Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Poll Question: Hey Mister, sing me a story!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
1 [2.86%]
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll 14 ~ It's The Guys Turn This Time
    Posted: July 27 2020 at 11:33
Welcome to The Hart and the Hound Public House, where, along with food and libations, we serve up mostly acoustic sets performed by singer/songwriters.  Tonight it's the guys turn.  Stories of love and loss, angels and demons, true tales and mythologies, all the news that's fit to sing (thank you, Phil Ochs).  We ask that you keep any talking to a minimum during the sets, we're here to hear what these guys have to say, after all.  

Rules in this poll are that the nominees not be on PA, that they are males (the ladies will have their say another night, never fear) and that they are primarily acoustic in nature.  Other instrumentation is fine (even the occasional electric ones), what I am attempting to avoid are the one-off ballads that many hair and metal bands were obliged to add to their recordings.  They've gotten enough exposure.  Outside of that, any era is fine with me.  There is a rich tradition in this genre going both way back and up until today.

Serious, topical, comedy, novelty, all are welcome.  Please use YouTube if you can.  If the lyrics are in another language, we must refrain from translating them here.  We all know ways to figure out what the song is about, if we need to.  

I would like each of you to submit up to 3 nominations, you can decide later which is your choice to enter. Since most of these songs are not prog length, I think 3 is reasonable time-wise for most to ponder upon.  
I will remind you all on Thursday to start deciding which is your primary entrant and then on Saturday afternoon, finish the poll for you to begin voting. 

The first one up, drawn from the hat is:

From the year 2000, Richard Shindell with "Wisteria"  
Next, we welcome John Gorka presenting "I Saw A Stranger With Your Hair," from 1990  
In from Nashville via Seattle, please welcome Todd Snyder, playing "You Think You Know Somebody," released in 1994 

Edited by Snicolette - August 02 2020 at 08:00
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 11:50
So here are my three choices: Nick Drake's "Fruit Tree" (my nomination), Cat Stevens' "Trouble" (which I wish I could also nominate) and Serge Gainsbourg's "L'hôtel particulier". Yes I mentioned the Gainsbourg in another of these polls, but not as a nomination or one of my "official" alternates. I have included links to read lyrics and an excerpt (a stanza) from each (I think that's okay).

--------------------------------------------------------

Nick Drake - "Fruit Tree"

An obvious nomination for the poll. I find the lyrics so poignant, and it does seem prophetic considering Nick Drake's tragic story (such promise). This thoroughly resonates with me. The video has lyrics. Here is a link to the lyrics: http://www.nickdrake.com/fruit_tree_lyrics.html

An excerpt should be fine:

"Fame is but a fruit tree
So very unsound.
It can never flourish
‘til its stock is in the ground..."

-------------------------------------------------------

Cat Stevens - "Trouble"

"...Trouble
Oh trouble move from me
I have paid my debt
Now won't you leave me in my misery...."

"Trouble" is the other most obvious nomination. I adore this, I thought about something like "Father and Son", which I love, but "Trouble" resonates to the core, even more so because I love Harold & Maude and find the scene so moving. Link to the lyrics: CLICK HERE

-------------------------------------------------------

Serge, that existential French cat, Gainsbourg - "L'hôtel particulier"

"...Among these naked slaves carved in wood,
All silent witnesses to the scene,
While above us a mirror reflects our image,
Slowly I embrace Melody."

The video has lyrics in French and English, but here are the lyrics in English with a link at the the page to them en français: CLICK HERE / CLIQUEZ ICI

------------------------------------------------------

Leonard Cohen is one of the first I thought of -- he is a brilliant wordsmith and I fully expect him to be mentioned in the topic. I also thought of Jim Croce (how I love "Time in a Bottle"), and John Denver and Donovan were other considerations of mine, but I thought better not to go with three really big names in singer-songwriters with famous songs. Even if the Nick Drake song is too well-known to be considerable by some, it means too much to me not to nominate, and actually, I easily could say the same for Cat Stevens' "Trouble".

Love the idea for this poll. There are so many great songs and there are so many great artists to list and discuss. I've been very excited for this one. Thanks for doing this, Nickie.

Edited by Logan - July 27 2020 at 12:25
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 11:59
YVW Logan.  I am familiar with the first two of these, but I know not everyone will be.  Harold and Maude is 
one of my favourite films and I love Nick Drake.  Looking forward to hearing that existential cat guy's song.  Smile

All of the ones you mentioned would also be good, of course.  I'm glad you like the topic.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 12:11
Indeed, Nickie, I was excited for this one. Another I had considered was Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding", which had been sung by Robert Wyatt, but using the Costello sung version -- it has lyrics by Elvic Costello and music by Clive Langer, but three is a good number to nominate (not too onerous). A part two at some time would be nice as was mentioned elsewhere. I expect this to be a terrific round.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 12:12
Taking the glam metal acoustic jams out of my choices kind of leaves me High 'n Dry. Wink Does a fairly well-known local artist singing about a recently deceased other fairly well-know local artist count towards what you are looking for?

Edited by rushfan4 - July 27 2020 at 12:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 12:15
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Taking the glam metal acoustic jams out of my choices kind of leaves me High 'n Dry.  Does a fairly well-known local artist singing about a recently deceased other fairly well-know local artist count towards what you are looking for?
Video removed for space
  Of course!  This is in his ballpark of what he writes, as would be Springsteen for instance or Neil Young, they all three write enough of what I was after, as opposed to just one song per recording.  
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 12:42
As promised, I have chosen only Italian singer-songwriters - which obviously removes any issues of glam acoustic jamsWink. However, not all the songs I have selected are acoustic, though the electric component is not overwhelming. I am sure Lorenzo will approve of my choicesSmile. They are all old songs, released in the Seventies, and genuine classics of Italian singer-songwriter music ("cantautori"). As an added bonus, I have found a website that has both the original lyrics and the English translations, so you will be able to know what these people are singing about.

The first song is the only one that is completely acoustic, and comes from the debut album of Roman cantautore Francesco De Gregori:

The next one is by our old friend Francesco Guccini, from what is probably his "proggiest" albumLOL, Radici:

The third in line is from the debut album by Antonello Venditti, another Roman cantautore, and a close friend and collaborator of De Gregori:

Last but not least, a song by someone who is on PA under Prog-Related, the late, great Fabrizio De André, recorded with the earliest incarnation of PFM (I Quelli) as a backing band:

Interestingly, both the Guccini and the Venditti song feature Ares Tavolazzi (of Area fame) and Vince Tempera (Il Volo). These are the links to the lyrics; unfortunately, the Venditti lyrics are only in Italian, but they are short, and Google Translate is your friend Wink:

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 13:02
Here is my attempt at two more that I think fit what we are looking for.  One fairly well known, the other I think less so.

William Fitzsimmons - Pittsburgh

Tim Buckley - I Must Have Been Blind

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 13:22
Some selections from the 90s:

Mark Eitzel - If You Have to Ask

Ted Hawkins - Strange Conversation

E - Looking Out the Window with a Blue Hat On

E is Mark Oliver Everett, also the Eels from last week. Before he formed the Eels, he released a couple of albums under the name E. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:08
Nickie, that John Gorka video isn't available in my country. This one is:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

The next one is by our old friend Francesco Guccini, from what is probably his "proggiest" albumLOL, Radici:
It sounds like they just let a bunch of musicians have fun with it LOL

I couldn't pick a single Jorge Palma song, even with the acoustic set restriction, so I chose the only one translated on the website that was mentioned.

Curiously, I got into his music thanks to Pierre's (hellogoodbye) recommendation of his proggy debut on a RPI thread.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Nickie, that John Gorka video isn't available in my country. This one is:
  Thank you so much!  I see now that his original label was a subsidiary of Windham Hill.  Hope that doesn't scare anyone off, it's not a typical "Windham Hill" recording.

Edited by Snicolette - July 27 2020 at 14:24
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:02
I don't have that much that fits the bill...as somebody who isn't very interested in lyrics, I look elsewhere for music first. However there are some I love dearly. The first thing that comes to mind is Sufjan Stevens' Carrie and Lowell album. He has done very different things elsewhere but this album... I went through the tracks and literally every single one shouted "nominate me!" at me. So good. Ultimately I settle for the first one that came to my mind.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:11
And another one who can't do anything wrong for me:

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:33
Here's me cheating... I'd like to keep my third spot free for whatever still comes to mind, but here's one out of competition. I wanted to play you something German, a supreme live band from my hometown Hamburg. It's actually not 100% acoustic and a band rather than a singer/songwriter, but they are dominated by the singer and songwriter Jochen Distelmeyer, and pretty lyrics-heavy. Unfortunately I can't find an English translation of the lyrics; the German lyrics are easy to find. "Entries into the void, that's us - unrecognised and already forgotten. Entries into the void, tell me - who should miss us?"

Edited by Lewian - July 27 2020 at 16:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:35
Thoughts so far on the entries:

Logan:  Nick Drake “Fruit Tree”  I do know this and Nick Drake.  Wonderful writer and a very poignant entry, indeed.  Gorgeous undersated production.  Cat Stevens “Trouble”  As mentioned above, know this one (and love the film).  And ain’t it the truth?  I had the honour of meeting Bud Cort once at a bbq in Hollywood, he brought his Boston Terrier along.  He had a great sense of humour, and still looked like he was about 25 at most.  1988? So 40.  Babyface.  Serge Gainsbourg “L’hotel particulier”  Very sultry, as fits the subject matter.  I like the slidy strings when they come in, also fitting.

Scott:    Bob Seger “Glenn Song”  Very nice tribute song.  I hadn’t heard this, though of course I am familiar with Bob Seger.  Good selection!  William Fitzsimmons “Pittsburgh” Very pretty, spare recording.  Like the small embellishments where they happen.  Now Tim Buckley, I do know very well, one of my fave older singer/songwriters.  He is on PA, as a Prog Folk artist.  Great song and artist, gone too soon, just like his son.

Raff: Francesco De Gregori “La casa di Hilde”  Pretty, pretty song.  Love songs with bare bones like this.  If the translation I found was correct, what an intriguing story!  Francesco Guccini “Conzone Dei Dodici Mesi”  Like the repeating watery guitar notes, sounds like quite another story.  Oh, I love this the months of the year in song….Reminds me much of early Alan Stivell in production.  I love the harpsichord-y sound.  Also like the Tarot Card reference, and the months representing the aging of (hu)man as well. L’Orso Bruno “Antonelllo Venditti”  Very lush production here.  Interesting sort of seasonal song also.  Very moving with the swell of the strings and the vocals.  Fabrizio De Andre “Il Testamento di Tito”  This one is also straight-forward and bare boned.  A rather difficult life this person had, and has had to compromise, but has come to terms with it.  I am thinking also for listening pleasure, as he is also on PA for this one.

George:  Mark Eitzel “If You Have to Ask”  Nice production on this, good vocals.  I like the vignette he created with the cold winter imagery and the person walking away from him with the question not answered, and therefore, answered.  Ted Hawkins “Strange Conversation” LOVE his voice, tons of character.  Nice bluesy entry.  First one of this type in the poll.  E “Looking Out the Window with a Blue Hat On”  Good production here as well, with the strings swelling.  Goes well with the imagery of looking out that window, reflecting and feeling kind of sad (blue hat).

Meltdowner: Jorge Palma “Estrela Do Mar” Oooh, very pretty song of being enchanted by a pretty starfish lover.  First one going to a sort of mythological place.  Beautiful piano, too.  Like how it sometimes deliberately wobbles off, into kind of a starfish gait.  Also Jorge Palma “Ja chega de ilusoes”  I could see why this would grab your attention.  If that is him on the keys, I really enjoy his playing.  The electric dressing is OK, I think you were mainly using this to illustrate how you can to know him and it’s not a candidate?

Lewian: Sufjan Stevens “Should Have Known Better”  Oh, good, I’ve seen this name all over the place, but not heard any.  Now I know why.  Great whispery vocals, I love the plinky music behind it, lovely interplay of instrumentation.  Reminiscent of Iron and Wine a bit, to my ear.  Jose Gonzalez “Heartbeats” Nice doubled vocals, creating the voice as more of an instrument than just a single vocal.  Pretty, simple piece, I liked the video, also. 

I am noting that we already are having a very wide range of types of singer/songwriters.  Wonderful!  Do keep them coming. Clap

Edited by Snicolette - August 01 2020 at 18:21
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:41
far out...  looking great so far Nickie Beer.. no car crashes or train wrecks 

yet at least...  Pedro is out there lurking though...LOL

got a few in mind... all I'm sure you know.. let me hunt up some vids and I'll get to a posting..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:52
Nickie, concerning the song "Il testamento di Tito", I omitted to mention the album where it appears, and what it is about. The album's title is La buona novella (The Good News, i.e. the Gospel), and is based on the New Testament apocrypha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_buona_novella). The Tito who speaks in the song is the "good thief" who was crucified next to Jesus Christ; he explains the Ten Commandments from his point of view. In 2010, PFM (who toured extensively with De André in the late Seventies) re-recorded the album: https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28768
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:58
These are my nominations:

One of the best Italian songs
1) Francesco De Gregori: Rumore di Niente

Another wonderful song
2) Ivano Fossati: Treno di Ferro

3) John Hiatt: Have A Little Faith in Me

Which one do you prefer?

I will write the lyrics and the translation of the song selected.

EDIT: Thanks to Christian

Out of Competition (FEMALE!!!)

Carmen Consoli: Sentivo L'odore

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 27 2020 at 18:31
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:01
I said two nominations in poll 13, and Nickie said three. We're all hard of hearing, aren't we? I saw this coming, by the way (and obviously will contribute to it myself). LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:06
hah.. getting into it.. not choosing it... doesn't quite fit the theme IMO... but playing at extremely high decibel levels while I surf for some songs and videos I think would fit well

good GOD this this one raise the hair on my arms.. this is what music is all about IMO..

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>