Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Three classic Renaissance vs Three classic Zappa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three classic Renaissance vs Three classic Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who had the better 3 album run?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [31.71%]
28 [68.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three classic Renaissance vs Three classic Zappa
    Posted: July 27 2020 at 18:27
1973-1975 for both bands. Who had the better three album run?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 18:37
Well, my dandruff is loose
And my breath is chartreuse
I know I ain't cute
And my voice is kaput
But that's alright, people
I'm just crazy enough to sing to you
Any old way
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 19:54
Two very different types os music, but all good to my ears. I voted Renaissance in the end, but I could have gone for Zappa as well. Very hard choice.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 22:15
I'm not a fan of Frank Zappa, but I'm a huge fan of Renaissance, so it's Renaissance all the way for me. Smile
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 22:24
As I have said before, I admire Uncle Frank's music more than I enjoy it. Renaissance gets my vote for all  the enjoyment I have received from their music. Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 00:24
Voted Renaissance but there's not much in it.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 00:57
ONSFA is my favorite Zappa record, but the other two bring it down for me. Wakka/Jawaka and Grand Wazoo ftw!

Renaissance; I just snagged a disc copy of Scheherazade FINALL.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 01:36
Hard choice. Went with Frank to even it out. However, it would have been a much quicker choice had any one of his live albums been listed. Just Another Band From LA, Roxy and Elsewhere, Live in NY, Make a Jazz Noise Here, The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life. All classics. And there's even more to hear on his You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore volumes, and all of his posthumous concert recordings. So much to explore between all the version differences, funny improvised schtick, listening for little riffs, themes, or motifs that would appear in later tracks. His catalogue is so vast. He's one of my favorite artists. Listen to the posthumous stuff, so many great nuggets. Or bootlegs on YouTube. He was best live, hence why some of his greatest albums are the live (or semi-live) ones.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 01:41
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

As I have said before, I admire Uncle Frank's music more than I enjoy it. Renaissance gets my vote for all  the enjoyment I have received from their music. 

Likewise.... and I think Frank has made better albums than a couple of those listed.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:58
Zappa
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 08:46
Renaissance gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 08:48
Chalk vs. Cheese. Chalk for me.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 09:12
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

As I have said before, I admire Uncle Frank's music more than I enjoy it. Renaissance gets my vote for all  the enjoyment I have received from their music. Ying Yang

Spot on. Zappa was a genius, but I didn't really enjoy a lot of what he did. Renaissance are wonderful up to Azure d'Or.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 09:14
Renaissance all the way. Love Zappa, but he can't beat those classic three albums.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 10:22
If there had been We´re Only In It..., Uncle Meat & Hot Rats, then it would have been Zappa, but now Renaissance.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 10:36
Renaissance, and I barely even know some of Zappa's music (just enough to know that I much prefer the music from Renaissance).
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 15:01
Wow, Frank is getting killed here. I'm a little surprised, I thought it would be closer.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 17:23
No

I leave for a few weeks and this is what happens?? My man Frank getting DESTROYED in a poll against Renaissance. I mean I know those three albums by them are very good but.. 

you know what, I can't 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 17:44
Zappa 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 03:31
Zappa ofc.
Renaissance is tame and boring for the most part... or maybe it's Haslam's voice that irks me... it's been years since I really gave them a chance; N-th chance, with N somewhere between 6 and 10 Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>