Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lack of universally loved prog artists in 2010s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lack of universally loved prog artists in 2010s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lack of universally loved prog artists in 2010s
    Posted: July 28 2020 at 13:39
What I'm saying is in the 2000s there were sooo many new and different artists under prog umbrella:

The Mars Volta
Porcupine Tree (I know they started way before the 2000s, but still)
Oceansize
Beardfish
Riverside
Phideaux
Wobbler
Pure Reason Revolution
Coheed and Cambria
Kayo Dot
BTBAM
etc

and these days (or rather in the 2010s) it's only mostly djent?..

Or maybe with so many platforms to discuss music (i.e. prog) there's in fact little actual discussion going on, so instead of everybody raving about Deadwing or The Dark Third there are now these little groups of prog fans liking bands Bent Knee, iamthemorning or Thank You Scientist...and even bigger groups of prog fans not even knowing about these acts?

I mean sure, Haken, Leprous and Big Big Train are indisputable kings of the 2010s - y'all know them, right? But why only three bands when the 2000s had so much more universally loved stuff - new and different stuff - to enjoy? Or is it the prog community changing?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:04
In the 90's you had what I refer to as the big three: Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings and Spock's Beard. All of them carried on into the 2000's. If I were to add two more they might be Anglagard and Echolyn who both broke up but also reappeared later. Porcupine Tree had the most success out of these and even had(or have)a bit of a following outside of prog circles(the same can be said for The Mars Volta, Dream Theater and other fringe and prog metal bands). 

The bands you mentioned above(in the first post) are all fairly well known especially in the time frame you mentioned(2000's). I mention the 90's because that's the beginnings of the modern era in my opinion and without going too far back it's important to have some kind of historical context. 

What happens is bands get buried. New ones come out and the older ones are often forgotten even if they were at the time rather important(No I won't mention Mastermind from the 90's.Whoops.Tongue ). 

The big three I mentioned(TFK, SB & PT)were for a while arguably the most important of the post 70's era but I'm not sure that's still the case. It would depend on the specific kind of prog you are into. Fans of heavier stuff might say Riverside or Haken. However, in my mind not many bands really stand out. Big Big Train are one of the few that do at least from a symph prog perspective. 

I just did a search on here of non prog metal bands from 2010 and on with 500 or more ratings. A few that popped up were Comedy of Errors, Airbag and Iamthemorning. I believe all three are from after 2010 but I could be wrong. The others that popped up are definitely from earlier(Discipline, Beardfish, Wobbler, IQ, Pendragon, Spock's Beard,Echolyn, TFK, Transatlantic, etc). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 28 2020 at 14:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:18
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

What I'm saying is in the 2000s there were sooo many new and different artists under prog umbrella:

The Mars Volta
Porcupine Tree (I know they started way before the 2000s, but still)
Oceansize
Beardfish
Riverside
Phideaux
Wobbler
Pure Reason Revolution
Coheed and Cambria
Kayo Dot
BTBAM
etc

and these days (or rather in the 2010s) it's only mostly djent?..

Or maybe with so many platforms to discuss music (i.e. prog) there's in fact little actual discussion going on, so instead of everybody raving about Deadwing or The Dark Third there are now these little groups of prog fans liking bands Bent Knee, iamthemorning or Thank You Scientist...and even bigger groups of prog fans not even knowing about these acts?

I mean sure, Haken, Leprous and Big Big Train are indisputable kings of the 2010s - y'all know them, right? But why only three bands when the 2000s had so much more universally loved stuff - new and different stuff - to enjoy? Or is it the prog community changing?

I didn't really pay close attention to everything you were saying before so I want to address these things specifically. I actually think there are more than just three bands who are popular right now. The ones you mentioned count but there are others including a few I mentioned in my post above but also one you mentioned earlier and that is Pure Reason Revolution who's latest album might have put them back on the map. Also, what about Airbag and Iamthemorning. I'm sure there are others. Just do a search for bands with over 400 or over 500 ratings or whatever on here like I did. 

In my opinion there are just too many bands out now. Many of these bands are doing similar things. But the problem(if it is one)is that there are just too many cooks in the kitchen and so it's difficult to choose what to buy and what to listen to and what to focus on. Also, a lot of good bands get lost in the sauce and are supplanted by other bands who subsequently get supplanted and so on. It's like everyone remembers what teams make it to the superbowl or final four but all the others while still good get forgotten and buried in the excitement. So today only a few make it to the top but how long will that last? Who are the modern equivalents of Yes, King Crimson and Genesis or even TFK, PT and SB?  These days many of the modern bands don't really stand out because they are all more or less equal in terms of popularity with no band actually "winning" the popularity contest not even Thank You Scientist who probably have a good number of non prog fans(how else would they have an album making the top 100 pop charts?). In the end it all becomes a bit trivial in a way because what really matters in the long run is who is making good music. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 28 2020 at 14:20
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:20
clearly what the world needs now is a big new prog folk group
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:25
I've been saying this for months, the defining prog band of the 2010s are King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. They're pretty much universally loved in music circles and by everyone i've ever talked to who knows them. Progarchives as a whole for some reason has just totally brushed over them and i'll never understand why. If you want great and fresh modern progressive music look no further than them. Start with these three: Polygondwanaland (their most progressive and complex album, takes you to another planet), Nonagon Inifinity (a 42 minute nonstop blistering suite of awesome prog/psych music), and Flying Microtonal Banana (An album with a nasty dark middle eastern vibe album with micortonal instruments). They don't sound like classic prog and their sound is very rooted in psychedelic rock (They started a sort of neo-psych band) but as time has gone on they've really thrown their hat in many different rings and they've generally moved in a very proggy direction (polyrhythm galore!). They have an all acoustic folk album, a thrash/stoner metal album, they even have a jazz fusion album. However, with all these different styles they still have such a distinct sound no matter what they're playing. If you just want a couple songs to hear by them, check out Crumbling Castle and The River. But I highly recommend checking out those albums I listed, give em a couple listens and a real fair chance. They got something for everyone.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - July 28 2020 at 15:07
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:31
Not sure the bands you mentioned are universally loved. There is plenty of great music in the 2010's that isn't djent. I could list some, but those would be my tastes only. Search and find. 
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:37
An interesting phenomenon! Sounds like you've done your research, so I won't argue with you--though I was going to put out there bands like La Coscienza di Zeno, Unreal City, Logos, Syndone, and Homunculus Res (all from Italia), Seven Impale, Tusmørke, Cosmic Ground, Utopianisti, Karfagen, Modern-Rock Ensemble, and Phideaux--all of whom seem to generate a little enthusiasm around here. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:38
Universally loved? Have you seen the topics trending on this forum? Championing new bands is a lost cause in the "prog community", with the exception of a small group of forward-minded people.

A small personal anecdote to put things into perspective. Last year, in September, I saw King Crimson at the Warner Theatre in downtown DC. The venue was packed. I could not help wondering where all those people came from, when festivals count themselves very lucky if they can get 200 people, and most new prog bands (a few bigger names excepted) plays to "crowds" of 10-20 people on a good day. I spent quite a few years writing reviews to give exposure to these artists (many of whom I know personally), but then I had to realize I'd been fighting a losing battle.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:45
The only band I've listened to in the list at the top of the page are Porcupine Tree, but I'm also a fan of three modern renaissance era prog bands: Blackmore's Night, Magenta and Mostly Autumn. Thumbs Up
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:58
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I've been saying this for months, the defining prog band of the 2010s are King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. They're pretty much universally loved in music circles and by everyone i've ever talked to who knows them. Progarchives as a whole for some reason has just totally brushed over them and i'll never understand why. If you want great and fresh modern progressive music look no further than them. Start with these three: Polygondwanaland (their most progressive and complex album, takes you to another planet), Nonagon Inifinity (a 42 minute nonstop blistering suite of awesome prog/psych music), and Flying Microtonal Banana (An album with a nasty dark middle eastern vibe album with micortonal instruments). They don't sound like classic prog and their sound is very rooted in psychedelic rock (They started a sort of neo-psych band) but as time has gone on they've really thrown their hat in many different rings and they've generally moved in a very proggy direction (polyrhythm galore!). They have an all acoustic folk album, a thrash/stoner metal album, they even have a jazz fusion album. However, with all these different styles they still have such a distinct sound no matter what they're playing. If you just want a couple songs to hear by them, check out Crumbling Castle and The River. But I highly recommend checking out those albums I listed, give em a couple listens and a real fair chance.

They're pretty phenomenal, I loved this --

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 14:59
That was the song that got me into them ^ so awesome
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 15:05
It's like time traveling to different moments in popular culture.  They're the Tarantino of rock.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 15:10
Okay, replace "universally loved" with "universally known within prog community", my bad
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

An interesting phenomenon! Sounds like you've done your research

Thank you! I also love Seven Impale, but are they as well known in the prog community as say Beardfish were in the 2000s? Don't think so...
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I've been saying this for months, the defining prog band of the 2010s are King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
been listening to them since Nonagon, sorta agree with you - they're basically a meme band now, known for their ever-changing eclectic style, so in this case it's not solely about being prog anymore. They're just well-known to all music lovers now, outside of (any) genre, sorta like Radiohead (but of course not on the same level of popularity)
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I didn't really pay close attention to everything you were saying before so I want to address these things specifically.

hah thanks

I actually think there are more than just three bands who are popular right now... In my opinion there are just too many bands out now.

might be the case, yes

In the end it all becomes a bit trivial in a way because what really matters in the long run is who is making good music.

of course, but again, repeating my question from above - will Airbag or Caligula Horse be as highly/universally regarded now/in the future as PTree or The Mars Volta are now/were in the 2000s?..
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Have you seen the topics trending on this forum? Championing new bands is a lost cause in the "prog community", with the exception of a small group of forward-minded people
yeah, I definitely see it now

/thread, I guess
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 16:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The only band I've listened to in the list at the top of the page are Porcupine Tree, but I'm also a fan of three modern renaissance era prog bands: Blackmore's Night, Magenta and Mostly Autumn. Thumbs Up

Huge fan of all three. I'd add to the list of great new bands from the 2010s the great Yorkshire band This Winter Machine, whose second album A Tower of Clocks might be one of the albums of the decade, and Tiger Moth Tales, featuring the genius of Pete Jones.

Edited by Hercules - July 28 2020 at 16:47
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 17:51
Hopefully, my music partner and I will be on the list for the new decade... once we get some more members...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 18:15
^ Me and you bothWink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 18:31
King Gizzard and the Lizard were mentioned but are they really prog? They are here under psych/space rock. I should probably have a listen regardless. From what I remember it took them a while to get on this site because they were seen as too much of a fringe band but since there are other space rock bands on here(if that's what they are)then why not. I'm more into the Ozric Tentacles and Hawkwind kind of stuff but I'll try to keep an open mind and check them out.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 19:31
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Hi,

I really think that the difference is the lackadaisical and maniacal way that we review and discuss many of these bands in the board ... it might not be that big a deal, but it does "bring down" the ability and quality of the bands for many listeners.

In 2000, there were not as many "experts" in this board ... or anywhere else when it comes to "progressive music", but by 2010, the number of kis$ers for a top 5 and then top ten, has really hurt the appearance and the ability of many new bands to get a bit of understanding and appreciation ... and the same person that put it down, will show up on the next post about JT or Genesis! Or worse ... create yet another stupid poll of nothing about them!

The old days are fine, and they don't need any more kissing ... and we should know this by now, when we see the number of bands that made it from the 60's, the 70's, the 80's and so on ... but in general, the new things are rarely understood and appreciated ... we're just sentimental bitches!

Edited by moshkito - July 28 2020 at 19:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 07:01

I should probably have a listen regardless.

You definitely should - start with Nonagon Infinity or Polygondwanaland.

Good musicians never play their music thinking "oh it's a perfect space rock with hints of neo-psych and bubblegum pop!", they just play And this is exactly the case with the Gizz
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

but in general, the new things are rarely understood and appreciated ... we're just sentimental bitches!
true
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 07:23
I'm not sure what your point is. Smile  Great diversity results only in niche prog artists?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>