Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lack of universally loved prog artists in 2010s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lack of universally loved prog artists in 2010s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 06:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

If it's about lack of appreciation, I believe that most fans prefer new artists in the old school style psych rock and symphonic prog class asa opposed to many of the newer artists who are more in the Advant/RIO class. Look at the more popular artists like Porcupine/S. Wilson. Not much Avant/RIO in that form of prog. As opposed to a group like The Cardiacs.

Post Rock seems to have some mainstream appeal. For example, Sigur Rós was on an episode of The Simpsons.

I think that Sigur Ros may have been featured because they were so obscure, as Lisa always had eclectic musical tastes.

Their top album has 23,000 ratings on RYM, that's more than U2, Bruce Springsteen and comparable to The Beatles.
Yes, but how many albums did they actually sell compared to U2, Springsteen and The Beatles? Plus, I think you'll find that they are popular in countries like Japan and South Korea, where they are viewed as another rock band, not a prog band, supporting artists like Lord who, I'm told, is quite popular on South Park. Hmm...coincidental?

Courtesy of wikipedia

Ágætis byrjun was placed by Pitchfork at number 2 on their annual Best Albums list for 2000, and was placed at 8 on their top 200 albums of the 2000s, released on 2 October 2009.[17]

In December 2009, Rolling Stone ranked Ágætis byrjun the 29th best album of the 2000s.[18]

Ágætis byrjun peaked at No. 24 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart in January and as of 2008 it has sold 227,000 copies in the US, according to Nielsen SoundScan.[21] In Europe it was upgraded to Platinum by Impala award for 400,000+ copies sold up to 2012.[22]

Not bad at all for a prog band.

True, and I will yield to your contention that they are as big as U2, Springsteen and the Beatles. In Japan and South Korea. Oh, and Romania.

My contention is that they are not obscure (your words), 700,000 sales across the UK & USA means they are not obscure.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 07:55
I don't believe that they are a household name in the US and Canada, but they are certainly more popular than I thought they were.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 12:20
Certainly don't have 'household' recognition, they're not Taylor Swift or Garth Brooks (thank god)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 12:32

Certainly don't have 'household' recognition, they're not Taylor Swift or Garth Brooks (thank god)
Yes, anonymity does have it's advantages!  
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 23:26
Elephant 9 should be much more universally loved imo. Absolutely massive talent and released some great albums that recall the golden era of prog (but don't copy!) but no ones talk about them.

Wolf People is another band that given me great pleasure but barely get a mention around here.

Very strange indeed.

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 23:31
I do think 70s prog is unique, just like 60s/70s Xian Psych is unique.  There is nothing like it or close to it.  I go to classical music or my own or just explore when I want more good music.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 22:47
Indeed it seems a bit frustrating, for indeed it doesn't seem likely that much of these bands will make a lasting impact. Yet I myself have to confess that, even though I do have found some amount of prog music to love from the last decade, usually when I go back to the music I already know and love, I go back to the 70's bands, or else, to the 90's / 00's ones (mostly prog metal), but not so easily do I go for the newer ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123