Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Prog box sets are actually worthwhile?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Prog box sets are actually worthwhile?
    Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:49
So my question for everyone here is this: what prog (or even non-prog or prog adjacent artists) box sets are actually worthwhile and don't just contain a bunch of filler that you're either only going to listen to once, or just never touch (terrible quality live recordings, demos, a million bonus tracks). I own the Yes Steven Wilson Remix vinyl box set and that was definitely worth every penny. I'm interested in the Black Sabbath vinyl box set as well, but for this question box sets of any format are welcome.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:55
I suppose I shouldn't be talking about how "worth the money" something is considering I just stream everything. But I've been enjoying the SW remixes of the JT catalogue. There are many bonus tracks that are really enjoyable, particularly on the most recent ones (folk trio), and I think the remixes themselves are much better than the original mixes. Plus, a lot of live content. Minstrel had a really cool concert on it.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:32
Depends on how much you're into the band. This is probably my favorite box set ever.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:51
Supernatural Fairy Tales: The Progressive Rock Era

This one is a good one from an introduction to a variety of artists standpoint.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 14:58
Supernatural Fairy Tales is good if pretty much all you know is the most well known bands(Yes, PF, Genesis, ELP, etc)because it branches out a little bit beyond that. The main problem I have with it is that it's stuck in the 1970's timewarp and seems to think prog died in 76/77 which simply isn't true. This box set came out in 1996 I think and so they could sort of be forgiven considering that at that point the only people who knew prog was still going on were the hardcore fans who went looking for it(mostly online at that point). However, they could have at least threw Marillion in there but it's clear they only wanted to acknowledge the golden era. I bought it a few years after it was released but sold it online maybe a month later. Come to think of it it might have been the first thing(or one of the very first things)I sold online.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:05
The only ones I own are the original King Crimson box sets , the first  Genesis box, and Supernatural Fairy Tales. Having most of the studio albums and some of the added tracks cd's  by the others I never looked deeper into any other box sets.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:14
My best ones as follows:
Porcupine Tree~Anesthetize Live Tilburg
David Gilmour~Live Pompeii
Eric Clapton~Give Me Strength 74/75 Recordings
Eric Clapton~Crossroads
Marillion~Misplaced Childhood
Led Zeppelin~I

All are LP format

friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 00:37
The only one I own is the Bruce Dickinson discography on vinyl box. Would love to review those albums here as prog-related by the way.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 02:51
If you are into your vinyl then this one

Edited by richardh - August 02 2020 at 02:56
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 04:17
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:08
Like everything, some are worth your money and some aren’t.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:11
Not a perfect Box Set but a really good one with unreleased tracks and a great cross section of their career.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:24
Any of the Jethro Tull SW boxes are worthwhile, particularly Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung and A Passion Play.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 07:17
Personally I'd go for

Henry Cow
Tangerine Dream - In Search Of Hades
King Crimson - Great Deceiver
Gong - The Virgin Years
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 07:50
The 3-CD Mostly Autumn box set "Pass the Clock" is a must-have for me. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 02 2020 at 07:51
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 08:05
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Any of the Jethro Tull SW boxes are worthwhile, particularly Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung and A Passion Play.

Plus Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch!! Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 08:40
Hi,

If I had the money? ..... probably none! 

I'm finding too much re-hashing of the same thing! Specially where some bands have other material that would be much more interesting!

But no one will ever do a Bonzo Dog Band re-do of that bootleg ... which is much needed, although there is at least one bit that you will do on stage, but can not record on an album/CD ... copyright bullpucky!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:00
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Plus Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch!! Thumbs Up

Yeah that's what I was saying. The bonus tracks and live stuff off of those ones are great.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:22
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yeah that's what I was saying. The bonus tracks and live stuff off of those ones are great.

And please don't forget surround mixes of the albums (you can hear lots of "new" sounds lost in stereo mixes) and excellent nearly 100-page books. Thumbs Up
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:29
It depends on your bank account and level of fanhood. For big fans, a collection of rarities would be valuable but not for the more casual fan. For example, as a major Tull-Skull, I find Nightcap highly worthwhile - it has the entire Chateaux D'Saster tapes, which provides a foundation for both A Passion Play and War Child. It also has an entire discs worth of previously unreleased tracks. Sometimes the label discounts the value of such collections by putting unreleased rarities on new editions of individual albums. I am not so big on Queensryche, however, so a best of collection satisfies me. Value lies in what you are interested in, not the price of a collection.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>