Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rush vs KC: Which is responsible for prog metal?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rush vs KC: Which is responsible for prog metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which is responsible for prog metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [27.27%]
32 [72.73%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 08:18
Neither,  but out of these two IŽd pick Rush. Holding KC responsible for RIO/Avant would even make a bit more sense, methinks.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 10:00
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

IMO that is mid 70's Judas Priest.. not heavy prog... not metal with occasional progish side detours.. but full blown prog metal as it would become recognized decade and more later.

Mick, if you really think Priest was making progressive metal in the mid(!!!)-Seventies, at least post the clip or drop the link!

Because nobody's going to believe you. (I know I don't!) LOL

I rarely agree with Micky (musically), but he has a point there:

the exact distinction between "heavy prog" and "prog metal" has always escaped me, to be honest. my surmise would be the sound of the bass guitar and the electric guitar. prog metal's bass guitar often sounds somewhat metallic (it actually leaves an unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth, by the way; a case of synesthesia. I often experience tastes when listening to music, but since to most people it wouldn't make much sense to say "Rush taste like spinach" I usually refrain from it). the electric guitar is remarkably often played without distortion. but these differences are pretty vague, so I am by no means certain about them

Victim of Changes and Sinner do have a proto-prog metal quality.  If you really want like full blown prog metal, maybe that would be a band like Watchtower. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 10:11
Neither. With it's 18 minute long title song that encompasses "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman", extended distorted lead guitar solo, and a 5 minute long drum solo, Iron Butterfly was responsible for prog metal with their song "In-a Gadda-da Vidda" back in 1968.  

Edited by SteveG - August 03 2020 at 10:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 20:49
Both definitely contributed, but rush can be pretty heavy so Id say them.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 20:16
^ King Crimson can be very heavy indeed, too.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 00:46
Both of these were an inspiration for some metal acts (KC for Tool, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, and many more; Rush for Pocrupine Tree, DT again, Devin Townsend, and more, I am naming some common ones); However, both of them are not necessarily the first names that come up when thinking about bands responsible for metal. Should have had an option both.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 08:40
Prog metal is not a genre! Metal is simply part of the palette used by prog bands. Blimey, even Henry Cow has 'metal' moments!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 08:44
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Prog metal is not a genre! Metal is simply part of the palette used by prog bands. Blimey, even Henry Cow has 'metal' moments!

LOL

Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 14:48
I'd say that, comparing (let's say) Xanadu to Schizoid Man, it's both. But what made people talk about "Prog-Metal" (genre or whatever) were Rush 70's albums, mainly 2112 and A Farewell To Kings.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 15:06
I don't deny King Crimson's influence but over all I'm going to say Rush. Rush were also an influence on NWOBH(new wave of British heavy metal)and have been cited by metal bands as an influence(Kirk Hammet of Metallica and the members of Iron Maiden to name just a few). King Crimson were more or less(imo)accidentally metallish. They probably set out to be heavy but I don't think they were overtly influenced by Zeppelin or Sabbath nor did they set out to be metallish. I think Fripp just wanted to occasionally turn the distortion nob up and crank out some riffage. You could say that about other bands too such as UFO, Budgie, Mountain, Uriah Heep etc. However, with the possible exception of Uriah Heep(and I guess Black Sabbath)most heavy bands weren't trying to be prog (imo)or at least not many well known ones were. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 27 2021 at 15:09
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 16:09
none?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 22:41
With no "other" option, I would say Rush, given their more consistent overall heavy sound.
I won't go into paragraph after paragraph of how prog metal came to be, there's been enough of that here, but I suppose the simplest answer is just: Rush.

KC put too many ingredients into their big pot of music sauce, and metal/heavy rock was just the seasoning.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 22:59
Not to discount the fact that KC beat Rush to the punch and were arguably much heavier and or much more progressive than Rush but.... when you read about metal bands with prog tendencies and prog metal bands and they start listing their major influences, Rush always seems to come towards the top of the list. Maybe after Sabbath or Priest. KC were invaluable to the genre's birth, but it was Rush who inspired the most other people to continue developing the genre.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 23:02
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

I'd say that, comparing (let's say) Xanadu to Schizoid Man, it's both. But what made people talk about "Prog-Metal" (genre or whatever) were Rush 70's albums, mainly 2112 and A Farewell To Kings.

I'd say with the exception of the heavy bit in Cygnus X-1 that Hemispheres is more metal than AFTK.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 23:11

What about And Justice For All by Metallica, or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son by Iron Maiden, or Awake by Dream Theatre? Are all of those just prog bands dabbling in metal or is there something else going on?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 23:18
Interesting. A lot of posts in this thread seem to have taken the question as "who invented prog metal" but I took it as "who's most responsible for its spread/development/popularity?" As for who invented prog metal...yeah that would have to be Sabbath. They invented metal, they had prog bits to a number of their songs, I'm just not seeing the argument for anyone inventing it after them. Maybe someone codifying it...
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 23:45

Prog isn't a genre! it's simply an extension of the palette used by rock bands. Blimey, even Elton John has "prog" moments!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 23:47
I still say Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part 2 is THE quintessential proto-prog metal track. It has it all. It's 30 years ahead of all the bands that revived that sound and people assumed it was unique and brand new, like always, lol.

You can get away with almost anything once you're 30 years out from it; I had a LONG chat w a buddy about that yesterday.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 20:07
^ And many of their songs get much heavier in live versions. Say, Schizoid Man played by the Wetton era Crimson, or later versions, or Larks part 1 on the recen line-up... and those are just a pair of examples.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 23:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ And many of their songs get much heavier in live versions. Say, Schizoid Man played by the Wetton era Crimson, or later versions, or Larks part 1 on the recen line-up... and those are just a pair of examples.

Exactly. KC always managed to be heavy without getting locked into just one permutation OF it. Wetton's bass growls more than we realize.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>