Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog musicians juggling music career and work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajfennewald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 02:01
Isn't Youtube monetized if the artist has an official channel?  I think the rate is even less than spotify though.  Some bands have every song on youtube officially (babymetal is one I know of)
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 06:09
If music has come down to "can you earn money off YouTube and Spotify", then it's a tragic reflection of what it once was. 

Count me out, I'm not lowering myself to that. 

Aksnitd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aksnitd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 11:37
I've just started down this journey. I only released my first song a day ago :) But the fact of the matter is I'll always be a musician regardless of how much money I make. I make music for it to be heard, and working a job to pay the bills is fine with me. If I can make some money off of it to pay for some gear and software, that'll be fine too. I'm in it for the long haul. I don't expect overnight success at all, particularly since the prog community is so small. It is large overall, but the number of people who will listen to me won't be that large.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2021 at 09:42
Originally posted by Aksnitd Aksnitd wrote:

I've just started down this journey. I only released my first song a day ago :) But the fact of the matter is I'll always be a musician regardless of how much money I make. I make music for it to be heard, and working a job to pay the bills is fine with me. If I can make some money off of it to pay for some gear and software, that'll be fine too. I'm in it for the long haul. I don't expect overnight success at all, particularly since the prog community is so small. It is large overall, but the number of people who will listen to me won't be that large.

Hi,

If I may suggest, don't sell yourself short. You just never know what is going to happen, and how things will turn out. It might be a slow starter and all of a sudden a couple of ears "get it" and things run from there.

I, personally, don't think that it is a good idea to do 2 things at once, and like to think that concentrating on one thing is better all around, but this is me, and though now retired, I have more time to spend on writing and don't have to worry about concentration. 

I have always thought that the "completeness" in someone's work always shows up. For many the "confusion" I see is how many influences show up, as opposed to the following of your vision that can usually only happen when you can concentrate on it, unfailingly. With having to let it go for work and such the sad thing is that coming back to it, the next night is not the same thing, and those changes end up making for something that goes in too many directions, and I have always thought that this is one of the weakest parts of a lot of "progressive" music out there. Not "centered" enough for it to show a very special and great sense of "self".

The very best of luck ... whatever you do, don't quit on yourself!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 14:18
There's a reason I retired from the music biz...
The Prog Corner
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 22:31
I've known of college professors who were able to successfully juggle musical activities with their academic lifestyles!  

Fareed Haque is one of the most amazing jazz-rock/jazz/world music/classical guitarists i know of, and he did this as professor of music at Northern Illinois University in US.  He has since retired to focus upon music - in the US model, he would have retired with a plush pension and full health-care benefits, so he would not have had to scramble for those things like us commoners!   https:///www.fareed.com/bio.html

Prof. Sally Freels is a professor of biostatistics at University of Illinois in Chicago, and she was once keyboard player for a local Chicago prog outfit called "Grand Parade."  Now, she plays bass for a classic Black Sabbath cover band called "Rat Salad!"  http://ratsaladchicago.com/The%20Band.htm

Nice work if you can get it.  However, to make the kind of music we all admire takes a tremendous commitment to the craft, and discipline (Fripp's terms).  It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering. 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 22:40
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

How long were you in for? I was heavy, heavy active with prog rock and metal in my area from like 2006-2013, then local stuff really started diving for all acts. It's all the same sh*t here. Bar bands, etc.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
MundoReviews View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MundoReviews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 14:10
nice
sebprosperi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sebprosperi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2021 at 21:02
Great post, made me feel im not alone in this mess, 
I am the guitar player of prog rock band "Bastian Per". We recently released our second studio album. This is complicated road.

Even though our music is having amazing critical praise, one that I would have never imagined, unfortunately we are still not a profitable band

Edited by sebprosperi - September 29 2021 at 20:31
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2021 at 22:51
Originally posted by sebprosperi sebprosperi wrote:

Great post, made me feel im not alone in this mess, 
I am producer / main composer and guitar player of new prog rock band "Bastian Per". We recently released our second studio album. Since I am feeling confidence in this circle I will lay out all of my numbers for you to have a fresh / updated picture of this problem we are in.

Each of our albums cost me around 5 kus to record, this considers booking 6 to 8 days on a first class studio, getting experienced engineers to mix and master, and others. Although I composed all in my home studio with 0 costs, I believe that these costs are essential to achieve the quality I aim for (Drums need several channels w/ analogue preamps and compressors, mixing is complex and a critical process, etc.). I must add, our country Argentina has been through a couple of currency devaluations which made these costs cheaper in usd, so I am guessing that this same production standards in USA or Europe could be maybe twice as expensive.

Now lets talk about incomes, I believe we have around 50k streams so far, given that spotify pays 0.004 $/stream this is aprox 200 usd of earnings, plus a couple of sales on apple and a few youtube views I have around 300usd on distrokid. Bandcamp sales were surprising for our latest release. 25 new albums sold / 15 debut albums sold and around 10 live albums sold, all this is around 500 usd in profit. Thats it...

Even though our music is having amazing critical praise, one that I would have never imagined (reviewed in PROG magazine, Fireworks, Powerplay, aired in numerous radios, etc.) we are still not even close to being a profitable band! I am -9.2 kusd on a loss!!!!

Luckily I am also an industrial engineer and Ive been working in a multinational company that pays off all of the bands bills, my problem is I recently quit so I will have to carefully see what I come up with to record a 3rd album, crowdfunding?? 

If anyone is feeling charitable and wants to collaborate with our 3rd album funding, you can buy one of our albums on bandcamp, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!
Sebastián.

Thank you, Sebastian!  Welcome to PA!  I'll check it out.  Believe me, music is no easy road! 

Snareman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snareman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 20:39
The Majority of a musicians income comes from live gigs, the best Idea would probably be, brand yourself as psych rock, jam band or jazz rock until you have established yourself well enough LOL
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 21:06
I'm a prog musician, and have been playing and recording for over 40 years now. Have made very little money out of it, but it's not a problem for recording. You can easily multitrack music with high quality, and either burn CDs and do the art yourself, of pay for more professional results.

There's no "juggling" because I have my regular day job which pays the bills. I can record or perform at night and on weekends. That's the only practical way I see of doing it. Even more popular forms of music don't pay the bills in most cases, but it doesn't have to be a problem.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 23:48
^ assume you don't have a family? Wink
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 07:42
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

How long were you in for? I was heavy, heavy active with prog rock and metal in my area from like 2006-2013, then local stuff really started diving for all acts. It's all the same sh*t here. Bar bands, etc.

My first band was The Koo-Lades (1968-1970) and we were Milwaukee's answer to The Partridge Family or The Osmonds (family surname - Lade.)

I was in Florida-based Disorderly Conduct in the 80s - hardcore punk with thrash metal tendencies. 

And in the 2000's I fronted an indie/acoustic act called wedgepiece. 

My music career was an absolute failure on every level.

And I was never a good enough player to attempt anything Prog-esque. 
The Prog Corner
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 08:01
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

...If you want the money, you have to play live. Too many fresh musicians make their album, and maybe even sink a lot of money into it, and then go "where are my fans?" The Internet certainly makes it easier for people to access your music, but it also makes it easier to get lost. Having an exciting live scene makes you stand out. This is hard right now because of the pandemic, but liveSTREAMING is a thing. 

Hi,

The thing that scares me, is the fact that so many folks do not know, or understand, the nature of the abilities of the internet and the advanced materials that can gain one an audience. STREAMING is one of them, but so far, all I have heard is people getting worried that it will be too easy to intercept and steal. Heck, you can easily beat that by saying that a month later a CD of the performance will be available for a small price. (... geee let's see ... CD and label under 50 cents, a small case under 30 cents, maybe a flyer with notes about 10 cents, mailing about 2 dollars ... and it's too expensive?)  Or you can take the other route and do what a very famous group did ... helped everyone copy everything and to this day, their fans trade shows to the most crazy extent we ever thought about, and there is not a single concern or comment about stealing (I'm sure that some fans have indulged, but I imagine that eventually they will find themselves busted ... where you gonna "sell", when you can get it for free?

The technology is there, but I really think that record companies are trying hard to make sure that bands do not stream at all, so they can maintain some semblance of control of any band's chances and abilities to get bigger and better than the company's own product. Less competition, means more for you, so to speak.

The other thing, is that I am really worried about the lack of knowledge and appreciation for today's technology and how people can use it, and I find it scary that more bands do not get involved in it, specially the band with connections to a record company ... the ones that could be an "example" and instead are just playing along with the record company because it is sending them some small compensation that would not even come close to what they could make on their own.

I imagine that doing both work and career in music together is insane, but I have met a lot of musicians that also teach music (or an instrument) and it does not exactly interfere with their evening career, although I think that their "creativity" and ability to help along a group's creation (for example) can possibly take a harsh hit, because you did not spend enough effort on it. 

All of this, leads itself to a musician that works in more immediate ways, and is more intuitive, rather than be one that relies on "conventional" methods to create music ... since the intuitive style is more immediate and ready, and possibly only needs to be recorded in order for it to be learned by other members of the group ... but the sad fact, is that if you listen to a lot of the things that are being added to PA, there are very few that are "original" and give you that kick in the butt that the great big bands of 50 years ago gave us ... so we knew it was NEW and DIFFERENT ... something that too many folks today can not appreciate or see, in my estimation.

Edited by moshkito - September 30 2021 at 08:03
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 01:23
Going back to the OP, "recording an album means great costs", it actually doesn't require a lot of money. With home recording equipment nowadays, you can get equal or better results for a few grand than you could even twenty years ago with a "proper" recording studio.

The real cost is in time. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 04:14
Don't quit your day job. So goes the old saying.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 10:27
Absolutely, Steve. ;-)

What gets me is that non musicians have absolutely zero idea of how difficult it is to make a living out of music, even commercial music. You get some imbeciles with an opinion going on about FEAR but it's nothing to do with FEAR, it's about the way the real world now unfortunately works. 

Going into music ? Prepare for a good kicking. That's why I got out of it. Almost every musician I know has got out of it. Proper ones, that is, not the egomaniacs or deluded neophytes. It will absolutely grind you down. Guaranteed. 

Don't quit the day job. Play with other musicians, get your enjoyment out of it that way. Making a living from it ? Suicide mission. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 11:30
Yes, it's sad but true. At least years ago, record companies were looking for the next big thing and would spring for demos, etc. Now? No way. It's all a home cottage industry. Same deal with the technical side. Recording and sound engineering? What for? Most people record at home. That doesn't mean you can't get enjoyment from it, but just jamming with friends seems the best option.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 12:33
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Absolutely, Steve. ;-)

What gets me is that non musicians have absolutely zero idea of how difficult it is to make a living out of music, even commercial music. You get some imbeciles with an opinion going on about FEAR but it's nothing to do with FEAR, it's about the way the real world now unfortunately works. 

Going into music ? Prepare for a good kicking. That's why I got out of it. Almost every musician I know has got out of it. Proper ones, that is, not the egomaniacs or deluded neophytes. It will absolutely grind you down. Guaranteed. 

Don't quit the day job. Play with other musicians, get your enjoyment out of it that way. Making a living from it ? Suicide mission. 

Agreed.  There used to be ways that musicians could earn some money by doing gigs like wedding receptions, but those have gone away to DJs equipped with laptops.  

I had the opportunity several times to go pro musician but always said "no."  It was the road not traveled.  I'm not as good as many of the musicians I've seen onstage (I play bass & guitar), and many of those are just drifting from bar to bar, outdoor festival to small venue.  Such a waste of talent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>