Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [27.27%]
24 [54.55%]
8 [18.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epic Concept
    Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:25
I’ve been thinking about the two concept albums “Tales/Lamb” and wondering which one is the better one of the two albums and from a personal experience that as happened every single time I listen to the incredible masterpiece imho is Tales From Topography Oceans takes the vote here...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:30
The logical choice for me is I Like Both Equally.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:38
Lamb
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 00:20
I think a lot of the revilement for TFTO is unfair, but I still prefer The Lamb.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 00:23
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Paul That’s the personal choice I do enjoy both albums but Tales has a deep intertwining consciousness it’s one of a few albums that helped me through the grieving process by the death of my Dad so Its a unique album experience for me
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 01:05
On this one?

Both.

Very ambitious topics and executions of said topics IMHO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 01:32
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Paul That’s the personal choice I do enjoy both albums but Tales has a deep intertwining consciousness it’s one of a few albums that helped me through the grieving process by the death of my Dad so Its a unique album experience for me

Music was a great help when I lost my Dad too in 2015, and it still is, but I couldn't pinpoint any particular album that helped me through the grieving process. I was still really busy running my music website at that time back in 2015, so that was a welcome distraction to keep my mind occupied and stop me brooding too much.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 01:59
Lamb by at least 2 stars.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 03:52
The Lamb by some way, though even it is put into the shade by IQ's masterpiece Subterranea.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 03:59
I like both equally.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 04:32
I voted 'both equally'. I think they're equivalently flawed albums, both of them reached beyond their grasp.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 04:36
Lamb, by a landslide..
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 05:07
They are both overrated vanity projects that could do with some major pruning down to 1 album each.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 07:04
I like and enjoy both pratically the same. 
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 07:07
I like both but prefer Lamb.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 10:17
Topographic Oceans easily, despite it's flaws... the album attempts to musically convey the entire breadth of human knowledge, whereas The Lamb is just a weird story.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:39
 A difficult choice since I rate both as 5 star albums. I was tempted to go with the "both" option, which I often regard as a cop-out. Both options are sprawling obscure affairs. The Lamb is psychological in a mostly Jungian way with some elements of classic mythology. It also fits both Campbell's hero's journey structure and the structure of ancient classics such as Homer's Odyssey. TFTO is a mystical journey which also follows the structure of  ancient classics. It is more intuitive than analytical, and thus provides the ground for more personalized reflection, which appeals more to me right now. I voted TFTO.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:06
I like them both for different reasons but about the same. Neither is the best by either band imo. I think as a double I probably prefer the wall over both to be honest.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:28
Lamb , but don't really bother to listen to either these days.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 23:36
Tales for me, I have some sort of aversion towards The Lamb Lies Down in Broadway (even though there are a few songs within it that I do like a lot).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>