Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Oldfield's Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Oldfield's Albums
    Posted: August 08 2020 at 16:02
Have you ever wondered what it would be like hear the sound of the Tubular Bells chiming at sunrise on top of Hergest Ridge at the Ommadawn of a new day? Looking out to sea from the top of the ridge, you'd be able to see the sun casting its delicate Incantations of light across a calm Platinum silver sea. In the distance, you might be lucky enough to see the QE2 sailing Five Miles Out from Southampton, where the lucky passengers are temporarily escaping the world's Crises by  embarking on a voyage of Discovery to exotic tropical Islands. A voyage aboard a luxury cruise liner promises to be an Earth Moving experience of a lifetime, where you could sail to the exotic island of Amarok in Indonesia, or witness a tropical monsoon when the Heavens Open over Java. It's almost as exotic as the astronauts who journeyed to the Moon aboard gleaming silver rockets, which glinted in the Sun like Tubular Bells II of stainless steel. As the space travellers journeyed into orbit around the Moon, they'd hear The Songs of Distant Earth aboard their Voyager spacecraft. Maybe they'd listen to Tubular Bells III and the distinctive sound of Mike Oldfield's Guitars, whilst the tolling of The Millennium Bell on the album announces the beginning of a new century. The Tres Lunas (or three lunar astronauts) would be travelling between Light + Shade as their spacecraft orbits the Moon, where the Music of the Spheres can be heard across space and time. Maybe one day in the not too distant future, a spacecraft will land a Man on the Rocks of Mars, before the long journey home and a welcome Return to Ommadawn here on Earth. Smile

All Mike Oldfield album titles in Blue Highlights and in chronological sequence.

Mike Oldfield's Albums

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 16 2021 at 11:13
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 16:08
How it all began......

Tubular Bells - The Mike Oldfield Story

Tubular Bells (1973)

Tubular Bells - Live at the BBC 1973

Fadalack - Tubular Bells Live, Part 1

Fadalack - Tubular Bells Live, Part 2

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 10 2020 at 15:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 01:07
Hergest Ridge (1974) - The name of the ridge on the English-Welsh border which Mike Oldfield retreated to following the release of the Tubular Bells album.

Part One

Part Two

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 01:42
Ommadawn (1975) - The Mike Oldfield album that was ranked as the clear favourite amongst ProgArchives members in a recent Top 7 albums poll. Smile

Fadalack - A perfect Live rendition of Ommadawn, Part  1 Heart

Fadalack - Ommadawn, Part 2

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 10 2020 at 14:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 07:28
Incantations - Parts 1, 2, 3 & 4 (1978) - Sorry about the album being cut off in its prime just before the end. Confused

Incantations Live - Parts 1 & 2

Incantations Live - Parts 3 & 4

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 11 2020 at 12:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 09:46
The results of a recent Top 7 Mike Oldfield albums poll:-

1. Ommadawn (109 points)
2. Tubular Bells (77 points)
3. Incantations (53 points)
4. Hergest Ridge (40 points)
5. Five Miles Out (39 points)
6. Amarok (26 points)
7. Crises (25 points)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 10:18
So many albums and I only own one of them......what a shame.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 10:21
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Which one? Let me guess..... Ommadawn?

The good news is that all of Mike Oldfield's full albums appear to be on YouTube at the moment, so this seemed like the perfect time for a Mike Oldfield albums tribute thread. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 10 2020 at 11:56
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 10:25
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The good news is that all of Mike Oldfield's full albums appear to be on YouTube at the moment, so this seemed like the perfect time for a Mike Oldfield albums tribute. Smile
I can answer for him. Tubular Bells Wink

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 10:25
Thanks for sharing that TB documentary. I'm an even bigger fan of one of my musical heroes Heart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 11:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Thanks for sharing that TB documentary. I'm an even bigger fan of one of my musical heroes Heart

Yes, it was a great documentary. I really enjoyed seeing Mike Oldfield's life story and the background behind the making of Tubular Bells, even though I fell asleep partway through. I'll have to watch it again now to see what I missed while I was asleep. Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 11:54
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

The good news is that all of Mike Oldfield's full albums appear to be on YouTube at the moment, so this seemed like the perfect time for a Mike Oldfield albums tribute. Smile
I can answer for him. Tubular Bells Wink
Sam knows me well.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 11:58

I've heard many of them, I do have some of them as digital downloads. I don't count downloads as part of a "music collection". You don't own anything, show me your digital files??

The man and his story is more interesting to me than his music. I have too much hard rock, heavy metal in me to really connect to his music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 12:33
^ I never download music from the internet. I like to collect my albums the old-fashioned way on CD only. Smile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 12:40

I've heard many of them, I do have some of them as digital downloads. I don't count downloads as part of a "music collection". You don't own anything, show me your digital files??

The man and his story is more interesting to me than his music. I have too much hard rock, heavy metal in me to really connect to his music.

I "hard copy" all my downloads onto CDs! Does that count for my "music collection"?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 12:42
I have paid to download digital files onto my personal hard drives. Of course they are part of my collection.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:16
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I "hard copy" all my downloads onto CDs! Does that count for my "music collection"?

Yes, you get partial credit LOL.......At least you can show me a physical copy of what you bought.

Edited by Catcher10 - August 10 2020 at 13:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:26
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I have paid to download digital files onto my personal hard drives. Of course they are part of my collection.

41 Best Music and Vinyl Record Humor images in 2020 | Humor, Vinyl ...

Analogue 2.0. Or The Amazing Return Of Analogue In The Digital Age ...

The boys prefer fast music. | Vinyl records, Vinyl, Comic book panels

15 Comics With Vinyl Records | DJ rooms

The Peanuts gang cover Pearl Jam. Sort of. - A Journal of Musical ...

Edited by Catcher10 - August 10 2020 at 13:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:42
^ It looks like that guy in the second photo has even more albums in his collection than I have, although mine are all on CD. I hope he has them all arranged in alphabetical order, otherwise how would he ever find anything. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:47
Its just in a different format, would that I had the space or a wife who tolerated such a thing then I'd be right there, as it is I have everything I need.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>