Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Album Reviews - 100 Words Restriction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Album Reviews - 100 Words Restriction
    Posted: August 14 2020 at 04:58
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

A random thought:
I've found there's a restriction on the length of reviews I make.
Two questions:
- Is this the same for those under reviewer status?
- If so, should someone make a blog or something on the forums where people who are under reviewer status can make reviews without the restrictions, or is that a really stupid idea?
^I posted this on the "Playlist, Ranting and Random Thoughts" thread. I was advised to ask Logan, but I couldn't work out how to message someone specifically, so, after much pondering, I decided to ask the question here. What do you think?
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 06:36
I've never heard of a restriction on review length. I'm sure there are loads of reviews longer than 100 words.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 06:44
and btw there is a Private Messenger function in the forums where you can PM a member. There should be a link at the top left that probably says "0 new messages"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:04
I've never had any restrictions placed on the length of my album reviews. Some of them have been up to 1600 words long. Smile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:10
The 100 word limit isn't a maximum setting, it's a minimum requirement. If you don't have 100 words in your review it won't post. I guess they don't want one sentence rants.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:21
I assumed Santa is talking about a maximum word restriction, who'd want to write a review of less than 100 words?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:44
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

The 100 word limit isn't a maximum setting, it's a minimum requirement. If you don't have 100 words in your review it won't post. I guess they don't want one sentence rants.

I can testify that this requirement still holds for me as a "Prog Reviewer".
I think it's a good rule, although I don't know the background, i.e., what kind of stuff may have been posted as review without that rule in place.
Obviously nobody stops the thread opener or anyone from opening a thread here for <100 words reviews. Not sure if such a thing even already exists. Could be fun and probably would not attract spammers but may rather generate fun reviews like
"Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans - The major problem here is that they did a double album when having really strong musical ideas for hardly a single one. The album is defined by the desire to create something great and exceptional, but they were better equipped for that before and after when they focused more on just doing good music. I don't want to support the attitude behind the album by writing something longer than I have ideas for." 74 words. 

Edited by Lewian - August 14 2020 at 07:45
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 08:18
^ I love Topographic Oceans. Truly probably in my top 100 favorite albums of all time. It doesn't offer instant gratification. It took me 20 years to fully comprehend it.

Anyone can easily write a sentence or two followed by blah blah blah until  you get to a 100 words so not a foolproof system and let's face it, 100 words isn't a lot really.

The only time i wrote a short review under 100 words and added blah blah blah was for a punk rock album that focused on 5 second songs. The entire album was like a minute long or something! What can  you possible say about such a release? Luckily prog likes to engage in lengthier musical expressions.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 09:44
Strange why the question appeared if we see on every album page:

Words counter (only 100 words and more reviews are published, other are considered as a rating only)

Edited by NotAProghead - August 14 2020 at 09:45
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 09:59
Ok, made a mistake. Sorry about that.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
 Post Reply Post Reply