Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tourn.- Instrumentals #2

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these instrumentals could be the next prog breakthrough?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [8.33%]
2 [16.67%]
6 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [25.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Invitational Tourn.- Instrumentals #2
    Posted: August 01 2020 at 08:51
As I've mentioned in the previous polls in this tournament we are "The MAN" and we have the ability to bring music produced by prog bands to the masses.  Instrumentals aren't generally the most popular tunes on the radio, but once in a while one breaks through and finds a mainstream audience.  Instrumentals is where most prog bands shine so why not have one of these beauties be the next prog hit.  Which one these instrumentals do you think has the best shot at a mainstream audience?

Karmakanic members brings Bill Bruford's Earthworks to mine:

Beam me up an instrumental Scotty!

Focus on the beautiful guitar playing.

This group doesn't likes to Troot their own horn, so I'll Troot it for them:

Mmmm...cookies!

Close your eyes...sit back...and let these tunes create their ear worms and then vote for the one that you think has the best mainstream potential.

If you missed the first round of instrumentals and you want to check them out and vote, the poll can be found here:

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 09:22
Quite a selection. Spock's Beard and Tool (never liked them) aren't for me. But the others are awesome and it it's a tough decision. You're making me buy more music, Scott. Thanks??? LOL

Anyway I will pick Lalle Larsson Trio, closely followed by Jan Akkerman, then Dance Elena. 

Update... The Spock's Beard is growing on me. Still not the quality of the others. 

Here is another instrumental for your consideration.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - August 01 2020 at 09:36
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 09:41
You're welcome???  LOL  I like the MoonJune Records stable of musicians.  I have a few albums from Dewa Budjana, but not that one.  Nice to see Jordan Rudess and Marco Minnemann playing with him.  
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 09:46
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

You're welcome???  LOL  I like the MoonJune Records stable of musicians.  I have a few albums from Dewa Budjana, but not that one.  Nice to see Jordan Rudess and Marco Minnemann playing with him.  
It's a great album. Check it out. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:02
As written earlier, don't have enough time for most of your polls, but those I look at are all great. I can be very critical about voices and instrumentals always have a better chance I like them (why didn't Rush do more of them?).
Indeed this is another collection of great music. I like them all, but rank them 5) Spock's Beard 4) Troot (these are a bit too "prog by numbers" for me) 3) Lalle Larsson Trio (some great parts but not enough cohesion), so it's between Jan Akkerman and Tool, very very different stuff... I should have more Jan Akkerman really, always love his stuff, but will go on the mood of the day for Tool, who really surprised me here.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:35
"Chocolate Chip Trip."

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 14:28
I quite like that Lalle Larsson Trio track. Is the rest of the album in a similar vein? (albeit I assume with vocals)

I also like the Tool and SB track. But in terms of most likely for mainstream success, I have to go with Akkerman. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 14:46
The Lalle Larsson Trio album is all instrumentals, pretty much in a similar vein.  
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:01
My vote goes to Jan Akkerman.

Edited by Manuel - August 02 2020 at 06:02
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:39
So is mine.
The Lalle Larsson Trio vid is not available to my country (I couldn't find an alternative, but I listened to another track of them - that didn't convince me). Two nopes for Spock's Beard and Troot. Very much liked the Tool's chocolate chips but it sounds more like a galvanised drum solo. Hence, I think Jan Akkerman appeals most to a general public (and to me!).

Edited by suitkees - August 02 2020 at 07:25

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:41
I went with Tool, though to be perfectly honest none of the tracks really caught my attention.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 15:25
Voted for Akkerman. His tune seemed the most 'mainstream' to me.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 22:23
I love Spock's Beard but in this choice, Jan Akkerman easily.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 14:40
Akkerman looks as though he is Focused on winning this grouping.  Armageddon nervous that the others won’t catch him. 11 more days to listen and vote. :) 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 15:26
Spock's Beard - Armageddon Nervous
 Post Reply Post Reply