Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cressida: Trapped in Time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cressida: Trapped in Time
    Posted: August 23 2020 at 09:45
In Greek mythology, Cressida is portrayed as the unfaithful lover of Troilus in the Trojan War and was also featured in Will Shakespeare's play, Troilus & Cressida. It's a fitting tribute then that she was also the subject of the first song, "To Play Your Little Game" on the first self-titled album by the English Symphonic Prog band, Cressida, recorded in Spring '69. It's One of a Group of three albums, with the sequel Asylum following in 1971, and a collection of demo recordings from the 1970's, released under the title, Trapped in Time: The Lost Tapes (2011).

Winter is Coming Again soon and if you're still feeling Down Down and coming to terms with the Depression of being in lockdown for four months during this extraordinarily frightful year of the Chinese Virus, then I hope the rousing music of Cressida will help lift up your spirits. Smile

I sometimes felt like The Only Earthman in Town walking our deserted streets during the repressive coronavirus lockdown, but I'm Home and Where I Belong right now. The Lights in My Mind are telling me it'll soon be Time for Bed and Tomorrow is a Whole New Day when I'll have a whole new poll to post, hopefully. Smile

All songs and albums in Highlights by Cressida.

CRESSIDA - Trapped in Time: The Lost Tapes (2011)

Track Listing

1. To Play Your Little Game
2. Winter is Coming Again
3. Cressida
4. Depression
5. Sad-Eyed Fairy
6. Lights in my Mind
7. Let Them Come When They Will
8. Situation
9. Only Earthman in Town
10. Down Down
11. Mental State

More videos to follow.....

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 23 2020 at 09:53
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 11:50
CRESSIDA - Cressida (1970)

Side One

1. To Play Your Little Game

2. Winter Is Coming Again

3. Time For Bed

4. Cressida

5. Home and Where I Long to Be

6. Depression

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 23 2020 at 11:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 11:58
Side Two

7. One of a Group

8. Lights In My Mind

9. The Only Earthman In Town

10. Spring '69

11. Down Down

12. Tomorrow Is a Whole New Day

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 14:39
One of my favorite prog/proto prog bands....my friend Tom turned me onto them in the early 90's.
Have them on cd...wish I had the early Vertigo lp's.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 14:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

One of my favorite prog/proto prog bands....my friend Tom turned me onto them in the early 90's.
Have them on cd...wish I had the early Vertigo lp's.
I posted this tribute thread with you in mind, because I know that you're a faithful fan of Cressida, even though Cressida herself has a reputation for being unfaithful. Smile

I'll have the videos for the 1971 Asylum album coming up soon to complete Cressida's brief but brilliant time in the spotlight. Thumbs Up Heart
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 17:40
I have/had both albums and found them pretty boring
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 20:56
^ To me it's a period thing.....there's a sense of 'pastoral' or early ambiance that one either is into or they aren't. A lot of the early Brit things have that quality for me...it's hard to describe exactly what it is. A halcyon time in early England....a time that perhaps never really existed .
The music is often not that complex but relaxing in a gin and tonic manner on the lawn with large shade trees at sunset.
Cool
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 21:25
^ I think I get what you are saying.  Favourite albums are often favourites because they create an atmosphere that envelopes one as much as the music.  You get lost in them and that's a wonderful thing.  Speaking of the English reference, have you heard SECRET GREEN's "To Wake the King"?  It's from a guy who was in the Enid, and it's very much an ode to an idealized England of yore.  It's on my back burner to be reviewed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 01:00
CRESSIDA - Asylum (1971)

Side One

1. Asylum

2. Munich

3. Goodbye Post Office Tower Goodbye

4. Survivor

5. Reprieved

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 01:04
Side Two

6. Lisa

7. Summer Weekend of a Lifetime

8. Let Them Come When They Will

Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 03:38
I love this band, really ! Their music is so sensitive, very close to the firts Caravan.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 03:49
Originally posted by Muskrat Muskrat wrote:

I love this band, really ! Their music is so sensitive, very close to the firts Caravan.

I never get tired of listening to the classic Symphonic Prog of Cressida, even though some would classify it as Canterbury Scene music. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 08:14
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^ I think I get what you are saying.  Favourite albums are often favourites because they create an atmosphere that envelopes one as much as the music.  You get lost in them and that's a wonderful thing.  Speaking of the English reference, have you heard SECRET GREEN's "To Wake the King"?  It's from a guy who was in the Enid, and it's very much an ode to an idealized England of yore.  It's on my back burner to be reviewed

I have not heard of Secret Green....but I'll definitely give it a listen....thanks.
Thumbs Up
Spring and Fantasy also have that early  Brit sound I like.

Edited by dr wu23 - August 24 2020 at 08:15
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply