FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Tangerine Dream Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 7 Tangerine Dream Albums
    Posted: October 20 2022 at 08:21

My TD Top 7 from August 8th 2020 looks nothing like this now, having travelled a long tangential distance with Tangerine Dream since then. At the time when I posted this poll, I hadn't listened to any Tangerine Dream albums beyond the 1980's, little knowing that their best era (2000-2014) was still to come. Thumbs Up

1. Stratosfear (12 points)
2. Force Majeure (8 points)
3. Encore (6 points)
4. Logos (4 points)
5. White Eagle (3 points)
6. Tangram (2 points)
7. Ricochet (1 point)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 15:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Does anyone know why the album Particles is not in the database? I assume it's just an error as it's available to download on Bandcamp.

The 2016 Particles mini-album is listed right at the bottom of PA's Tangerine Dream page amongst the singles & EP's. Thumbs Up

thanks, although I assume that at 87.5 minutes long it's not technically an ep or mini-album but a 'fan club release'?

Particles is an official 2CD first issued by Eastgate and reissued a year later by Invisible Hands. Particles contains an original titled "4:00pm Session" (29:14), a rerecording of Rubycon (17:25), a cover of the Stranger Things theme, and five live tracks.

"We are now introducing the new series of Double Cupdiscs. A wonderful mixture of live and studio tracks will surprise your ears, the 4.00pm Session for example is a fully improvised track recorded at the famous (Dieter) Dierks Studios close to Cologne where Tangerine Dream recorded Alpha Centauri i.e. in former times. The Stranger Things - Main Theme cover has already made massive waves by diverse media stating Tangerine Dream's beautiful talent to refine music. [...] The second CD contains tracks which are completely recorded at the Schwingungen Festival in Windeck (Germany) in September 2016. Enjoy the sound of the new generation of Tangerine Dream. In eternal memory of Edgar Froese."

Edited by verslibre - September 20 2022 at 15:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 10:39

Does anyone know why the album Particles is not in the database? I assume it's just an error as it's available to download on Bandcamp.

The 2016 Particles mini-album is listed right at the bottom of PA's Tangerine Dream page amongst the singles & EP's. Thumbs Up

thanks, although I assume that at 87.5 minutes long it's not technically an ep or mini-album but a 'fan club release'?
You're right. It's a fan club release, so I'll try and remember to include it in my Tangerine Dream thread when I eventually reach the year 2017. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 09:23

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 10:11
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

*and if that ws the thing, I feel that Raum should have mirrored Zeit more convincingly.

It's a fine line between emulation and pastiche.

Yes some fail, others don't.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 10:01

*and if that ws the thing, I feel that Raum should have mirrored Zeit more convincingly.

It's a fine line between emulation and pastiche.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 09:31

It's obvious enough. I stand by it. Wink
Ys probably. But I understood it as the Zeit-Raum-link was postulated by the band* and not just implied or hinted at in the title*.

*a less binding up for interpretation listener/fan-bonus kind of thing

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 06:47

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 18 2022 at 06:52
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 10:08
It's obvious enough. I stand by it. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 08:36

-Modern day TD may superficially link Raum to Zeit all they want

I'm not sure if they do. That's the way I look at it.
Ok, to me it looked like you were stating their connection as a fact. I'll take back my Zeit-Raum comparison, which makes no sense anymore:)

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 02:09

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

you can add the album yourself 

Thanks, I may do but just wasn't sure if was omitted for a reason.

usually there is no reason, just an omission and considering the immense TD discography, I for one would not be surprised there are releases missing. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 02:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Thanks, I may do but just wasn't sure if was omitted for a reason.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 02:05

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 02:00
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2022 at 10:16

Fine, but musically I'm not convinced. Zeit has the feel of a total piece of work, created with a mindset that unified all four sides. Raum is based on several found sketches and compositions made over decades - which must be why it lacks a genuine "concept feel" and doesn't havee the same feel of a complete experience.

With Edgar gone, that would be impossible to achieve with Raum. Edgar has a credit on three tracks only; on the previous album Quantum Gate, Edgar's credit is absent from only one track.

Additionally, I wouldn't expect anything made now to match what TD accomplished in the '70s.

-Modern day TD may superficially link Raum to Zeit all they want

I'm not sure if they do. That's the way I look at it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 23:35

It's a double album: Zeit (Time) —> Raum (Space). They're fifty years apart.
Fine, but musically I'm not convinced. Zeit has the feel of a total piece of work, created with a mindset that unified all four sides. Raum is based on several found sketches and compositions made over decades - which must be why it lacks a genuine "concept feel" and doesn't havee the same feel of a complete experience.

-Modern day TD may superficially link Raum to Zeit all they want, I'd still argue it would be a better album with a bit of trimming. They might as well cut it down to the two "epic length" pieces and just one of the shorter ones, name it Beta Centauri - and pretend it was a continuation to Alpha Centauri - also fifty years apart.

Anyway, now I sound more negative than I rally am. I liked most of what I heard, In 256 Zeichen and the title track in particular.

It feels more retro than I anticipated (expected) and the music's very good, the best released in a while.

Yes indeed.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 19:32

It was mainly the sort of Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares-"journeys in sound" that interested me.

Don't miss Raum.
Not bad at all. Nothing like Mysterious Semblance... really, but that's ok. No one will ever replicate that sound or feel. But In 256 Zeichen and the title track were about as great as I dared to hope for. None of the five shorter were terrible, but I think there were too many of them. A 7/10, but something like this I'd give an 8/10

A
In 256 Zeichen 19:09
Along the Canal 5:31

B
You're Always on Time 8:10
Raum 14:54

It's a double album: Zeit (Time) —> Raum (Space). They're fifty years apart.

It feels more retro than I anticipated (expected) and the music's very good, the best released in a while.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2022 at 16:54
Meditation is a beast.....Froese should've picked the guitar up more often!  I wish they'd have kept this lineup and instrumentation for at least one or two more albums - groovy psych-space Krautrock of the first order.

Encore, Poland and Logos are excellent all outstanding live albums, but ever since I picked up Bootleg Box, Vol. 1, I haven't even looked at another TD album......the official releases are cut-and-paste TD shows - no knocking them, they're wonderful, but the Sheffield jam and the Croydon show from the Boot Box just lay out what the TD were putting down......eye opening stuff - highly recommended.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 03:16
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Wow, surprised at the lack of love for the first four albums - by far my favorite era of the band:

1.  Zeit
2.  Atem
3.  Stratosphere
4. Alpha Centauri 
5. Electronic Meditation
6.  Ricochet
7.  Rubycon

The same but with Encore instead of Electronic Meditation (at least today)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 01:18

It was mainly the sort of Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares-"journeys in sound" that interested me.

Don't miss Raum.
Not bad at all. Nothing like Mysterious Semblance... really, but that's ok. No one will ever replicate that sound or feel. But In 256 Zeichen and the title track were about as great as I dared to hope for. None of the five shorter were terrible, but I think there were too many of them. A 7/10, but something like this I'd give an 8/10

A
In 256 Zeichen 19:09
Along the Canal 5:31

B
You're Always on Time 8:10
Raum 14:54

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>