed to the specification "primarily acoustic". It clearly was a mistake on my part. However, making me feel bad for choosing that particular song was uncalled for. We are not handing out any prizes here, and the Guccini song (as well as the album) will still be there for everyone to enjoy.

That being said, since it's clear that this place is no better than Facebook in terms of empathy and other such things, I'm out of here. I am going through a particularly bad patch these days, and need to avoid getting upset. As usual, even trying my best is never enough. Enjoy yourselves.

Sorry for having made you feel bad with my comment about Guccini... this was actually meant in a fun kind of way, surely not as a complaint. Not quite sure how it came over as that; to me it felt very innocent. Of course I'm grateful that you posted it, and was happy that you decided to take part again, nominating whatever you want to nominate (I kind of assumed that it is so obvious that I have no right no tell you what to nominate that no harm can be done making that comment).
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 04:49

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>