Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rush vs KC: Which is responsible for prog metal?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rush vs KC: Which is responsible for prog metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which is responsible for prog metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [27.27%]
32 [72.73%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 04:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'll have to think about this. There's no doubt that King Crimson had heavy moments with some that could be called metallish or proto metal but over all I'm not sure they were full on proto prog metal the way Rush was. There seemed to be too many different things going on in KC's music and Island and Lizard weren't really even heavy at all(at least not in the hard rock/metal sense) imo. If Uriah Heep was an option I might go for them but maybe the person who created this poll isn't familiar with them.
I am, good point.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:06
None of them. I think like Deep Purple or Uriah Heep created what is know these days as prog metal.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:28
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

For extreme prog metal, KC all the way, especially LTIA.

In general - I'd still say KC over Rush for prog metal.

I would also add Tool are King Crimson fanatics.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 09:36
neither. look no further than this:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 11:59
Well well, it's happened again. People always post this sort of thing when I try to stick to the big bands. From now, I shall move away from the tide of commerce... and explore the eternal depths of the unknown......
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:37
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Well well, it's happened again. People always post this sort of thing when I try to stick to the big bands. From now, I shall move away from the tide of commerce... and explore the eternal depths of the unknown......

Though I'm not sure it's a forerunner of prog-metal, High Tide's Sea Shanties is a wonderful album that deserves any prog fan's attention. It is not, however, as obscure as many other cult prog albums. The band's violinist, Simon House, was a member of Hawkwind from 1974 to 1978, and after that he played in David Bowie's band for a few years. He also played on one of my favourite albums, Japan's marvellous Tin Drum.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:38

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:43
If we start naming older bands especially oddball ones we might as well go back to Blue Cheer.....since High Tide is basically a stranger Brit version of them....at least to my ears.

And the OP clearly said Rush or KC...didn't see an other box.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:50
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

And the OP clearly said Rush or KC...didn't see an other box.
Exactly!!
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Though I'm not sure it's a forerunner of prog-metal, High Tide's Sea Shanties is a wonderful album that deserves any prog fan's attention.
Sounds nice...
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 13:00

It's been like that for years and years,the know it all's, you know. 

Question.Which day you like better of Friday or Saturday.?
Answer. Sunday.
LOLLOL
Shake & bake.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 13:46

I also agree with verslibre here - and I was also under the impression that this thread wasn't about who made heavy prog, but whom helped define it into what it would eventually become.

Maybe, but Crimson and Rush had almost nothing to do with what would become metal or progmetal--  in other words, prog metal had more to do with progressing metal than extending prog rock.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 14:39
yeah.. neither...  neither remotely metal...

it starts with being metal... which disqualifies the options.. popular bands more often name checked than anything ...and the usual suggestions like High Tide... which were heavy.. that is not the same as metal.

and if it an't them.. who was it that inspired it..  IMO that is mid 70's Judas Priest.. not heavy prog... not metal with occasional progish side detours.. but full blown prog metal as it would become recognized decade and more later.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 00:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

For extreme prog metal, KC all the way, especially LTIA.

In general - I'd still say KC over Rush for prog metal.

I would also add Tool are King Crimson fanatics.

I would agree! My girlfriend has been a tool fan for about 20 years now, and she's starting to hear what I'm talking about with the older KC records (slowly getting to her LOL).

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah.. neither...  neither remotely metal...

it starts with being metal... which disqualifies the options.. popular bands more often name checked than anything ...and the usual suggestions like High Tide... which were heavy.. that is not the same as metal.

and if it an't them.. who was it that inspired it..  IMO that is mid 70's Judas Priest.. not heavy prog... not metal with occasional progish side detours.. but full blown prog metal as it would become recognized decade and more later.

This brings up an interesting observation - is prog rock not prog rock unless it's intentionally prog? Can bands just be heavy, pre-metal, utilizing and displaying techniques said genre would eventually become known for, without committing to the (then fairly non-existent) label of metal?

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I also agree with verslibre here - and I was also under the impression that this thread wasn't about who made heavy prog, but whom helped define it into what it would eventually become.

Maybe, but Crimson and Rush had almost nothing to do with what would become metal or progmetal--  in other words, prog metal had more to do with progressing metal than extending prog rock.

I disagreed with a lot of what you said in one of your last posts, but I most certainly agree with how you've articulated what you've just said here.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 00:48
The way I see it, mid-80s is the starting point for Watchtower, Fates Warning, Queensryche, and then it just takes a while till we get "technical/progressive" metal bands, depending on your criteria, i.e. Coroner, Toxik, Mekong Delta, Realm, maybe Obliveon... only later Death, Meshuggah, Dream Theater and co. join the scene, but it was after Fall of Thrash Metal, say 1990/91 ish.

So I think some of these guys liked KC and Rush, but it's more likely they were big fans of Zep, Sabbath, Purple in the first place; then branching out to Judas Priest, Saxon, Venom or Mercyful Fate... it's pretty much the same story again and again for these bands. I see "progressive metal" as another genre of metal really, not prog rock offspring. And it's perfectly fine. Of course the most seasoned guys are prog rock afficionados too (Swano, Akerfeldt, Townsend etc.) so they definitely took something from KC and Rush.

Rush sound is more akin to prog metal maybe, with Lifeson's palette of colorful chords, tight rhythm section, hard riffs and honestly very straight, no-nonsense approach in most of their songs. KC did that and dozen other things, as you know it.

Speaking of Realm and early tech/prog stuff...

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 01:19
Neither are 'responsible' for prog metal, but both have had some influence on the sub genre's development, Rush more so IMO, as much of their music was guitar riff driven. KC was always more 'jazzy' and abstract.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 01:26
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

It's been like that for years and years,the know it all's, you know. 

Question.Which day you like better of Friday or Saturday.?
Answer. Sunday.
LOLLOL

the question obviously implied that one of these albums is responsible for prog metal. this is in my opinion not the case. however, the mere answer "neither" is somewhat unsatisfactory. so what else is there to do but offer an alternative?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 01:31

IMO that is mid 70's Judas Priest.. not heavy prog... not metal with occasional progish side detours.. but full blown prog metal as it would become recognized decade and more later.

Mick, if you really think Priest was making progressive metal in the mid(!!!)-Seventies, at least post the clip or drop the link!

Because nobody's going to believe you. (I know I don't!) LOL
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 01:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

IMO that is mid 70's Judas Priest.. not heavy prog... not metal with occasional progish side detours.. but full blown prog metal as it would become recognized decade and more later.

Mick, if you really think Priest was making progressive metal in the mid(!!!)-Seventies, at least post the clip or drop the link!

Because nobody's going to believe you. (I know I don't!) LOL

I rarely agree with Micky (musically), but he has a point there:

the exact distinction between "heavy prog" and "prog metal" has always escaped me, to be honest. my surmise would be the sound of the bass guitar and the electric guitar. prog metal's bass guitar often sounds somewhat metallic (it actually leaves an unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth, by the way; a case of synesthesia. I often experience tastes when listening to music, but since to most people it wouldn't make much sense to say "Rush taste like spinach" I usually refrain from it). the electric guitar is remarkably often played without distortion. but these differences are pretty vague, so I am by no means certain about them

Edited by BaldJean - August 03 2020 at 02:12

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 07:37
RRRRRUUUUUUSSSSSHHHHH is . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 08:07
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

RRRRRUUUUUUSSSSSHHHHH is . . .

yes? chard instead of spinach?

Edited by BaldJean - August 03 2020 at 08:09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>