Drummers from the 2010s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drummers from the 2010s
    Posted: September 06 2020 at 17:11
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

The first drummer popped to mind is really one of the best I've ever heard and I can go on and on about what he's all about, Dan Mayo from the amazing and overlooked band Tatran.
Check out this track from their first album released in 2014, I love that the core of the song is his drums solo but there's also a lot more to it.

Excellent!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 12:26
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

The first drummer popped to mind is really one of the best I've ever heard and I can go on and on about what he's all about, Dan Mayo from the amazing and overlooked band Tatran.
Check out this track from their first album released in 2014, I love that the core of the song is his drums solo but there's also a lot more to it.

Amazing drum solo at 2:45 ! Three minutes of happyness ! Smile
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 01:03

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 00:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Not a single drummer that knows how to use his kit without over doing the snare drum! 

I still say ... I wanna rip that thing on a drummer's head and have him wear it as a nice piece of clothing!

Somewhere along the way, a drummer has to learn when not to count time and not use the snare drum ... only high schoolers live on with the snare because they are learning how to count ... but if you can't count without TELLING YOURSELF that this is 4 ... and then ... 4 ... and then ... 4 ... 

it's the difference between "music" and "mechanics". Sadly, there aren't enough teachers heling these folks past the mechanics!
Once again I have no idea what you're talking about...over doing the snare? it's like saying a guitar playing is over doing the high e string.
Yes there are technical drummers in the world and in a lot of cases it goes well with the music, and there are also tons of flowing, creative or whatever drummers out there.
You're always using the word "music" in a sense that you are the only one who really understands what's good and what is not around here, you're not. Get over it.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 02:05

Mladen Dragovic & The Yeqy - C the Light (LIVE @ Late Night with Ivan Ivanovic)

Mladen Dragovic - Element (Live In Belgrade, 2015)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 21:39
Hi,

Not a single drummer that knows how to use his kit without over doing the snare drum! 

I still say ... I wanna rip that thing on a drummer's head and have him wear it as a nice piece of clothing!

Somewhere along the way, a drummer has to learn when not to count time and not use the snare drum ... only high schoolers live on with the snare because they are learning how to count ... but if you can't count without TELLING YOURSELF that this is 4 ... and then ... 4 ... and then ... 4 ... 

it's the difference between "music" and "mechanics". Sadly, there aren't enough teachers heling these folks past the mechanics!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
esha9751 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esha9751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 14:25
Ben Shanbrom of Earthside must belong in this thread - to whom it may concern. 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2020 at 15:38
Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2020 at 13:17
Gavin Harrison !

Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2020 at 12:43
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Brann Dailor is the most important drummer the past two decades hes way of using the snare and hes developing of grooves is quite complex.
Hey ! I didn't knew him, what a wonderfull discovery ! Thanks a lot Wink

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2020 at 12:15
Hi,

Diagonal is very enjoyable and impressive.

Xavi Reija (in this piece) reminds me of a lot of the ECM styled things, and yeah, it is really good ... although I kinda thought that Tony Levin did not quite mesh as well here ... but was still nice to hear. Tony, for my ears, is more of a rock bass player than he is a jazz/spacey kind of player, although he has a pretty good ear for it ... but I think he often lacks the quietness in the playing of his bass, to add something to the music over all. Just a feeling and thought ... Tony is, of course one of the "masters" out there ... !!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 02:26
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Brann Dailor is the most important drummer the past two decades hes way of using the snare and hes developing of grooves is quite complex.

he is incredible instead
esha9751 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esha9751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 13:45
OP was only interested in ones, that debuted and made their primary input in 2010-19
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 13:02
Brann Dailor is the most important drummer the past two decades hes way of using the snare and hes developing of grooves is quite complex. Also Mario Duplantier is the most amazing drummer the past 15 to 20 years
esha9751 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esha9751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 07:20
I reckon few had heard (about) Raymond Hearne (Haken) before 2010 but of course the band's demo is from 2008, so I don't know if you want to count him in. Amazing drummer on stage holding it together and adding stuff to the studio editions while the rest of the band is just keeping up their parts...
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 01:57
Xavi Reija (feat. Tony Levin, Dusan Jevtovic, Markus Reuter) - "Serenity" (2018)

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 10:53
Pedro Nobre, drummer and leader of Loosense, who released their two albums in the last couple of years.

Edited by Meltdowner - August 13 2020 at 10:54
Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 09:02
Luke Foster, drummer and leader of british band DIAGONAL.

These Yellow Sands (of The second mecanism - 2011) :

Very good job which increases in crescendo.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by Muskrat Muskrat wrote:

Marco Dolfini, drummer/singer and leader of Italian Canterbury Band, Moogg.

YES! He definitely belongs on the list. And the bass player, Gianluca Avanzati, too!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 09:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Arguably John Douglas (Anathema) blossomed in the 2010's. Here he is with a track he wrote. This is just great as a piece of music perhaps rather than amazing drumming but please have a watch.

That was awesome! Love the guitar lead looped in the middle, love Lee's voice, and love the entrance/arrival of the orchestra at the two-thirds mark. (I get it:  Not really a drum display song.)
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>