Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drummers from the 2010s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 16:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I thought about mentioning this one before, but I had remembered that you know the band already. Daniele Di Giovanni of Homunculus Res.

Good drummer, but I guess it don't think of it so much as drums 'n bass on the whole even though it has bass.

Thanks, Greg! As much as I love the quirky music of HR, Daniele's great drumming has never been the kind that wow's me as much as the unpredictable rhythmic and signature changes that he builds into all of the band's compositions. It's like driving on a getaway scene on a motocycle through the streets and alleyways of a medićval city! (Like Palermo?!)
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 16:50
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Thanks! [/COLOR]

Some of these are possibilities, many are not. 

[COLOR=#990000]I definitely am looking for YOUNG drummers--yes, 30-ish, those who began making their mark in the 2010s.
Your OP did not make that clear. I'll give less effort in your future threads.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 16:53
For me the one who stands out beyond question is Kenny Grohowski. I absolutely cannot get enough of his playing.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 08:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Thanks! 

Some of these are possibilities, many are not. 

I definitely am looking for YOUNG drummers--yes, 30-ish, those who began making their mark in the 2010s.

Your OP did not make that clear. I'll give less effort in your future threads.

Your are RIGHT! Sorry 'bout that!

Edited by BrufordFreak - August 07 2020 at 08:39
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 08:44
My list of young drummers that I am now weeding through includes:

Matt Lynch (Nova Collective)

Jonathan Schang (District 97)

Gavin Wallace-Ailsworth (Bent Knee)

Jay(mie) Postones (TesseracT)

Philippe Haxaire (Unit Wail)

Shanti Colucci (Ingranaggi della Valle)

Stewart Marshall (The Fierce and The Dead)

Kenny Grohowski

Isaac Teel (Tauk)

Raymond Hearne (Haken)

Adam Marko (Special Providence)

Herbert Pirker (FAT)

Joe Fadem & Odin Alvarez (Thank You Scientist)

Verdant Marinko Komlen (Them Moose Rush)

Baard Kolstad (Leprous)

John Hargett (Unaka Prong)

Marco Dolfini (Moogg)

Matt Halpern (Periphery, et al.)

Thanks for all of your inputs!

* Bold Black indicates drummers who will definitely be on the final list.

Edited by BrufordFreak - August 10 2020 at 11:58
Drew Fisher
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 03:09
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Would you consider someone like Torstein Lofthus in Elephant9?  He was in The Shining in the 00's, and Elephant9 had their first album in 2008, but he is pretty good.

YouTube video "Drummer goes crazy"

he's more that pretty goodWink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 03:15
Arguably John Douglas (Anathema) blossomed in the 2010's. Here he is with a track he wrote. This is just great as a piece of music perhaps rather than amazing drumming but please have a watch.

Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 10:16
Marco Dolfini, drummer/singer and leader of Italian Canterbury Band, Moogg.

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 12:49
He isn't just a drummer but a drummer PRODUCER!! And Yussef Dayes has made a great album this year with guitarist Tom Misch.
"What Kinda Music" yes, that is the album's title.
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 13:18
Matt Halpern from Periphery is my favorite 2010's bloomer. He takes the technicality of extreme metal but still manages to work it into an infectious and accessible groove.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 15:44
I'm VERY impressed with these young fellows!  Gabriel Severn is a rising star on bass guitar, I connected him to Percy Jones (an old friend) and Percy wrote this to Gabriel via his mom, Vivian: 

Charles, please pass this on.          Hi Vivian, Your Son has a lot of talent, really good chops and intonation at such a young age. I was still working on my shoe laces at that age. I hope he keeps it up,  sooner or later he will inevitably start developing a style of his own, so that's going to be an  exciting experience.    Percy.

I also really enjoy this young drummer (Vinny Aguas) he has some great Brand X-style chops!!  Sorry, I don't think they have begun any serious recording efforts yet!  

Edited by cstack3 - August 09 2020 at 15:47
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 09:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Arguably John Douglas (Anathema) blossomed in the 2010's. Here he is with a track he wrote. This is just great as a piece of music perhaps rather than amazing drumming but please have a watch.

That was awesome! Love the guitar lead looped in the middle, love Lee's voice, and love the entrance/arrival of the orchestra at the two-thirds mark. (I get it:  Not really a drum display song.)
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by Muskrat Muskrat wrote:

Marco Dolfini, drummer/singer and leader of Italian Canterbury Band, Moogg.

YES! He definitely belongs on the list. And the bass player, Gianluca Avanzati, too!
Drew Fisher
Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 09:02
Luke Foster, drummer and leader of british band DIAGONAL.

These Yellow Sands (of The second mecanism - 2011) :

Very good job which increases in crescendo.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 10:53
Pedro Nobre, drummer and leader of Loosense, who released their two albums in the last couple of years.

Edited by Meltdowner - August 13 2020 at 10:54
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 01:57
Xavi Reija (feat. Tony Levin, Dusan Jevtovic, Markus Reuter) - "Serenity" (2018)

esha9751 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esha9751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 07:20
I reckon few had heard (about) Raymond Hearne (Haken) before 2010 but of course the band's demo is from 2008, so I don't know if you want to count him in. Amazing drummer on stage holding it together and adding stuff to the studio editions while the rest of the band is just keeping up their parts...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 13:02
Brann Dailor is the most important drummer the past two decades hes way of using the snare and hes developing of grooves is quite complex. Also Mario Duplantier is the most amazing drummer the past 15 to 20 years
esha9751 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esha9751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 13:45
OP was only interested in ones, that debuted and made their primary input in 2010-19
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 02:26
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Brann Dailor is the most important drummer the past two decades hes way of using the snare and hes developing of grooves is quite complex.

he is incredible instead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>