Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Underrated King Crimson Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Is there an unfairly unloved KC studio album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.00%]
8 [16.00%]
1 [2.00%]
14 [28.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.00%]
9 [18.00%]
1 [2.00%]
3 [6.00%]
2 [4.00%]
3 [6.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Underrated King Crimson Album
    Posted: August 03 2020 at 03:51
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Islands, easily. It is their best. All their other albums from the debut to Discipline, with the exception of ItWoP, are prone to overrating.

What is it about Islands that does it for you? I'll admit I'm a newcomer to the album, and despite being a jazz, freeform, and experimental lover - very little of the content on the record "clicked" with me. It felt disconnected in the wrong ways to me, but that's just opinion of course (it all is).

It is a matter of taste or opinion indeed and tastes tend to differ. For me, Islands is the only KC album of which I really like all the tracks. Other KC albums have tracks that are hard to get into, leave me cold or are just meh.

Totally cool! Oddly enough I feel Islands is the only one that isn't consistent enough for me. I'm willing to bet I'll be back in a year ranting and raving about how underrated it is, lol Cool.

Strangely Islands is one of my fave KC albums, partly on account of its consistency.

We all hear things differently.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 02:56
It has to be between Poseidon, Beat and The Power to Believe. I think I'll go with ITWOP.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 02:11
difficult choice

my first temptation was to choose Lizard, because plenty of people (casual fans on sites like RYM) dislike the "jazz thing" in there, but I thought that Poseidon might be it, but TBH, there is only half an album to be judged (the flipside), since the first side is a repeat of Court.

Certainly isn't Island (which I find over-rated >> it gets higher rating than Lizard and Poseidon on RYM).
SaBB is generally over-rated for what it is, IMHO

Beat is their worst (along with Contrukction) so it cannot be under-rated either.

so no vote
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 01:44
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ITWOP
when compared to the overrated debut Wink

I wonder what the reputation of those albums would be had the order of release been reversed.

Seems to me ''Court' would be the stronger album regardless, but would it be regarded as self-derivative, and 'Poseidon as' the great prog monolith?

Well I just reviewed it and rated it 3 stars while it's ratings in PA is 3.8. So to me it's overrated, not underrated. The two albums either side of it I would rate 5 stars. It's all upstairs between the ears. Different people see different things in the music. As much as I try I don't see ITWOP as one of their best albums.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 01:37
Islands.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 00:11
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

ITWOP

I wonder what the reputation of those albums would be had the order of release been reversed.

Seems to me ''Court' would be the stronger album regardless, but would it be regarded as self-derivative, and 'Poseidon as' the great prog monolith?

There are several parts on ITWoP that sound more or less identical to parts from ITCoTCK; so much so I had to check to make sure I had the correct disc in.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 23:28
I picked "Thrak."  Their Chicago concert was sublime...seeing the band singing "People" was spine-tingling!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 19:06
Islands or In the Wake of Poseidon. Criminally underrated records
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 04:52

ITWOP

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 04:39

Islands, easily. It is their best. All their other albums from the debut to Discipline, with the exception of ItWoP, are prone to overrating.

What is it about Islands that does it for you? I'll admit I'm a newcomer to the album, and despite being a jazz, freeform, and experimental lover - very little of the content on the record "clicked" with me. It felt disconnected in the wrong ways to me, but that's just opinion of course (it all is).

It is a matter of taste or opinion indeed and tastes tend to differ. For me, Islands is the only KC album of which I really like all the tracks. Other KC albums have tracks that are hard to get into, leave me cold or are just meh.

Totally cool! Oddly enough I feel Islands is the only one that isn't consistent enough for me. I'm willing to bet I'll be back in a year ranting and raving about how underrated it is, lol Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 04:27
ITWOP
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Islands or Starless......chose Islands.

Same here.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:21
Islands or Starless......chose Islands.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:15
It's either ItWoP, Islands or ToaPP and maybe, just maybe Starless.
I'll go with Poseidon.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 13:36

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'll have to think about this. It's certainly not the first one, LTIA or red or even discipline. 

So basically it's none of the red ones.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:24
I'll have to think about this. It's certainly not the first one, LTIA or red or even discipline. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:29
Most of the ratings are spot on in my book, some rated higher or lower than I would, but usually not by much. I voted Starless because it is perhaps my favorite, but Beat and Power to Believe are also similarly underrated. Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 10:29
Beat

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 10:09
Judging by the fact that it currently has a rating here of only 4.63, I'd say it's In The Court of the Crimson King...Wink
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>