Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes: Heaven & Earth (2014)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes: Heaven & Earth (2014)
    Posted: July 30 2020 at 05:02
HEAVEN & EARTH: THE YES ALBUM to end all YES albums. HEAVEN & EARTH is the 21st YES studio album (if you don't include the ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE album) and is quite possibly the final YES album, after bassist Chris Squire gained the KEYS TO ASCENSION and sadly ascended THE LADDER to prog heaven back in 2015. There is now an asteroid in the heavens officially named 90125 in honour of Chris Squire's memory. The final HEAVEN & EARTH album has been the BIG GENERATOR of almost as much TALK and controversy over the years as the now legendary TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS album. In the constant RELAYER race of YES line-ups, HEAVEN & EARTH was the only album to feature Jon Davison on vocals, with a not dissimilar name and voice to Jon Anderson.  The regular YES line-up for this album consisted of a re-UNION of Chris Squire on bass, Steve Howe on guitar, Geoff Downes on keyboards and Alan White on drums. The recording of HEAVEN & EARTH was relatively trouble-free without the DRAMA surrounding earlier YES album recording sessions where FRAGILE egos were at stake and a MAGNIFICATION of  tensions were often CLOSE TO THE EDGE of boiling over. Although HEAVEN & EARTH might be regarded as something of a rotten TORMATO by a small minority of die-hard YES fans, TIME & A WORD has it that the album is really rather good if you OPEN YOUR EYES and ears and actually listen to it. HEAVEN & EARTH may not have been aimed at GOING FOR THE ONE spot at the top of the charts, but it still managed to reach No. 20 in the U.K albums chart. There are eight YESSONGS featured on the HEAVEN & EARTH album and I'll post the full album and individual song videos below before I FLY FROM HERE. Smile

All album titles in BLOCK CAPITAL highlights by YES

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 24 2020 at 08:44
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 07:52
YES: Heaven & Earth - Side One

1. Believe Again

2. The Game

3. Step Beyond

4. To Ascend

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 07:56
I know it has been not the most well received Yes album, but it is a nice, mild, feel good album for when you are in that mood.  I'm ok with it....sometimes Big smile

Edited by AEProgman - July 30 2020 at 07:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 08:02
YES: Heaven & Earth - Side Two

5. In a World of Our Own

6. Light of the Ages

7. It Was All We Knew

8. Subway Walls

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 08:12
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I know it has been not the most well received Yes album, but it is a nice, mild, feel good album for when you are in that mood.  I'm ok with it....sometimes Big smile

I listened to Heaven & Earth for the very first time today, and it's a good solid  StarStarStarStar  album for me, even by the high standards of Yes. It's also a very good album highpoint for Yes to end their long career on, and a fitting tribute to Chris Squire who's now up there somewhere in prog heaven with his Swiss Choir of angels.  Heart 
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 08:20
The best thing about it is the cover art (one of Roger Dean's best)

Not so sure about the music. It left me very underwhelmed.
Songs cast a light on you
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 08:31
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

The best thing about it is the cover art (one of Roger Dean's best)

Not so sure about the music. It left me very underwhelmed.

Heaven & Earth is definitely a better album for me than Tormato or Big Generator, and I even find it to be a lot more listenable than the classic Relayer album. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 30 2020 at 08:33
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 08:54
Heaven and Earth? Well according to the fan reception that album belongs in neither of those placesLOL
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 09:10
This is the only Yes studio album I've never bought and never heard. I've heard a track here and there but not the whole thing. Maybe I'll get it eventually but it's not a high priority(especially since it has such a lukewarm reputation).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 30 2020 at 09:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:01
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

This is the only Yes studio album I've never bought and never heard. I've heard a track here and there but not the whole thing. Maybe I'll get it eventually but it's not a high priority(especially since it has such a lukewarm reputation).

I'm hoping to improve Heaven & Earth's lukewarm reputation amongst Yes fans  by posting this thread. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:04
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Heaven and Earth? Well according to the fan reception that album belongs in neither of those placesLOL

Well, I'm a Yes fan and the album's received a good reception from me, especially bearing in mind I'd never heard the Heaven & Earth album before today. Smile
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:50
Oh, oh... Well, considering what I've said elsewhere, you know where I'm going...

Yes, together with King Crimson, is my most preferred band, until and including Magnification and the subsequent tour. Beyond that, I think Yes has become a Yes-tribute band. Their "original" studio outings these last 10 years sound very bleak in my ears and not original at all. This includes Heaven and Earth. It just doesn't touch me.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:52
Psychedelic Paul, you've really outdone yourself,
Weaving a tale about Heaven and Earth, Yes's 21st studio album. Chris Squire may be in Prog heaven, but the band Yes will live forever in the memory of its fans. Of which I am one. The three songs I like best, are number 5, World of Our Own, number 8, Subway Walls, and number 6, Light of the Ages. When I watch the videos Psychedelic Paul posted here, these were the thoughts I had when I watch them, using some of the lyrics from the songs. My using the lyrics in this way, is a mini tribute to Psychedelic Paul, and the way he uses album titles to weave a story about bands we all know and love. World of our Own is A NEW REVOLUTION in music. Bands today are under SO MUCH PRESSURE to come up with music that everyone loves. But the beautiful melody from World of our Own, creates a CRAZY WHIRLWIND of musical Joy in my ears. And when the music video is over I was HEADED FOR HEARTBREAK.
But then I was listening to Subway Walls. And seeing all that colorful graffiti, I knew this beautiful song and the enjoyment I was feeling listening to it was ALL A STATE OF MIND. And the band members from Yes, HOLD THE SECRET OF IT ALL when they wrote this song. The next song I listened to was Light of the Ages. A FAITHFUL POST-STAR to Prog Rock. When it said that SORROWS A DREAM, it was A BEACON SHINING into my heart. Because it IGNITES THE PATHWAY FOR US, to all the other wonderful songs from Yes. I WILL FOLLOW THE ALL KNOWING Prog Archives, because it holds the POWER TO TRANSCEND our listening experience, even though TRIALS ABOUND, we can HEED THE PRIMAL SOUND
A Prog Rock. (Parts of lyrics from the songs mentioned in block caps). Thank you Psychedelic Paul for enlightening us about music and giving us wonderful magically worded reviews about great prog albums. Your number one fan, FloydianPinkRose.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 13:20
Some time gone when I have listened this...anyway first album after Big Generator I listened right after it´s release (I even tried to order the first color vinyl version, but Finnish record shop didn´t have it). I think this is their weakest album after Union, but anyway as every Yes album, I like this one too.

Edited by Mortte - July 30 2020 at 13:22
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 13:49
Very well done introduction as usual! Bravo! Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 14:42
Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

Psychedelic Paul, you've really outdone yourself,
Weaving a tale about Heaven and Earth, Yes's 21st studio album. Chris Squire may be in Prog heaven, but the band Yes will live forever in the memory of its fans. Of which I am one. The three songs I like best, are number 5, World of Our Own, number 8, Subway Walls, and number 6, Light of the Ages. When I watch the videos Psychedelic Paul posted here, these were the thoughts I had when I watch them, using some of the lyrics from the songs. My using the lyrics in this way, is a mini tribute to Psychedelic Paul, and the way he uses album titles to weave a story about bands we all know and love. World of our Own is A NEW REVOLUTION in music. Bands today are under SO MUCH PRESSURE to come up with music that everyone loves. But the beautiful melody from World of our Own, creates a CRAZY WHIRLWIND of musical Joy in my ears. And when the music video is over I was HEADED FOR HEARTBREAK.
But then I was listening to Subway Walls. And seeing all that colorful graffiti, I knew this beautiful song and the enjoyment I was feeling listening to it was ALL A STATE OF MIND. And the band members from Yes, HOLD THE SECRET OF IT ALL when they wrote this song. The next song I listened to was Light of the Ages. A FAITHFUL POST-STAR to Prog Rock. When it said that SORROWS A DREAM, it was A BEACON SHINING into my heart. Because it IGNITES THE PATHWAY FOR US, to all the other wonderful songs from Yes. I WILL FOLLOW THE ALL KNOWING Prog Archives, because it holds the POWER TO TRANSCEND our listening experience, even though TRIALS ABOUND, we can HEED THE PRIMAL SOUND
A Prog Rock. (Parts of lyrics from the songs mentioned in block caps). Thank you Psychedelic Paul for enlightening us about music and giving us wonderful magically worded reviews about great prog albums. Your number one fan, FloydianPinkRose.
Wow! Thank You My Dear. You're so kind. You're as sweet as a Fragile Pink Rose and your warm heart is a Big Generator of love and affection. Heaven & Earth came together in glorious UNION on the day I met you. Your Yessongs lyrics tribute has outshone my Yes albums tribute and ascended The Ladder to gain the Keys to Ascension. You've weaved a Drama tale even more elaborate than the Tales from Topographic Oceans, and I'm not sure whether I could even come Close to the Edge of bettering it before I Fly from Here tonight. I promise I'll Talk later with you around  90125 while I'm eating my cheese and Tormato pizza for supper. Smile Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 30 2020 at 14:44
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 14:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Well, I'm a Yes fan and the album's received a good reception from me, especially bearing in mind I'd never heard the Heaven & Earth album before today.
Never heard the album. Have tons of current music on the agenda. When I finish them I may give this a listen. I have to say Paul, only you can create a thread about something you are unfamiliar with and get responses. Rock on, man.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 14:50
I definitely enjoy Heaven and Earth a lot more than expected. Sure, it doesn’t take off into the cosmos like ‘classic’ Yes, but it doesn’t need to. I like it more than many Yes albums post-Drama, in fact, this one, Magnification and Fly From Here (and the Keys volumes) are my favourites since Drama.
I pre-ordered the dbl Aqua blue vinyl and waited with great anticipation for its release / arrival. From the very first listen, I was not disappointed at all.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 30 2020 at 14:56
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:23

I'm hoping to improve Heaven & Earth's lukewarm reputation amongst Yes fans  by posting this thread. Smile

Sorry, you won’t. It excels itself in utter mediocrity.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:42
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Sorry, you won’t. It excels itself in utter mediocrity.
Oh well, I can't win them all. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>