Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magnification vs Time and a Word

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which Yes album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [52.94%]
14 [41.18%]
2 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnification vs Time and a Word
    Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:36
People seem to keep saying time and a word isn't so good because of the strings. Were the strings that much better on Magnification. Please say in the comments section which album you prefer but also on which album you think the strings work better on or maybe you like the strings more on Magnification but still think time and a word is better. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:41
The strings work better on Magnification, and I think it is a good late-period Yes album, but Time and a Word is a better album overall with several classic tracks on it that have stood the test of time reasonably well (although overshadowed by the albums to follow)
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:45
Yes, I like both of the albums in the poll equally, although The Ladder is on the top rung of Yes albums for me. Smile
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 15:14
Time and a Word.
Just couldn't ever get into Magnification, even though I know some really like it
Songs cast a light on you
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:51
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

The strings work better on Magnification, and I think it is a good late-period Yes album, but Time and a Word is a better album overall with several classic tracks on it that have stood the test of time reasonably well (although overshadowed by the albums to follow)
You took the words out of my mouth.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:04
easily Magnification for me.Big smile
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:09
Time & 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:16
It's Magnification for me
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:26
Yeah, I actually thought I had done this poll before but couldn't find it. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 22:22
It is a combination of things that make Magnification the better of the two: Better arrangements, better sound fidelity, and planning to use the string orchestra from the beginning. Most of Time and a Word works out okay, but there are places where the orchestration is either intrusive or sappy.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 00:26
Actually when it comes down to it neither are Prog Rock. Magnification is better because they got the orchestra right by getting a competent film composer who can score an orchestra.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 01:26
Magnification.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 02:07
I really like Magnification, but any after Relayer album can´t compete Time and a Word.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 10:41
Magnification very easily for me. Better songs and better orchestrations. I only wish Wakeman had been on board for this one too (though it's exactly the lack of a keyboard player that pushed them into doing the orchesta thing, as far as I remember).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 10:48
Time + Word as it actually got radio play.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 13:49
Time and a word. Fresh, varied, I really love it. Magnification is just good for me.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:09
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

You took the words out of my mouth.

Same As
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 00:17
Time and a Word by far, surprised to see Magnification (which I do like) getting so many votes. 
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 01:53
Magnification is my fav YES album that was released after 90125.  So this is easy for me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 03:43
Just for No Opportunity needed , No Experience necessary (btw great cover version by Morse, Portnoy and George on their recent covers album) but Time and A Word overall is an excellent album.  Magnification is nice enough but the last Yes album I really want to play is Talk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>