Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Ten John Wetton songs out of KC & Asia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Ten John Wetton songs out of KC & Asia
    Posted: August 16 2020 at 13:11
I know little of the songs he has sung outside of King Crimson and Asia, so which would be the best 10 songs he has sung? Either as a solo artist, or as a part of another band, or as an invited artist... or even the covers he has done on some of the tribute projects around?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 14:04
just go and listen to the two UK albums. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 15:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Agreed.  This is also one of my favorite Genesis songs, and John did a very fine job! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 16:48
I like St Peter on the Mogul Thrash album.

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 17:35

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 20:27
OK, I guess I should try to do this poll again some time later without the asking the list without UK too... I do know those albums, and actually I don't really like them so much.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 20:35
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Agreed.  This is also one of my favorite Genesis songs, and John did a very fine job! 

I do know this one, and it's nice hearing a different aproach to the singing (since I have never been particularly a fan of Gabriel's singing... and Wetton, well it depends, sometimes he's great, sometimes I can't stand him). With Genesis songs, Wetton usually sounds warmer and gives a nice change to the sound of the singing. Yet, I want to get the version from Genesis Revisited live with Wetton, in which I believe Hackett is more faithful to the original song, for though the changes on this one are interesting, in the end the original way of playing it is more enjoyable to me. Also, from the Genesis songs sung by Wetton, for me the highlight is Watcher of the Skies, from Tokyo Tapes too, for though I never really warmed up to the original, it changed just enough on Wetton's version to make me really like it a lot.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 00:10
Still think UK isn't quiet for me, but I did enjoy the Nothing to Lose song.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 00:34
KC and UK Wetton rules; I don't listen to Asia!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 01:15
He played bass on two Uriah Heep albums and sang on one song One Way or Another. Pretty good song. 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 07:25
Check out No Return by Duncan Mackay.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 23:36
So Wetton's solo stuff is so bad, or uninspired, it's not even worth mentioning? I actually sort of expected it, anyway, being I guess mostly pop, but I still wanted to see if there was some gem I might have been missing. The one I ended up finding that I did like well enough was I Can't Lie Anymore, though totally pop indeed.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2020 at 00:55
He only sang on one song on his short sojourn with Wishbone Ash on his only album with the band i.e. Number The Brave. The song is That's That and Wetton also penned it. I love it.

Bad mistake Andy Powell and Laurie Wisefield not giving Wetton significant input into Wishbone Ash; it might have just kept Wishbone Ash credible; they stooped into DSR (Dumb Sh** Rock) for the 2 albums following Number The Brave). Wetton was so disgruntled with how he was treated in Wishbone Ash that he left and formed Asia.........and the rest is history.

Here's That's That

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 13:01
I would recommend 3 albums:

1) Battle Lines - by far his most inspired solo album. Very much like Asia, but with a Fripp guest appearance.
2) Akustika: Live in Amerika - his solo live show on piano and acoustic guitar, covering his whole career.
3) Wetton & Manzanera - very pop, but a whole lotta fun, with Alan White on drums (admittedly a guilty pleasure of mine). 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 13:49
Nice, thanks, I should be checking those ones out.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:40

You may have something there as Wetton's solo career was rather spotty, and he was in more than 10 bands which is a lot of material to wade through looking for favorites. Do like One Way or Another from his Uriah Heep days.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply