Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Tangerine Dream Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 00:40
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

1. Stratosfear (76 points)
2. Force Majeure (71 points)

Without a doubt, those ARE two of TD's best albums. The title tracks are extraordinary.

yep, it was their 'prog phase' from 1976-1979 including an actual human drummer on the Cyclone and Force Majeure albums. I would certainly expect them to poll higher on a prog site than other albums. For me the rest of Stratosfear is overshadowed by the title track while FM is let down by the slightly weak 3rd track Thru Metamorphic Rocks (not a fan of Krautrock which I assume this is meant to be) although the rest is amazing so it makes my list but a bit lower.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 03:08
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Without a doubt, those ARE two of TD's best albums. The title tracks are extraordinary.

yep, it was their 'prog phase' from 1976-1979 including an actual human drummer on the Cyclone and Force Majeure albums. I would certainly expect them to poll higher on a prog site than other albums. For me the rest of Stratosfear is overshadowed by the title track while FM is let down by the slightly weak 3rd track Thru Metamorphic Rocks (not a fan of Krautrock which I assume this is meant to be) although the rest is amazing so it makes my list but a bit lower.

Doesn't Ricochet (75) also has real drums?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 05:34
Chris Franke originally was a drummer and percussionist, not only on Ricochet, although they didn't use it that often.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:55

Basically I like everything from 74-77 equally, and each of those albums rank amongst my favorites ever.

I've put the recently released Oedipus from 1974 on top, it's a double-album that brings out the best of that period, combining dark atmospheric Atem style drones with entrancing sequenced parts. Several bits were later re-used on Rubycon and Encore's Desert Dream.

1. Oedipus Tyrannus
2. Encore
3. Ricochet
4. Phaedra
5. Rubycon
6. Stratosfear
7. The complete 1980 Palast der Republik concert from The Official Bootlet Series Volume Two
8. Cyclone
9. Poland
10.Atem
11.Exit
12.Force Majeure
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:23

Green Desert has real drums and it's not placing. Stratosfear ranks high because it's in the Phaedra ~ Rubycon ~ Ricochet ~ Stratosfear sweet spot. 

"Stratosfear" is such an incredible piece of work, that it may seem like the other three comps linger in the background, but for me all four comprise one grand excursion, and the title track is the overture. I love it because they made something so different from Phaedra and Rubycon whereas they could have just let the sequencers fly and gone for afternoon tea. There are many non-electronic or keyboard instruments on Stratosfear, like bass guitar, harpsichord, harmonica and 12-string guitar ("The Big Sleep..."). It all sounds so eerie, phantasmal.

My two favorite studio albums (not getting into live or film scores) are Stratosfear and Exit.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:24
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Basically I like everything from 74-77 equally, and each of those albums rank amongst my favorites ever.

I've put the recently released Oedipus from 1974 on top, it's a double-album that brings out the best of that period, combining dark atmospheric Atem style drones with entrancing sequenced parts. Several bits were later re-used on Rubycon and Encore's Desert Dream.

1. Oedipus Tyrannus
2. Encore
3. Ricochet
4. Phaedra
5. Rubycon
6. Stratosfear
7. The complete 1980 Palast der Republik concert from The Official Bootlet Series Volume Two
8. Cyclone
9. Poland
10.Atem
11.Exit
12.Force Majeure

Absolutely fantastic that we have that. My single favorite concert from the Official Bootleg Series.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:27
^ That's the first time I've heard of the Oedipus Tyrannus album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 11:41

^ That's the first time I've heard of the Oedipus Tyrannus album.

It's available for the first time in the In Search of Hades box set.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 14:51
Ricochet
Alpha Centauri
Force Majeure
Zeit
Electronics Meditations
Stratosfear
Atem

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 01:12
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

possibly but to my ears only Cyclone and Force Majeure have proper rock drumming on them which adds another quality. Ricochet is very important though as it pulled together 2 separate eras of TD with the ambient and the prog mixing very well. That said my favourite era of TD is easily 1980-1986.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 01:29
Top 7 update with Bonnek & Sean Trane's votes added:-

1. Ricochet (81 points)
2. Stratosfear (80 points)
3. Force Majeure (77 points)
4. Rubycon (64 points)
5. Phaedra (55 points)
6. Zeit (44 points)
7. Tangram (34 points)

8. Alpha Centauri (25 points)
9. Cyclone (20 points)
9. Exit (20 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 24 2020 at 01:29
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 02:32

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

possibly but to my ears only Cyclone and Force Majeure have proper rock drumming on them which adds another quality. Ricochet is very important though as it pulled together 2 separate eras of TD with the ambient and the prog mixing very well. That said my favourite era of TD is easily 1980-1986.

Listen to Ricochet between 5:00 and 10:00 and the great use of tom drums (no snare or cymbals) - and there is a similar passage on the flipside.

Edited by Sean Trane - September 24 2020 at 02:33
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 07:00
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Chris Franke originally was a drummer and percussionist, not only on Ricochet, although they didn't use it that often.

Hi,

I would think that if Chris played drums in RICOCHET that they were on tape ... not live. It would be impossible for him to do any kind of drumming considering the incredible complexity of all the machinery that he was in charge of and was able to get them to work every day they played!

Read the book (EF's) on this ... to get a better idea!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 09:50
The drums on Ricochet were added in the studio. Chris Franke never played live drums with Tangerine Dream.
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 14:59
1.  Rubycon
2.  Exit
3.  Phaedra
4.  Logos
5.  Stratosfear
6.  Thief
7.  Force Majeure

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 15:37
Top 7 update with ProfPanglos' votes added:-

1. Stratosfear (83 points)
2. Ricochet (81 points)
3. Force Majeure (78 points)
4. Rubycon (76 points)
5. Phaedra (61 points)
6. Zeit (44 points)
7. Tangram (34 points)

8. Exit (28 points)
9. Alpha Centauri (25 points)
10. Cyclone (20 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 01 2020 at 15:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2022 at 00:53
I'll have to give Alpha Centauri and Zeit another listen, bearing in mind both albums made it into the final Top 10 line-up, against my expectations. Embarrassed
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2022 at 09:02
Pity that's there seems to be no love for 'modern' Tangerine Dream releases, the best I believe are listed below

The Seven Letters From Tibet
Purgatorio ( I put this No 1 on my list!)
Views From A Red Train (in my top 7 as well)
The Island Of The Fay
Finnegan's Wake
Quantum Gate
Particles (although this appears to be absent from the PA database for some reason)

I would include Kyoto but that was recorded in the early 80's although released later.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2022 at 09:23

Pity that's there seems to be no love for 'modern' Tangerine Dream releases, the best I believe are listed below

The Seven Letters From Tibet
Purgatorio ( I put this No 1 on my list!)
Views From A Red Train (in my top 7 as well)
The Island Of The Fay
Finnegan's Wake
Quantum Gate
Particles (although this appears to be absent from the PA database for some reason)

I would include Kyoto but that was recorded in the early 80's although released later.
It's most likely because not many TD fans have heard those seven more recent albums listed, including me.  Embarrassed

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 10 2022 at 09:24
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 19:13
Electronic Meditation
Atem
Encore
Phaedra
Rubycon
Force Majeur
Pergamon-Live at the "Palast Der Republik" GDR tied with Sorcerer. Sorry try as I might I can't pick one over the other.
According to Planet Mellotron their most mellotron laden album is Encore followed by in no particular order Atem, Phaedra and Sorcerer.
Electronic Meditation is one of my top 40 Krautrock albums. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>