Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog musicians juggling music career and work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 10:23
Well, it IS easy, if you don't actually know what you're talking about. ;-) 

There will always be a few shining examples, although they're getting rarer and rarer. Proper, skilled, improvising musicians are now an incredible rarity. Anyone who's not a musician will say "there are so many good musicians about" as they've heard a few examples. 

But if you're a musician and the guitarist can't transpose a song he's learnt by rote from an album or from tab from G to F, well. 

"Right, you're in F, can you improvise that bit ?"

Simple answer in 99 percent of cases, no, they can't improvise that bit, or any other bit. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - October 19 2021 at 10:24

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 15:51
The situation would be much better if it were not for the widespread theft of music by filesharing etc.  

Napster opened a Pandora's box that shall never be closed.  Once a musician records something and distributes it, it is cast into the ether for all to enjoy at no cost.  Sad. 

That is a big reason why I don't post my own music to PA, YouTube etc.  Also, other musicians were involved and I don't wish to share their music without permission. 

Someday I'll toss something out to show what I do, but working on solving climate change is my priority right now.  Please visit my company, http://neochloris.com

Edited by cstack3 - October 19 2021 at 15:55
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 05:38
^ Video didn't kill the radio star. It was the internet.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 22:36
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Hi Cstack3, I'm about 22 miles south of Manchester. ;-)

Better start swimming now. ;-)

I lived & worked in the Exeter, Devon UK region years ago, fell in love with the place!!  

One lovely day, I was strolling down high street in Exeter & saw a wee bit of a sign, "Manson's Guitar Shoppe.'

I went in and it was like Alice down the rabbit hole!  Little did I know that Hugh Manson was the luthier & repairman for Steve Howe, John Paul Jones & many others!! 

I bought this gorgeous fretless bass at his shop, please see the website:

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 02:39
Very nice indeed ! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678