Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Oldfield status in prog rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: How would you rate Oldfield's career and importance in prog rock?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [22.39%]
18 [26.87%]
15 [22.39%]
11 [16.42%]
7 [10.45%]
1 [1.49%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Oldfield status in prog rock
    Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:45
I'm fascinated with Mike and his music. It is my belief that, if he decided to call it quits after Ommadawn or Incantations, it would be enough to grant him legendary status and teach kids at school about his determination and talent (small hyperbole). I wonder how he's perceived in prog community, given that his later career had many ups and downs, but also proved he's a true artist, willing to expand and morph his style well into 1990s, or even later - depending on your opinion on ambient and classical detours.

Should we give him more credit? Does he belong with the likes of Fripp, Anderson(s), Zappa or Stolt?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:52
There's nothing I like better than to hear the Tubular Bells ringing at the Ommadawn of a new day on Hergest Ridge. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:59
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

There's nothing I like better than to hear the Tubular Bells ringing Five Miles Out at the Ommadawn of a new day on Hergest Ridge. Smile

LOL
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 01:22
Meh.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 01:32
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Meh.

How so?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 01:45
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Meh.

How so?

Other than the first ten or so minutes of Tubular Bells, I find Oldfield's music to be rather pedestrian. If it soothes your feelings, I said "meh", but I voted average. And that's about it. Nothing to get worked up about. What's he up to now, Tubular Bells XIV? Sequels. Meh.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:08

Meh.

How so?

Other than the first ten or so minutes of Tubular Bells, I find Oldfield's music to be rather pedestrian. If it soothes your feelings, I said "meh", but I voted average. And that's about it. Nothing to get worked up about. What's he up to now, Tubular Bells XIV? Sequels. Meh.

My feelings have nothing to do with it :) "Getting worked up about" - another misconception. I'm trying to have a discussion here, so just asked what are your reasons. No need to enter that patronising mode.
What about Ommadawn, don't you like it?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:35

Should we give him more credit? Does he belong with the likes of Fripp, Anderson(s), Zappa or Stolt?

Stolt?? Confused
Well, anyway, for Oldfield I'm between "great" and "superelite" - he has crafted his own style single-handedly, and has a very good number of really great albums. There's much to discover in his oeuvre. Even his habit of revisiting and redoing his classics is something special, although the non-totally obsessed Oldfield fan surely doesn't need many of these. Ultimately I think I go for "great" (although if Stolt is superelite, Oldfield is superduper-XXsize-elite); even apart from the remakes he has a certain strong repetitive element, let's say he has far more albums than he has good ideas for albums, and there is a very solid number of releases that totally pass me by (not that none of the so-called big 6 would be guilty of that).  

Edited by Lewian - July 31 2020 at 02:36
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:35
I'm not actually a huge fan of Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge or Ommadawn. Pleasant enough, but no more. I can't remember the last time I played one of them.
For me, his work really comes to life with the wonderful run of albums in the late 70s/early 80s. Albums like QE2 and Five Miles Out are regulars on my playlist.
But my verdict is that he is truly one of the superelite visionaries of prog.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:42

Meh.

It sounds like you're having a Crisis of confidence in the talented Mr Oldfield. Smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 03:19
I voted Good, but I've never personally been a huge fan. I like and respect the guys talent more than I appreciate his music, if I'm honest.

I'm not sure about influence on other prog artists - or other musicians generally - as he is fairly unique in what he does. It's not as dark and experimental as Tangerine Dream in the 70's, and not as minimalistic and ambient as Eno. There is 'higgledy piggledy' folk element to a fair amount of his music, which leaves me a bit cold, but credit where credit is due. Tubular Bells is quite remarkable when you consider his age at the time, the fact that he played everything on it and the fact that there was nothing else like it out there. I like the album, but it's not something I listen to much these days.

Overall, I prefer Ommadawn (especially part 1) and I like the coldness, and isolated feel of Hergest Ridge; you can really sense the artists desire to be left alone on that album!

One thing I will say, is that I always regarded him a very good lead guitar player, with a unique sound and style.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 03:36
Somewhere between great and superelite I would say, anyone who can record an album like TB on his own and get it into the charts must have some kind of mystical power. I haven't heard all his albums but I do like the early ones and, as Andy said, he's a great guitar player who has a distinctive style.

Prog musicians aren't generally well known to the general public but he is fairly well known and deserves a fair bit of kudos.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 03:52
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Stolt?? Confused
Stolt might be a bit of a stretch! But I wanted to throw in someone from 90s/00s.

Even his habit of revisiting and redoing his classics is something special, although the non-totally obsessed Oldfield fan surely doesn't need many of these.
I think The Millenium Bell was a mistake, but TB2 and TB3 are more than decent. It kinda looks like riding on his own coattails, but there is some pretty dope music on both, so he gets a pass.

there is a very solid number of releases that totally pass me by (not that none of the so-called big 6 would be guilty of that). 

That's why I wanted to get acquainted with all studio albums, to give them a fair chance and see if he really reached Big Generator / I Can't Dance / Catfish Rising / The Single Factor levels. And he did, on occasion, but most of his 80s/90s output I found interesting, if not spectacular.

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Overall, I prefer Ommadawn (especially part 1) and I like the coldness, and isolated feel of Hergest Ridge; you can really sense the artists desire to be left alone on that album!
I think Incantations also have that solitary quality at its core. It's a recurring theme in his catalogue, at least that's how I feel listening to parts of Five Miles Out, Crises, Islands, or Voyager (much later).

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

One thing I will say, is that I always regarded him a very good lead guitar player, with a unique sound and style.

He's a very good and versatile guitarist for sure Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 05:24

Stolt?? Confused
Stolt might be a bit of a stretch! But I wanted to throw in someone from 90s/00s.

I think, for all his flaws, if anyone more contemporary qualifies, it has to be Steven Wilson.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 05:44
Good. I appreciate many of his early albums but he's not my "go to" prog artist.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 06:18
I think he is great, but doesn't reach the Superelite status.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 06:24
He gets an "A" on my turntable.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 06:34
I voted super elite but objectively I think he is between great and super elite.
Agree with Hercules that he peaked in the early 1980s.  But he had great albums in every decade
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 06:35
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

He gets an "A" on my turntable.

The other side says "B"...

I'm going with Hercules regarding Mike Oldfield: I appreciate more his late 70s and 80s material (including Crises and Discovery, but especially Five Miles Out).
Don't see any use in rating his status, though.

PS But I do have a snippet of the yelling on TB2s Altered State as the ringtone of my phone. At least I recognize it's my phone when it rings (well, it actually yells, thus).

Edited by suitkees - July 31 2020 at 06:40

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 06:41
Smile its artist like him who I always return to, he's produced some mighty music that's for sure. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>