Poll Question: Which is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [62.96%]
10 [37.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gnidrolog or Refugee
    Posted: August 05 2020 at 03:33
Two minor, short-lived prog bands that once had a fantastic potential. I always thought they are among the best when it comes to "lost gems". Which one do you like better, and why?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 03:41
LL
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 03:51
The Refugee album which has two excellent prog epics (Grand Canyon and Credo) and all three musicians are on top form throughout the album. They are one of the great "What if" groups in terms of what they might have gone on to record if Patrick Moraz hadn't been lured away to Yes.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 04:12
I've reviewed both of those albums and my vote goes to Refugee, which features none other than Patrick Moraz (of Yes & the Moody Blues) and Lee Jackson & Brian Davison, both ex-members of The Nice with Keith Emerson. Refugee was also a recent winner of one of my Prog Britannia polls. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 04:28
Tough call, I think I’ll vote Refugee here, but Moraz and the boys couldn’t beat Harry’s Toenail.
Oh, forgot to mention why.....
Moraz is an outstanding keyboardist, and Lee Jackson and Brian Davison were at the height of their talents. Credo and Grand Canyon don’t get enough attention.
Lady Lake is very good, but Harry’s Toenail is something special to me.

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 05 2020 at 06:43
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 05:57
Refugee---you can hear Moraz's "rockaphonic" sound---different than ELP--and hear what he brought to the table with Yes--changing their sound for one album.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 08:55
Refugee. Patrick Moraz is quite an accomplished keyboard player.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 09:06
Like them both....but I play the band Gnirdrolog more....bit more quirky and interesting for me... ,though Refugee is a great album.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 09:10
You've got an highly original band like Gnidrolog pitted against a would-be Nice/ELP clone, and guess what, the clone wins.  ConfusedShockedCry
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 14:10
Refugee, but Gnidrolog is close.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 00:12
I only know Refugee so can't vote but how many keyboard players could have stepped into the shoes of Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman and been so successful. I put Refugee right up there with the best of the best of symphonic keyboard based prog. A worthy rival to ELP's Brain Salad Surgery and Wakeman's Six Wives Of Henry VIII. So weird that none of these are in the PA Top 100. go figure...
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 00:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I only know Refugee so can't vote but how many keyboard players could have stepped into the shoes of Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman and been so successful. I put Refugee right up there with the best of the best of symphonic keyboard based prog. A worthy rival to ELP's Brain Salad Surgery and Wakeman's Six Wives Of Henry VIII. So weird that none of these are in the PA Top 100. go figure...

BSS is outside of TOP100 now? What?
Six Wives is fantastic, I love the album as much as Yes classics, well some of them!

I'll vote for Gnidrolog today, I had a bad night's sleep, it's my band today. If all went smooth, REFUGEE would get my vote prolly
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 07:21
Voted for Gnidrolog in spite of Patrick's virtuosity.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 10:55
Gnidrolog's Lady Lake for me, although I surely prefer In Spite of Harry's Toe-Nail (that album I love).

As to why, musically Lady Lake relates better to my tastes. I'm not a fan of ELP or The Nice (like some stuff and those appealed more when I was younger), and Refugee is too reminiscent of that for me. Both albums are on the Symphonic Prog side, and I generally don't favour symphonic prog, but the Gnidrolog is more eclectic and sounds more original, quirky (I like quirky), and adventurous to me.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 11:27
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

The Refugee album which has two excellent prog epics (Grand Canyon and Credo) and all three musicians are on top form throughout the album. They are one of the great "What if" groups in terms of what they might have gone on to record if Patrick Moraz hadn't been lured away to Yes.

Hi,

REFUGEE for me ... and my take at the time, was that PM had made a mistake replacing RW in YES ... but some will feel like it was second guessing, even at the time. On that one video on another thread on this board, you can see PM play CLOSE TO THE EDGE, and for my ears, I can see why PM was not kept with that band ... I don't think that PM did a good job on  some of the older material and this probably was a serious issue. I felt like some things were off-key and not right, and that he should have had more respect and played closer to the original, instead of trying to show his ability and wizardry. 

His solo album after YES is nice but, honestly? I have not heard a PM album that came close to the quality and work that REFUGEE put together ... even if he did seem to be fine with MOODY BLUES, who also did not retain him ... I have not seen any Moody Blues videos with PM ... to wonder how he sounded in that band on their older material ... but I can already imagine something similar to what I heard with YES.

GNIDROLOG, honestly, is fine ... although I have not given it a couple more listens to make a better judgement, but REFUGEE is an album that stands up for me quite a bit, and is excellent in every way.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 08:07
Gnidrolog - "Lady Lake"
 Post Reply Post Reply