Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [71.43%]
2 [28.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Art Zoyd's Häxan vs. Dungen's Häxan
    Posted: August 05 2020 at 17:57
Keeping it super simple. If you don't know both (and that would be most people), here are the last two tracks from each:

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 18:18
Dungen is better and IMO it's even generally hard to top.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 18:27
Dunno about better, I like both, but Art Zoyd's Häxan is one of my very favourite albums of the 90s. Out of curiosity, what's your favourite Art Zoyd album? I usually say Génération Sans Futur, but I love lots of Art Zoyd albums (my favourite RIO band and one of my very faves in PA). I like Dungen very much too.

Edited by Logan - August 05 2020 at 18:30
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 03:30
The Zoyd, no contest. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 03:40
I actually heard Dungen's Häxan a couple of hours before you created this poll. I skipped the last track this time though, I didn't want to wake up from the dream.
I never got that far into Art Zoyd's discography but I'll give it a listen.

By the way, did you see this live performance? I saw it dozens of times, I like it way more than the album version.

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 08:23
I absolutely ADORE both but had to vote for the stunning Art Zoyd version.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 09:59
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I actually heard Dungen's Häxan a couple of hours before you created this poll. I skipped the last track this time though, I didn't
want to wake up from the dream.

I never got that far into Art Zoyd's discography but I'll give it a listen.

By the way, did you see this live performance? I saw it dozens of times, I like it way more than the album version.

The live performance is new to me. I really enjoyed that. I knew other Dungen already, but I only discovered Dungen's Häxan (the album version) quite recently. With Dungen, Ta det lugnt (love that album) is the one that I have heard the most.

I would suspect that you would like quite a lot of Art Zoyd. If you haven't heard them, Le mariage du ciel et de l'enfer (1985) and Berlin (1987) are ones you might like very much. From the 90s. I love Art Zoyd's Faust and Häxan the most.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 10:08
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I absolutely ADORE both but had to vote for the stunning Art Zoyd version.

Always wonderful to hear from someone who knows and loves both.

I've loved that Art Zoyd album for many years now, but that Dungen is still quite new to me. Glad to hear from another who can appreciate that Art Zoyd.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 09:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The live performance is new to me. I really enjoyed that. I knew other Dungen already, but I only discovered Dungen's Häxan (the album version) quite recently. With Dungen, Ta det lugnt (love that album) is the one that I have heard the most.

I would suspect that you would like quite a lot of Art Zoyd. If you haven't heard them, Le mariage du ciel et de l'enfer (1985) and Berlin (1987) are ones you might like very much. From the 90s. I love Art Zoyd's Faust and Häxan the most.
I only have "Häxan" and "Akt Dit" in my collection. The later definitely became one of my favourites from the last decade.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm always reluctant to listen to late 80's albums because of the plastic production and synth sounds and while "Le Mariage..." has these elements, they are used conciously and with great taste Thumbs Up

Not related to this poll, but there's another video from that YT channel I'm quite sure you'll enjoy Wink

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 10:13
I'm always happy to hear music that will appeal, and you;re right, I really liked that. Thanks :D The opening and bits of it were reminding me of a piece of music, and it took me a while to remember what it was. This:

EDIT: Or maybe it reminded me of something else which reminded of that. Interesting how the brain associates, deconstructs and reconstructs...

Edited by Logan - August 07 2020 at 10:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 10:54
^ I can hear the resemblance, a similar melody with the same kind of instrument. Never heard of them, but I liked it very much. I'm not familiar with the 90's more alternative music but I'm sure I'm missing a lot of great bands.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 10:03
Last week I came across an original CD of Art Zoyd's Berlin. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for this poll :)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 10:48
I wasn't aware of the Dungen album and what is posted here sounds very promising. It doesn't quite reach Art Zoyd at first impression, but then that Art Zoyd album is "generally hard to top", as Hrychu wrote (about Dungen Wink) .
 Post Reply Post Reply